Author Topic: Writing Group  (Read 8537 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Writing Group
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
A friend of mine and I are intrested in putting together a face-to-face writing group here in provo, and I was wondering who all would be intrested.  I feel it's only fair to warn you though that this wouldn't be your typical writing group.  So far, this is the scheduel we have:

First week: read that months submissions and talk about them.  Standard writing group stuff
Second week: LARPing.  For those who needed we would dress up in costume and act out scenes from group memeber's work to help them figure out the blocking, diolouge and other things they might have issues with.
Third Week: Learning -- each month we would research a different topic and then teach each other about it.  (ie - old vs new look at the fae, sword play, ect)
Fourth Week: I haven't figured this one out yet.  But I'm sure we can work out something.

So, if there's anyone intrested in doing something like this, let me know.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how many people would actually want to do these this.

DISCLAIMER:  While dressing up on week 2 may not be required you we will try to coax you into it.  And if most people do and you do not, we will tease you.  All in good fun though...
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

sortitus

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: Writing Group
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »
What about week five? Week five has been known to happen in some months. Also, if I lived anywhere near there I would join up! :'(
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:12:34 AM »
I've figured out what would happen in the fourth week.  We would analyze popular media.  (IE watch a movie and then discuss what they did well, what sucked, where character development was, when conflict was added, ect)

As for week five it would be spent sacraficing virgins... of course, eventually I'd have to go to, but that's beside the point.   ;)  Nah, I dunno what we'd do then.  I guess we'd burn the bridge when we came to it.  (With an approprate offering tied to it, of course.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 05:18:52 AM »
You might have a hard time finding virgins, since I sacrifice one every time I start a new project. Sorry about that.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:27:38 AM »
Well, notice I never said they had to be females.  It's surprising how many men I've found for my own needs.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:00:07 AM »
I never did, either. :P

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeoZDN5x-qs
Go about two minutes in for the one that relates to this conversation, though it is all pretty funny.
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:35:23 AM »
He's finding it slim pickings, apparently.

Toldya. It's cause I was there first. :D

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »
I think that sacrificing virgins in a writing group may be a bad idea.

Writer #1: "So, we need to sacrifice people occasionally, but I can't think of the demographic that we should sacrifice to best appease the gods of writing."
Writer #2: "Well, we should probably sacrifice people that have something in common with unpublished authors."
Writer #1: "Good thinking. What do all unpublished authors have in common?"
Writer #2: "We're all sexually and professionally frustrated."
Writer #1: "Ah, very good, we'll sacrifice virgins then!"

Maybe picking a group that won't necessitate preying on members at any time would be best. I propose sacrificing people with good hand-eye coordination.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:08:09 PM by sortitus »
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »
I thought all struggling artists were broke.  When you're broke, you tend to stay home.  Wouldn't they be having more sex?  It is free, after all.  Well, usually...
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:51:31 AM »
That's artists. They have style, flair, and an aptitude for socializing. Most writers I know read and write in all of their free time, leaving little time for relationships as casual as those that pay dividends. Of course, I've heard that when two writers of opposite genders meet, laundry bills go up exponentially. No, I really haven't.

I don't personally know any unpublished authors who are not frustrated, so I just assumed that was the deal with all of them. Myself being the notable exception, obviously. I'm famously successful with the ladies and all of that nonsense.

We really need a proper shifty eyes emoticon on this forum.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 01:15:44 AM »
Maybe picking a group that won't necessitate preying on members at any time would be best. I propose sacrificing people with good hand-eye coordination.

Bad idea. These are spec fic authors you're talking about (you know - professional nerds, or with aspirations as such) which means that the ones who don't practice fencing for "research" probably all play video games.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 02:49:38 AM »
Blast it all! How about Twilight fans who are also virgins? We won't run short.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 02:58:09 AM »
That's a bad idea they may be into stuff like that...i mean they are turned on by people who feel like corpses and are disco balls in uv
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 03:03:09 AM »
Hmm... I see your point. We don't want to have to sacrifice an entire screaming horde of fangirls. That would be rather time consuming. What if we told them that we could only turn one person into a vampire and if they brought anyone else we wouldn't choose them? Would that work?