Author Topic: Why America's Economy Sucks  (Read 1746 times)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Why America's Economy Sucks
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/29127316/the_great_american_bubble_machine/1

The article above is a long one, but if even half of what it says is true, then it's really worth reading. It pretty much explains why all of the economic crap going on today is happening. From gas prices, the mortgage crisis, the bailout and soon we'll have this new carboncredit market.

It was really eye-opening, enlightening, and shocking. Steam will probably be shooting out of your ears after reading it . . .
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Why America's Economy Sucks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »
I'm glad that some Americans, at least, are starting to realize how much they've been screwed by big business and the government lately...  and I've certainly seen nothing which seems to suggest things will get better under the new administration; on the contrary...
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »
Reminded me a bit of the book I read and hated, "None Dare Call It Conspiracy". Minus 90% of the madman rambling (and anti-Jew, anti-European, anti-human, and anti-Communistic crap). I'm inclined to believe that GS & Co. hasn't purposely engineered any market depressions. IMO, they are guilty only of criminal greediness, and Americans as a whole (as a most?) are guilty of criminal idiocy and desire for a free ride through life, thereby sponsoring the lives of excess of adze-faces at places like GSnC.

No offense, but my money's on the greedy bloodsuckers.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »
I hate politicians....nuff said
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:16:48 AM »
I'd like to point out that one can avoid the 7-page split by clicking the printable link, which gives the whole article in one page.

Reading this article, I had visions of the tyrants of old, growing fat on the backs of a miserable impoverished populace; only instead of becoming kings to accomplish their goals, the thieves become bigwig bankers. Our government is structured to try and avoid ever allowing a small group of evil men to run it, as has been the case for so many governments throughout the history of the world; but it appears completely unprepared for the rise of private interests that accomplish for their constituents the goals traditionally pursued through explicit governance: to grow rich and powerful at the expense of anyone and everyone.

It's possible that none of it is true or most of it is inaccurate. Everyone loves a scapegoat and good conspiracy theory. I wish I knew more about this stuff so I could better vet the truthfulness of the article. It makes, however, a very compelling case, and the pattern of bubble-inflating for fun and profit matches very closely what we've seen in the recent past.

A good (if cholera-inducing) read. I suppose I'm glad you posted it, even if it's now got me feeling depressed.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
Interesting read, although this article is from Rolling Stone, not exactly a source for truth and unbiased journalism.  Saying any one group of people is somehow engineering recessions for personal gain is a bit obtuse, if you ask me.  Yes there are greedy, evil  people out there.  What this article fails to account for is the repeated warnings about the over-inflation of housing prices and the iminent collapse that was sure to follow.  Was Goldmann-Sachs responsible for all the independantly-run mortgage companies that gave out loans the recipients could not afford?  This Taibbi guy should watch "A Beautiful Mind" a couple of times.  You can find patterns in anything if you look hard enough. 

Actually, I found some of the responses to be quite entertaining.  One guy praised the "courage" of the writer for taking on this issue.  Right, like someone's going to come to the guy's house.  Ironically, if these people were as afraid of this exposure as believed, the article would never have been published.  There's also a guy who is convinced that we do not live in a capitolist economy.  Of course he also writes that the Articles of Confederation was subverted by the Constitution, as if to say the Constitution is evil.  These people are hilarious!  They spout off about regulations and accountability, yet I would bet most of them haven't done a lick of research to see how true the article is.  Lemmings, all of them. 

Ryos - I believe most Politicians are well-intentioned, but lose perspective over time (there are always exceptions of course).  This is why all government positions should have term limits. 

Kaz - Politicians are not the problem, we are.  We allow them to become corrupt by not paying attention to things until they bite us on the ass.  Besides, would you rather we go to a pure democracy?  Do you really trust America to make rational, sound decisions on issues as complicated as healthcare reform, bailouts, etc?  People get their news from Rolling Stone, for crying out loud!   ;)
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 03:21:20 AM »
I hate politicians but i never said they are at fault i actually agree with you on most everything you said...but the people with the financial support and the desire to be politicians meaning the only candidates suck...and yes the only feesable large scale government is a small group of people so a pure democratic society wouldn't work.  And you mentioned something about unbiased journalism you mean there is a person who rights that!!!! Give the schmuck an award!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz