2 (9.1%)
spelling?
8 (36.4%)
nicknames?
4 (18.2%)
other users?
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: All Things Username  (Read 9966 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: All Things Username
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
My sister knows someone in Estonia whose actual name is Eero.

Yeah, I know Eero is actually a name (a fact i found out years after being called it)

but i've honestly been unable to find anything on something ever having used Eerongal for anything, be it name, person, place, thing, or just a word. So until i find something to contradict that, I assume it's unique to me, though it's honestly doubtful that's true, since i'm sure something somewhere at some point in time in history has probably uttered/used it.

Unlike a friend of mine who always uses "Tinari" (he got it by modifying Tan'aari from D&D) and later found it's just plain a real name, and occasionally has to deal with someone already having the name picked.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 05:42:07 AM »
Wilson can probably tell you more about my current TWG handle than I can. ::)

Most everyone's probably caught the reference to the David Eddings character Silk. Yes, that's who I'm named after (and no, I didn't actually know the character when I was first... ah...shall we say christened?).

A few other TWGers (I think it was Wilson, CthulhuKefka, and maybe GreenMonsta?) were trading snarky remarks over the then-incarnation of the Stupid Titles thread, and comments were made about my questionable morals. (Student of Deception, remember.) So, I am a Bad Person, and apparently I remind other people of Silk. Voila.

As for my actual username, which I use almost everywhere but here, Raethe was the protagonist of my very second attempt at a novel, and the very first that came anywhere near approaching the scope of an actual novel. It's one of those skeletons in the closet that I don't really like to talk about anymore, 'cuz while endless rewrites brought it respectably close to book length, they didn't make it good.

This was the Golden Idea. I came up with the character and her story - and wrote the first draft - at twelve, and did at least two complete rewrites through high school; trashed old drafts and rewrote it beginning to end. (Or perhaps not to end. I apparently didn't finish my latest draft of it, though I came close; but I don't remember if that was a complete rewrite, what number it was if so, or whether it was one of my many editing passes).  I planned sequels. In fact, a friend of mine and I had plans to co-author at least two sequels, one focusing on each of our darlings' stories.  We planned to switch POVs - and authors - every chapter. I think we got maybe three or four chapters in.

I was also starting to get into forum-based RP games at the time, and so the name - and often the character - started to wander online. I started using the name for pretty much everything online. Even when I go by a different handle, or in online conversations with people who know my real name, I still get addressed as Raethe most of the time. Again, except for here. :P

It's only been taken in a couple of instances, Skype being the only one I can remember at the moment. If you do a google search for it, you'll probably find me... but not just me. Apparently it's actually a somewhat popular boys' name in Germany... and here I thought I invented it!

I have no idea if this link is still there, but I also found a fantasy drawing of some character named Raethe, on a DevArt or something. Someone commented about how the artist had "really captured his soft soul", which some of my friends quoted at me nigh-constantly after that. It irked me, you see. Not only was I not unique - imagine! - but my character was neither male nor particularly soft-souled.

Also, I used to spell it Reathe, not Raethe. I changed it because people kept mistakenly pronouncing it "Wreath", another thing which used to annoy me unreasonably.  (It's pronounced like "wraith" if that statement makes you wonder. Which means I can't write stories about particular kinds of ghosts anymore. Habitual spelling gets in the way. Yes, I actually did write about howling Raethes once, or something along those lines. It was late.)

Well, this was ... incredibly boring. Sorry?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 05:46:57 AM »
Huh.  I always thought it was "ray-thee(rhymes with tree)".  Good to know the proper pronouncation.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 06:00:18 AM »
Interesting, Raethe...Silk....Good to know. And it's fantastic to know I was pronouncing it right. I wasn't sure if I was.

Just so you know, Monsta was the one who dubbed you it. I believe it was after you were talking about throwing fleas on other people on other paths...And you said you were a spectacular shot (this convo was with Kefka, I remember, and I think it was around this time when I said honor is lame....).

Anyway. Yes. Did I ever mention that I have an incredible memory? Scary-good, is what it is. No normal person would remember conversations that took place about 8 months ago....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 06:22:57 AM »
I do get Raethey, rhymes with tree, on occasion. Not the way the original name is intended though.

As long as that's your spectacular memory and not your spectacular lack of life, Wilson, I'm not too concerned. :P

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 06:26:46 AM »
I suppose it's better than a specular lack of life, no?

Sorry. I always think sound-alikes. *headasplode*
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:45:58 AM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »
I am a frog and probably have the easiest name on here to pronounce so I hope you got it already. Now if only I had a interesting/embarrassing reason for being a frog....

The truth is I don't use many online things and this is the only place where I am referred to anything other than my first name, so I kind of panicked when it came time to pick a username. I came up with frog in the end because I have zero imagination and a wonderful sister that liked to call me Frogger as a kid because of my wide-eyes. And the quote, 'Have a popover, Froggie,' comes from a real old Muppet movie, The Frog Prince, where the evil witch wanted to stop the frog from revealing her secrets so she force fed him popovers. So in context, it means 'shut up, frog,' which is something I feel people wanting to tell me anytime I start typing since most of my posting is snarky comments over in RE. Yeah, so it all fits. Only drawback is most people assume that I am a boy until they learn better. Ah, well. :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:08:49 AM by Frog »
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
As long as that's your spectacular memory and not your spectacular lack of life, Wilson, I'm not too concerned. :P

...And if it's both?
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
I am a frog and probably have the easiest name on here to pronounce so I hope you got it already. Now if only I had a interesting/embarrassing reason for being a frog....

