Author Topic: Way of the Kings  (Read 8440 times)

echigo109

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Way of the Kings
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
Does any one know when the way of the Kings will come out

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Way of the Kings
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »
August 2010, approximately.

There is another thread for Way of Kings.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:12:29 AM »
Read a synopsis over at A Dribble of Ink

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2009/11/asides/an-aside-synopsis-for-the-way-of-kings-by-brandon-sanderson/

The Way of Kings introduces the three protagonists who will be our windows on the strange and wondrous world of Roshar and the drama about to unfold there:

• Dalinar, the assassinated king’s brother and uncle of the new one, is an old soldier who is weary of fighting. He is plagued by dreams of ancient times and legendary wars, visions that may force him into a new role he could never have imagined.

• Merin, a highborn young man who has been brought low, indeed to the most miserable level of military slavery, and like Ben Hur must suffer and struggle to survive and rise again.

• Shallan, a naïve but brave and brilliant young woman who will do anything to save her impoverished noble house from ruin.

These are people we will come to know deeply and take to our hearts. But just as important to The Way of Kings is a fourth key ‘character,’ the unique world of Roshar itself, a richly imagined setting as real as science fiction’s Dune, as unforgettable as epic fantasy’s Middle Earth. Through all the volumes of The Stormlight Archive, Brandon Sanderson will make Roshar a realm we are eager to visit.

Sounds like a Great story to me, can't wait!
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »

That could be either amazing for EUOL or terrible.  If he lives up to it, it will be amazing.  If he doesn't, then it could really stick a wrench in TOR's and even EUOL's gears.

Something that aloof is very . . . sketchy.  I am confident in his writing, but that's a LOT to say.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »

That could be either amazing for EUOL or terrible.  If he lives up to it, it will be amazing.  If he doesn't, then it could really stick a wrench in TOR's and even EUOL's gears.

Something that aloof is very . . . sketchy.  I am confident in his writing, but that's a LOT to say.

I'm pretty confident Brandon has the chops to do it. I think how well he picked up the WoT is a good indication. :)

edit: Something that aloof? You think Brandon's new idea is distant and uncaring? ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:02:27 AM by Ari54 »

traven

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:31 PM »

I'm pretty confident Brandon has the chops to do it. I think how well he picked up the WoT is a good indication. :)

edit: Something that aloof? You think Brandon's new idea is distant and uncaring? ;)

I agree with you there, Ari. Listening to Writing Excuses and reading four Sanderson books over the past 6 months has lead me to believe this is a writer I need to follow for a long time to come. Way of Kings is one of a very select few books that I am antsy at getting in my grubby hands.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:30:36 PM »

Official release date is August 17th.

EDIT:  Aloof can also mean "haughty or snobby" and it seems that TOR is being that way about it to me.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:23:55 AM »
I thought it was a good book.  No need to worry.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:48:11 AM »

This makes me happy.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 06:24:51 AM »

This makes me happy.

Me too.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 09:48:34 PM »
Well I can't wait to read it as I do enjoy epic fantasy and Brandon had answered me on Twitter that there would be two romances in the story. :)
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »
The main romance from the 2003 version of WoK has been pushed off to a later volume. Halfway through the book there isn't any romance yet and I don't expect any in this installment. I think Brandon is focusing on establishing who the characters are in their own right before moving on to the complication of romances. (I'm doubting Romantic Times would look as highly on this book as they did on Elantris and Warbreaker.)

Well, I somewhat take that back. In the first half there is a romantic relationship of sorts that is hinted at, but its nature is a big mystery that's not yet revealed. There are lots of mysteries for which putting the pieces together will take quite a while.

No wait, darn, there was definite flirting going on in a very recent chapter. Sorry; it's been too long since Brandon left on tour so there hasn't been a new chapter covered in writing group for a while. So there very well could be a lot more romantic content in the second half of the book.

Sorry! I'm not doing this quite right today.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:15:32 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 11:37:16 PM »
The main romance from the 2003 version of WoK has been pushed off to a later volume. Halfway through the book there isn't any romance yet and I don't expect any in this installment. I think Brandon is focusing on establishing who the characters are in their own right before moving on to the complication of romances. (I'm doubting Romantic Times would look as highly on this book as they did on Elantris and Warbreaker.)

Well, I somewhat take that back. In the first half there is a romantic relationship of sorts that is hinted at, but its nature is a big mystery that's not yet revealed. There are lots of mysteries for which putting the pieces together will take quite a while.

No wait, darn, there was definite flirting going on in a very recent chapter. Sorry; it's been too long since Brandon left on tour so there hasn't been a new chapter covered in writing group for a while. So there very well could be a lot more romantic content in the second half of the book.

Sorry! I'm not doing this quite right today.

There's romance.  I very much like the tone of it.  Without going into any sort of detail (my NDA with Brandon--always wanted to say that...), it is handled well, and differently than his prior works.

I cannot wait to see the art for this book.  Internal and Cover.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:02:55 AM »
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 02:32:11 AM »
As far as I know, Brandon is on an NDA for Wheel of Time, not Way of Kings.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.