Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 70588 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2009, 12:20:44 AM »
But the pools are important.  He's told me there's a pool in all three published series, and drawing my attention to that fact means it's not a nothing.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2009, 04:17:25 AM »
So here's an interesting fact.

It seems logical to assume that every Shard has at least one magic system associated with it.

We also know that interactions between Shards have magic systems (e.g. Feruchemy).

It is a logical extension of this to assume that combining three Shards would also result in a more powerful system.

If we assume that all combinations of Shards involved in creation of a world produce a magic system, we get that for N shards, the number of magic systems would be 2^N-1.  (I can list the details if you like.  It's slightly advanced algebra.)

I can't help but notice that for N=5, the resulting number of magical systems would be 31.

Edit: Fixed typo.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:57:15 PM by happyman »
Nature hates being reified.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2009, 04:46:05 AM »
But Roshar has at least 30
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2009, 04:55:27 AM »

Exactly! We're gonna jump to simple algebra for this one... If A=B and B=C then A=C
(At least 30) = (Any number greater than 30)
(31) = (A number greater than 30)
(31) = (At least 30)
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2009, 06:00:31 AM »
But the pools are important.  He's told me there's a pool in all three published series, and drawing my attention to that fact means it's not a nothing.

I never said they weren't, they are definitely important. We simply don't have the whole story.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 15, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »

Exactly! We're gonna jump to simple algebra for this one... If A=B and B=C then A=C
(At least 30) = (Any number greater than 30)
(31) = (A number greater than 30)
(31) = (At least 30)

It was as close to 30 as I could get with my simple assumptions.  And it's really, really close.  Of course, there could be complications.  After all, the powers could interact with the spiritual, physical and cognitive realms in different ways, which would add in an unknown other factor.  We could then have N=4 with 15 magic systems that get doubled by virtue of such interactions.  We just don't know.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2009, 07:07:10 PM »
I was completely following all the theories on The Shards of Adonalsium until all ya'll had to pull algebra out of your patookus.

Way to ruin it for me.  ???  :D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
Don't feel bad.  I'm at a compleate loss too.  Of course, Eric up there WOULD get it.  *peace*  Love ya' Eric.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2009, 06:24:22 AM »
Don't feel bad.  I'm at a compleate loss too.  Of course, Eric up there WOULD get it.  *peace*  Love ya' Eric.

Of course I did :) Happyman and I, we are birds of a feather with math and physics.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 17, 2009, 03:10:08 PM »
Maybe I can make it simple:

Imagine you have a world with, say, 2 shards.  That's three magic systems (Allomancy, Hemalurgy and Feruchemy) plus the "no magic" option.  If we then add a new shard, all of these magic systems still exist, but you also get a new system from combining each of the old systems with the new shard's power (the single shard's system comes from combining "no magic" with the shard's power).  Thus the number of magic systems doubles each time you get a new shard.  The only caveat is that "no magic" doesn't *really* count, so we have to subtract one after calculating the number of magic systems.  Hence my formula.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 18, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »
you are assuming a shard can only combine with one other shard at a time to create a magic system. so far we have not really had thoroughly explained instances of more than two shards operating on a planet at one time.  is it possible that three shards could combine to form one magic system?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 18, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »
I don't think that the number of magic systems is as directly correlated to the number of shards as has been assumed. After all, the magics are derived from the interactions between peoples' physiology and the shard(s) fuelling them so, theoretically, shards could exist that can't fuel a magic system on their own. It has also been confirmed by Brandon, see quote, that a single shard is capable of fuelling multiple systems on their own if they so desire.

1.  Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the metallic arts.  Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike.  Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy.  But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.   

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
you are assuming a shard can only combine with one other shard at a time to create a magic system. so far we have not really had thoroughly explained instances of more than two shards operating on a planet at one time.  is it possible that three shards could combine to form one magic system?

No, I included this possibility in my calculations.  It's why the number of systems grows so fast.  My theory says that with 3 shards, we have seven magic systems.  If the shards are denoted a,b and c, the systems are

a, b, c, ab, ac, bc, abc.

Note that abc is included, and comes from adding c to ab, which is part of the doubling every time that I mentioned.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 18, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
The formula is straight forward... and math is my weak subject (i make careless errors and never get above an A-)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 18, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »
EUREKA!

I finally understand!

Wait.. nope.. still confused.

Just kidding. I get it.