Good excuse to convince all the guys to kiss you?
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
Re: All Things Username [AND NAMES!]
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 09:58:19 AM »
Just for fun, I figure I'll talk about ALL my usernames/Character names.  ;)  (Also, small Japanese lesson... and because I'm bored and procrastinating from actually writing... damn internet)

Strider/StriderA - Already covered.
fates_endless_destiny - Yahoo IM - I had [email protected], but linked it to a SBC Global account (which is run by yahoo) back when I was stationed in Monterey, CA.  When I moved, I canceled my account, and they canceled my username... even though I had it for a good 5 years before linking it.  Grr.  fates_endless_destiny was created when I joined some poetry writing groups on yahoo groups, and it's stuck ever since.  I still can't get stridera back... :/

All my other names were first thought up in games... well.. even Strider was my first character on a Mud.
Utaboshi - Current protagonist in my book.  Japanese for 'starsong'  Started as a Everquest Bard->WOW Pally
Kuragari - Utaboshi and his sisters last name.  Japanese for Shadow/Darkness.  Rogue in WoW
Gishiko - Secondary Character in my book.  Gishi is japanese for Feigned death, and ko is added on to mean child.  Basic idea was Child of Feigned Death/undead child. or something similar.  Started as a Death Knight in WoW.

Other (relevant) WoW characters.
Hikari - My main WoW character.  Tauren Druid.  Means Light in Japanese.
Samui - WoW Frost Mage.  Means cold in Japanese.

(Note:  I quit wow a while ago after spending 4 nights a week raiding for really nice equipment and then having it all turn to crap overnight when a new patch came out.  Decided that when it became a second job, it just wasn't much fun.)

Old MUD Names:
Rhuarc - Warrior.  Stolen from WoT;  Gonff - Thief.  Stolen from Redwall Series; Trider - Cleric.  Hacked up Strider.  Majix - Mage and Braveblade - Warrior... no imagination there.

Other.. non-cool usernames...
6506437 - icq; mjones - work alias;

Wow, you actually read all that?
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »
FRR - I always said you were pronouncing Raethe weird ;)

Hmm, my name? Well, when I was trying to think of a username in oh, 7th grade, I wanted something that sounded cool. So I took Chaos solely on the basis that it sounded cool. The numbers I must have generated from nowhere. There is no story behind them, but they always seemed attached to the "Chaos" part of my name since forever.

Yes, numbers aren't original. But hey, at least it's unique...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 02:45:11 PM »
I didn't make up my name. It was given to me. One of my friends who was a BS fan long before I was,made this account for me. He knew I was an Alcatraz fanatic so that's were my name came from. My full username though is BastilleVianitelle but I shortened it.
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »

Good excuse to convince all the guys to kiss you?
That would be extremely awkward with that whole 'they assume I'm a boy' thing. No, I think I am better off waiting for a face to face contact. I heard it works better that way....  ;)
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 04:24:50 PM »
Why would somebody assume that a frog was a boy? In my experience, frogs' genders are about as split as humans'. Human frogs (or humans that call themselves frogs), OTOH, are more likely to be girls. Because frogs are one of those "cute animals".

Having never read Alcatraz, I assumed that Bastille was a reference to the place. As in Bastille Day. Then I read all of these strange things not quite referencing either the place or the user, and realized that something fishy was going on. The spoiler thread gave you away.

I once went by Maeric. It was only after I stopped using that account that I found out that Maeric is an Aiel. Ah, my subconscious is great sometimes. Lodestar, veeee, and piggydog are older, with the latter being the oldest. I doubt it's possible to find anything relevant under piggydog. I haven't used that since 1998 or something. Those are all of the names all I can remember.

Ee, I meant to reply to your post earlier, but it slipped my mind. I thought you were a girl until the Pie VS Cake thing because of the "gal" ending. :P I thought there must be some deep story or non-english root type explanation. *Bill Nye announcer voice* Now you (I) know.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 04:35:48 PM »
Ee, I meant to reply to your post earlier, but it slipped my mind. I thought you were a girl until the Pie VS Cake thing because of the "gal" ending. :P I thought there must be some deep story or non-english root type explanation. *Bill Nye announcer voice* Now you (I) know.

Haha, nope, i'm a guy. What was said in the great pie v cake debate of 2009 that gave it away, out of curiousity?

that's the first time that (i've known) anyone mistook me for a woman. Though this could be because most people who know the username either know me, or it is in some form of game, in which i always (generally) play male characters.

Also: Don't frogs change their gender if the conditions are right and it's needed or something? That would honestly be kinda cool to be able to do that. Every morning be like "Hmmm....do i wanna be a guy or girl today...?"

Honestly, on the internet, I just go with the basic assumption everyone is male until told otherwise, as there's supposedly more men using the internet than women
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:38:18 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.