Author Topic: Why does this book have a cover from Elantris?  (Read 1969 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Why does this book have a cover from Elantris?
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Lifelode-Jo-Walton/dp/1886778825/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250538964&sr=1-7

Seriously, why? I didn't think they reused covers, and it isn't even published by Tor.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Why does this book have a cover from Elantris?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
My first thought was that it was a self published book, but it looks like it was published by a small group out of New England.

My bet is that the cover wasn't used with permission.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »
No bet. Stephan Martiniere retained rights to his artwork—it's just the whole image that can't be reused as a cover. Zooms on particular parts of the image are fine.

NESFA Press is highly respected and puts out lots of great books from famous writers in the field. I bought their hardcover of Falling Free by Bujold (it was only released in paperback before).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:14:44 PM »
Can anybody point me to an image of the spine for Eye of the World? I could swear that I have seen artwork from the spine reused on another book. It seems that occasionally images do get reused.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »
Ookla, does this sort of thing happen often? Because I can't actually remember ever seeing two books with the same cover, even if one is just a detail of the other.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »
Sure. In fact, there's yet another book that has detail from the Elantris cover. Also, foreign publishers very often reuse artwork for unrelated books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »
I once ran across a blog that was entirely dedicated to books with the same cover art. There were many pages when I visited it last fall, so it's probably massive by now. If I could find it.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie