Author Topic: The Night Angel Trilogy  (Read 5070 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
The Night Angel Trilogy
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »
http://www.timewastersguide.com/review/1692/The-Night-Angel-Trilogy

Yes I know it's been a long time since I posted a review. So sue me. Summer was crazy busy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:25:32 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: The Night Angel Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
I tried reading book 1 of this series, and found it bleh. Of course I have just read Abercrombie, which is full of assassins and mercs. of the highest quality. Maybe that made Weeks' stuff dull for me.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:23:29 PM »
I tried reading book 1 of this series, and found it bleh. Of course I have just read Abercrombie, which is full of assassins and mercs. of the highest quality. Maybe that made Weeks' stuff dull for me.

I agree that Weeks' prose cannot compare to a writer of Abercrombie's caliber. And the story is more your mainstream fantasy kind of stuff, so it was a little more fluffy. But I found it a lot easier to handle because the characters were more likable and weren't as gloomy as Abercrombie's stories. The series does get better in the second book.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:55:49 AM »
I read the first book as well and only barely managed to slog through to the end.  I think I'm  a lot more sensitive to the bad (IMO) melodrama that the book is soaked in.  I very much wish the characters had been developed...at all.

Reading it was very much like listening to my son and his 12 year old friends engage in a 'you know what would be cool...?' session after watching 6 graphically violent films in a row while pickling themselves in Mountain Dew. 

I give it a fairly vigorous 'Bleh' as opposed to Bookstore guy's rather timid 'bleh.'
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Slamel

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:41:24 AM »
But I found it a lot easier to handle because the characters were more likable and weren't as gloomy as Abercrombie's stories.

It's easy to like someone you don't know anything about  :P.  Paper thin development doesn't do it for me.  However I can see the place a fluffy, popcorn fantasy novel like this series can fill.

Carl Gleba

• Level 1
  • Minion War Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Dimension Press
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
I read the first book a few months ago and it drew me right in. I liked the writing style of weeks and the characters grew on me quickly. I bought the remaining two books and will start them as soon as I finish what I'm currently reading.

Great review Nessa  :)

JakobLayn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
I just finished reading the first book. I liked it i agree that maybe there shouldbe more character development but other than that i wasnt to dissapointed. Course ive never read any of abercrombies stuff so... anyways im holding out final judgement when i finish the trilogy.
The fear to explore the unknowns in life is to deny yourself all the joys and happiness as well

JakobLayn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »
Question. is there a forum for the book called Lies of Locke Lamora if so please let me know thanks =)
The fear to explore the unknowns in life is to deny yourself all the joys and happiness as well

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »
Use the search function next time, please. Just searching "Locke Lamora" showed that there's only one dedicated thread, and it's for Nessa's review of the book. The mods may have a problem with you using it for a discussion of the book, but only because it's such an old topic. Start a new one and if they have a problem with it they can merge them.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »
we reviewed it (Locke Lamora) more recently on our blog (without spoilers of course).

I'm going to try to force myself through the Night Angel stuff.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/