Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 70332 times)

Nightfire107

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #315 on: May 12, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »
Okay so i have read all of brandon's published books and i have a couple questions that would be better found out by just asking them here.
1) What is a Shard
2) The origen of shards are?
3) anything else that you all deem need to know

thanks for future answers.
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 12, 2010, 10:07:55 AM »
Okay so i have read all of brandon's published books and i have a couple questions that would be better found out by just asking them here.
1) What is a Shard
2) The origen of shards are?
3) anything else that you all deem need to know

thanks for future answers.

Welcome to TWG.

Here is a bit of a summary of things you may want to know.

At one point there was a person/thing called Adonalsium.  At some point Hoid (A character who is VERY influential and found in all of the Cosmere universe books [these books include all of his current adult fiction novels]) was around Adonalsium.  When he was there (It is not clear if he caused it or just witnessed it), but Adonalsium shattered and is now in Shards.  These Shards cause lots of things to happen.  Looking through this topic you can find the Shards we know about and the ones that we theorize about.

That is a general break down of what you /need/ to know.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 12, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
Ah gracias.

So does adonalsium break during the bok hoid is introduced in. ( i want to say liar of something)
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2010, 02:06:41 AM »

I'm not sure.  Brandon's answer to ANYONE wanting to read Liar of Partinel is "I don't like how it turned out and it spoils way too much."

EDIT:  If you dig around enough you can find the first 6 or so chapters of the original version and 3 or so chapters of the rewrite.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2010, 04:56:59 AM »
oooo. Dig where? just a general direction

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2010, 05:23:52 AM »

Just like through the forums.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 15, 2010, 03:26:56 AM »
yeah, its somewhere in here...i found it a couple weeks ago and it was still there though he said he would take it down...

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »

Yeah, he forgot to.  ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2010, 05:51:22 AM »
Sheesh, I just googled it.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

atlas689

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been said yet or not, but my personal theory is that Hoid is NOT a shard but is rather trying to repair the original shard of adonalsium. If you look back to Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker, Hoid has a small but vital part in repairing the individual shard of each world. In Mistborn you had the out of balance situation between Ruin and Preservation. In Elantris you had the physical harm done to the Dor. In Warbreaker you had the abuse of Endowment via Susebron with the priests. Hoid's actions were very small actions, but they helped in succeeding to repair each Shard. Maybe the original shard of Adonalsium can only be remade when each individual shard is in balance. Its just a theory that is most likely waaaaay off. Thoughts? :)

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2010, 09:13:02 PM »
Hoid isn't technically a shard, though by the time you meet him in most books he's bound to one, so it's nearly the same thing.

So Hoid isn't technically a shard, but he is bound to one.

Hoid  (person) is bound to a shard, just like Ati (person) was bound to Ruin (shard), and Leras (Person) was bound to Preservation (shard).

As for trying to repair "the original shard of Adonalsium"(it should just be Adonalsium ;) ), I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he was. How or why, I'm not sure.
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 20, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
If he did cause the Shattering, and he is trying to repair it, then suddenly I love his character a whole lot more. A man with the power to kill gods, travelling worlds to make amends for his past. Wonderful.

atlas689

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
Or it could be that Hoid was Adonalsium. Remember when Leras' body fell out of the sky and he was no longer Preservation? Maybe its a similar situation with Hoid, but Hoid survived the "fall". Maybe Hoid/Adonalsium could not hold all that power together and facets of it split off when Adonalsium "fell" and became Hoid.

I'm not sure.  Brandon's answer to ANYONE wanting to read Liar of Partinel is "I don't like how it turned out and it spoils way too much."

EDIT:  If you dig around enough you can find the first 6 or so chapters of the original version and 3 or so chapters of the rewrite.

Are there any other similar digital copies of Brandon's books out there on the net available to the public? I seem to remember reading about something called Dragonmount very late last night and how there was one copy on some type of internet library (not sure how that works).

I personally loved those first 6 chapters of the Liar of Partinel. The world building was insanely intriguing. What I really started to wonder is if there was a sun and sky, or if the entire world was completely white (much like the "load" rooms in the Matrix movies)? One has to imagine that the sky would be white since it would be reflecting the largest mass color (which is the skullmoss).  I didn't like the rewrites very much though.

I understand that most of the concepts in the Liar were cannibalized, but I would give a lot to read more story set in skullmoss land.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:45:52 PM by atlas689 »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 21, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »

You are talking about Dragonsteel.  You have to get it through inter-library-loan in order to read it.

You can get the first three chapters of the revised Liar of Partinel.  Uhm, a few chapters of Scribbler.  I think that's it.  There may be more, but I'm not sure off the top of my head what I saved myself and what was emailed to me.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2010, 07:25:33 AM »
Or it could be that Hoid was Adonalsium. Remember when Leras' body fell out of the sky and he was no longer Preservation? Maybe its a similar situation with Hoid, but Hoid survived the "fall". Maybe Hoid/Adonalsium could not hold all that power together and facets of it split off when Adonalsium "fell" and became Hoid.

There was no "surviving the fall" the reason that Leras and Ati fell out of the air is because they were dead, the part of the Shard, the Cognitive aspect, that was Leras and Ati versus Preservation and Ruin didn't exist anymore, all the energy gone.  What essentially happened was that their original human bodies appeared with no mind in them.

While it might be possible that Hoid is what is left of Adonalsium, though I doubt it, this is not a valid arguement for that particular opinion.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?