Author Topic: brandon similar style to RJ in mistborn  (Read 2370 times)

Abrem Sakar

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
brandon similar style to RJ in mistborn
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »
jsut finished the series (took 8 weeks for me to order in a copy of bk 3 from borders in Aus)

and felt it was absolutely awesome.

I can see why RJ et al picked Brandon to write Wot. Very similar style. Especially when you look at the big battle scenes the quick POV changes. Brandons pace much more refreshing than Rjs most reent books and I hope that translates into TGS as well.. what do u guys think?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
Re: brandon similar style to RJ in mistborn
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »
Hmm. I'm not sure about them being similar to be honest, but that could be because I find it very difficult to see around the difference in descriptiveness between Robert Jordan's books and Brandon's. I don't doubt he'll be able to pull off the style of Wheel of Time, so maybe you're right. :)

As for RJ picking Brandon- I don't believe he lined anyone up. From what I've read, it was Harriet who decided on Brandon after RJ died.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 01:50:14 AM »
Hmm. I'm not sure about them being similar to be honest, but that could be because I find it very difficult to see around the difference in descriptiveness between Robert Jordan's books and Brandon's. I don't doubt he'll be able to pull off the style of Wheel of Time, so maybe you're right. :)

As for RJ picking Brandon- I don't believe he lined anyone up. From what I've read, it was Harriet who decided on Brandon after RJ died.
Yeah that's correct. Jordan and Brandon had never met.

As for style: I see what you're saying about the rapid viewpoint changes. For example, SPOILER the cleansing of saidin. SPOILER
However, as for the actual rhythm, flow, sentence length and all that goes into style I don't really see it.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:55 AM »
Just a note- there's a preview of chapter 1 on Tor.com now for those of you who want to judge for yourselves.

It certainly feels both like Brandon and Wheel of Time to me. :)

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
Yeah that's correct. Jordan and Brandon had never met.
I think I remember Brandon saying in one of his blog posts that he saw RJ walk by once.  He asked someone who it was and was confused by the answer of "James Rigney".  When it was further clarified as Robert Jordan, he immediately tried to find where RJ had gone but failed.  And that's the closest he ever came to talking with his favorite author.