Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 70573 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #255 on: December 18, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
I don't think that the number of magic systems is as directly correlated to the number of shards as has been assumed. After all, the magics are derived from the interactions between peoples' physiology and the shard(s) fuelling them so, theoretically, shards could exist that can't fuel a magic system on their own. It has also been confirmed by Brandon, see quote, that a single shard is capable of fuelling multiple systems on their own if they so desire.

1.  Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the metallic arts.  Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike.  Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy.  But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.   

I know that it's probably not as simple as my theory.  I'm just having fun.
Nature hates being reified.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #256 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37:44 PM »
Is Brandon good at math?
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2009, 04:51:06 AM »
Wow.  I'd seen this thread over the last few months but didn't read through much of it as I didn't understand what it was about at the time.  Now that I've caught on (and finished Warbreaker), I'm finding myself almost buying the Elantris & Mistborn paperbacks.  Primarily because my originally purchased hardcovers are in California and I'm in Texas (El Paso 'area').

Unfortunately, after reading all 18 pages, I'm not quite sure where some of this data stems from, how this whole tangent started, the whole of the shards coming to light, etc.  If anyone feels so inclined, could you point me to some resources for further study on this topic? :)  I'd muchly appreciate it.

And lastly...

But Roshar has at least 30

Exactly! We're gonna jump to simple algebra for this one... If A=B and B=C then A=C
(At least 30) = (Any number greater than 30)
(31) = (A number greater than 30)
(31) = (At least 30)

IF.

A = "my car"
B = "a mode of transportation"
C = "my bicycle"

THEN:

My car = my bicycle? ;)

You have no idea how infuriating it can be to have lived with a philosophy major (now a professor in ethics, I believe, at a university I haven't asked about recently).

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2009, 05:27:45 AM »
My stepbrother is a student at UTEP and my cousin Brandon Wolfram broke the all time scoring record for UTEP's basketball program in the late 90's & was on the cover of ESPN for it.

P.S. for those who don't know. UTEP (university of texas @ El Paso) was Texas Southwestern? anyways some direction then western and Glory Road is based off the story of it's all black starting team (the first one in NCAA).
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2009, 05:47:06 AM »
Unfortunately, after reading all 18 pages, I'm not quite sure where some of this data stems from, how this whole tangent started, the whole of the shards coming to light, etc.  If anyone feels so inclined, could you point me to some resources for further study on this topic? :)  I'd muchly appreciate it.

There was a Hero of Ages spoilers thread immediately after it came out, and a lot of our background info came from there.  I think that it can be found here.

Much of the rest comes from third-hand reports of questions answered at signings and is spread out wherever relevant in the forums.

But Roshar has at least 30

Exactly! We're gonna jump to simple algebra for this one... If A=B and B=C then A=C
(At least 30) = (Any number greater than 30)
(31) = (A number greater than 30)
(31) = (At least 30)

IF.

A = "my car"
B = "a mode of transportation"
C = "my bicycle"

THEN:

My car = my bicycle? ;)

You have no idea how infuriating it can be to have lived with a philosophy major (now a professor in ethics, I believe, at a university I haven't asked about recently).

Well, Mr. J is relying somewhat on unstated but true properties of the ordinal numbers that emphatically do not apply to poorly defined sets.
Nature hates being reified.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
Okay, so you've all lost me with all the math (I kinda' get it, but I really do suck at math).  However, I had an intresting question.  What type of shard is in Silence Divine?  I mean, we know it's not endowment since that's WB's, but it's got to be something close to that.  After all, it grants the powers, but just tempoaraly.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »
There was a Hero of Ages spoilers thread immediately after it came out, and a lot of our background info came from there.  I think that it can be found here.

Much of the rest comes from third-hand reports of questions answered at signings and is spread out wherever relevant in the forums.

Ah!  Another long thread to read :D  I appreciate it and will have to dive in over the winter break. :)   I've thrown a few tiny pieces from this thread into an excel file, hoping that by setting everything so side by side, something will appear. -_-  haha

Well, Mr. J is relying somewhat on unstated but true properties of the ordinal numbers that emphatically do not apply to poorly defined sets.

Certainly.  Mathematical concepts are far more defined than philosophical concepts but the formula appears in both systems.  I think I've been trained to think in the philosophical sense, having been subjected to quite similar conversations on a weekly basis previously.  ???

My stepbrother is a student at UTEP and my cousin Brandon Wolfram broke the all time scoring record for UTEP's basketball program in the late 90's & was on the cover of ESPN for it.

P.S. for those who don't know. UTEP (university of texas @ El Paso) was Texas Southwestern? anyways some direction then western and Glory Road is based off the story of it's all black starting team (the first one in NCAA).

Huh.  I saw the movie when I was in Houston.  In fact, we had a couple of the players show up at the theater during it's sneak preview.  I never, should I say, remembered anything that would have linked the two for me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »
I could be mistaken but my step-mother swears it and she attended UTEP and my father made an off hand comment during a preview about my cousin....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 19, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
Wikipedia supports Kaz.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #264 on: December 19, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
Neat.  I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise, I just mustn't have paid enough attention back when the movie came out to have remembered it by the time I moved here. :)

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2009, 12:18:30 AM »
Wikipedia supports Kaz.

But who knows. Maybe Kaz changed wikipedia, just so he could be right. You never know!  ;)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2009, 03:39:01 AM »
Wikipedia supports Kaz.

But who knows. Maybe Kaz changed wikipedia, just so he could be right. You never know!  ;)

*gasp* Are you suggesting Kaz has the ability to change what is true in our world?  OMG Earth is part of this whole thing and Brandon is Hoid and Kaz is a Shard!!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2009, 06:34:05 AM »
Well if you have been lurking for any length of time you would know I have a church with ahigh priest, and Brandon wields my powers to create awesome books!!!

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 20, 2009, 08:00:15 AM »
How did Brandon steal my job!?!  [hide] (Note- Church of Kaz, Election of HoA, and my self-nomination are found in Rants and Stuff. I know, I was confused for a while too.) [/hide]
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2009, 08:10:52 AM »
We need the powers of the Hero of Ages!

Someone find Chaos to save us from this . . . Chaos.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.