Author Topic: Way of the Kings  (Read 8760 times)

douglas

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Way of the Kings
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 02:38:09 AM »
Yes, Brandon can reveal whatever he wants to about Way of Kings.  Bookstore Guy and Peter can't, though, and they're the ones in this conversation.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 03:05:58 AM »
 ??? I'm confused here the book hasn't even been written yet and were talking about chapters in it??
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 03:36:38 AM »
??? I'm confused here the book hasn't even been written yet and were talking about chapters in it??

Some of the posters here test read for Brandon. :)

Really looking forward to reading this (hopefully) next year. :D

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 03:43:09 AM »
Some of the posters here test read for Brandon and gloat about it.  You know who you are.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 07:04:15 AM »
Thank you Peter for telling us about the romance.  I'm (sadly) a romance junkie, and it warms my heart to hear there will be something.  So would you say this will be more of the Vin/El in MB:FE type?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »

Way of Kings is being released next year, and it has been written.  Peter and I like to get people excited about the book by teasing a little.  I'd say it's a tradition of ours :P

Thank you Peter for telling us about the romance.  I'm (sadly) a romance junkie, and it warms my heart to hear there will be something.  So would you say this will be more of the Vin/El in MB:FE type?

I think it is different from his prior novels.  Not sure what Peter thinks--we haven't chatted about WoK yet.

Apart from that, the world in WoK will easily be the most imaginative and alien world of all of Brandon's published works so far.  You guys will dig it.  And really, WoK's release isn't that far off.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:33:22 PM by Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
You guys will dig it.  And really, WoK's release isn't that far off.

Sweet.

This makes me tingly in the pants.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 06:09:21 PM »
Apart from that, the world in WoK will easily be the most imaginative and alien world of all of Brandon's published works so far.  You guys will dig it.  And really, WoK's release isn't that far off.

It's only eight months away, and all.

I think you and I have a very different conception of time! ;) Although I agree that eight months isn't long in the publishing or writing world, it's quite a while for fans! :)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »
there are so many books to keep you occupied until then.  and eight months is nothin.  especially if you read George R R Martin...

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
there are so many books to keep you occupied until then.  and eight months is nothin.  especially if you read George R R Martin...

Heck, if you read Paolini and get ANY kind of news as to what's going on in 8 months you're doing fantastic. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
Heck, if you read Paolini and get ANY kind of news as to what's going on in 8 months you're doing fantastic. xD

Good thing us sane people don't read that hack...

Ehran

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »

I would, if, you know, he actually wrote anything.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »

I would, if, you know, he actually wrote anything.

touché

But seriously, Way of Kings will seriously impress a lot of people.  It doesn't treat readers like they are idiots (like most fantasy), and actually has a learning curve (though not as much as Erikson, which is a good thing--and Erikson is my fav.).  The prologue itself will leaved you stunned.  The PROLOGUE.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 02:26:25 AM »
Brandon is probably adding another prologue that happens thousands of years before that prologue you read, like he wanted to do from the start but convinced himself not to.

I haven't read the 2nd half of the book yet. We're getting it in 2- or 3-chapter chunks in writing group. But once he finishes the 4.0 draft I'll be reading it no matter where we are in group, since at that time it will be on-the-clock work.

My job is awesome.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 07:01:10 AM »
Yes, yes, Peter, brag away.  :P

As for the prolouge, it is freaking brilliant.  I don't know if I'd say stunned, but I definatly wanted to read more of the book after.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"