Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 70582 times)

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »
If this "realmatic theory" thing holds for every planet/magic system, then I think the so-called "Enhancement" metals in Allomancy ought to be called "Spiritual" by virtue of the fact that they bolster or smother the somewhat divine/spiritual abilities of an Allomancer or those in close proximity.  It certainly would make more sense to have an adjective instead of a noun for that category, considering the others are named that way.

Of course, this also might imply that there is a fourth Realm - time, which may in turn imply that there is a fourth Magic (which is probably the "divine" magic).

---

I think that, as all Scadrian magic derives from metal, so all Opelonian magic is based on shapes (runes).  Recall that Dakhor bones are shaped in a particular way, and that they glow when their powers are activated.  Also, ChayShan begins with a complex motion of the body, probably stopping at "magical" positions.  I would not be at all surprised if it turned out that ChayShan led the body to shape itself like Jindoeese characters, and that the bones of a Dakhor monk resembled Fjordish runes.  Nor do I think it is too much to suppose that Fjordish runes are linked to the geography of Fjordell, or that Jindoeese characters derive from the shape of the land of Jindo.

In that case, perhaps digging a wide chasm through a piece of Fjordell would invoke some sort of curse against the Monks of Dakhor.   ;)

Also, you probably got the number 10 from "Way of Kings," which is supposed to feature ten distinct magic systems.  To my knowledge, no information has yet come to light regarding the total number of Shards in existence, though it is conjectured that 16 is a universally divine number and therefore there are probably 16 Shards.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 08:19:41 PM by Cosmic_AC »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
Monk and Jindo powers CAN'T be geographically powered else they would get weaker the farther away from the fatherland, and the monks are a society of conquest so they would have been turned back earlier if they had a limited range. Also even if you map the whole world the city is THE Focus for the Aon Dor. The city and it's outlieing towns create the "gate" for which the Elantrians can preform miracles ect. And for both shards on Scardiel metal was power so it is likely that characters are power for this world (Opelon or whatnot is the continent).
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2009, 04:30:45 AM »
Also, you probably got the number 10 from "Way of Kings," which is supposed to feature ten distinct magic systems.  To my knowledge, no information has yet come to light regarding the total number of Shards in existence, though it is conjectured that 16 is a universally divine number and therefore there are probably 16 Shards.

I'll note here that although there were two shards on Scandriel (sp?), there were three magic systems, one for each shard and one caused by the interactions between their opposing powers.  The number of magic systems, I would guess, is not tied to the number of shards, but is actually tied to interactions between the shards and Realmatic theory.

However, if we have a magic system for every possible unique combination of shards and 16 shards, Brandon can keep writing forever several millenia without running out.
Nature hates being reified.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »
Also, Opelon, or whatever the planet Elantris is on is called, seems to have three systems for one Shard.  I think that it would be well to remember that the magic system classifications are the best guess of humans in universe.  Brandon has pulled tricks with the explanation of magic that the characters got being incomplete.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2009, 07:35:34 PM »
Monk and Jindo powers CAN'T be geographically powered else they would get weaker the farther away from the fatherland, and the monks are a society of conquest so they would have been turned back earlier if they had a limited range. Also even if you map the whole world the city is THE Focus for the Aon Dor. The city and it's outlieing towns create the "gate" for which the Elantrians can preform miracles ect. And for both shards on Scardiel metal was power so it is likely that characters are power for this world (Opelon or whatnot is the continent).
Not necessarily.  Dakhor magic seems to be powered partly by human sacrifice (recall that the High Priest of the Dakhor once asked that one of his pupils give up his life to conjure something like Aon Teo in order to teleport him to Wyrn).  The Monks may have to be "operated on" very close to a source of Dor (Dakhor Monastery) but, once imbued, able to store bits of it.

I'll note here that although there were two shards on Scandriel (sp?), there were three magic systems, one for each shard and one caused by the interactions between their opposing powers.  The number of magic systems, I would guess, is not tied to the number of shards, but is actually tied to interactions between the shards and Realmatic theory.
I agree.  The paragraph you excerpted from my post was directed at firstRainbowRose, who earlier said:
Silence devine: It's set in the same solar system as another shard, so there are ten shard systems (I swear he said ten).

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2009, 07:39:58 PM »
I agree.  The paragraph you excerpted from my post was directed at firstRainbowRose, who earlier said:
Silence devine: It's set in the same solar system as another shard, so there are ten shard systems (I swear he said ten).

I wasn't disagreeing with you.  That's why I said I was taking the opportunity to note something I had previously mused about, but which seemed to fit here, but not in opposition to you particularly.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »
I see.  My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2009, 04:32:08 AM »
Life as a power source is much different from a continent also there is no suggestion that the monks became less efficeint as the traveled across the sea...in addition the priest dude *brain fart* activates his arm which more or less overflows with power to kill Mr. Big Nasty
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »
I found this in HOA, and it has an interesting word...
"The shard of metal got dangerously close to your heart
(A doctor about Penrod's spike,pg 294)

It may just be a coincidence, but I don't think so. I think Brandon may be trying to tell us something very conspicuously.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »
Or not, since I seem to recall that Penrod's "spike" actually was a shard of metal, not a regular spike.

In Elantris, Raoden mentions that he feels the Dor being used when the Dakhor monks are doing their thing. So I would guess it's almost certainly a different aspect of the same magic system, or at the very least a different system from the same shard.

Not that that's any different from anything you guys have been saying, but....

I wonder how many shards there will be in WoK for there to be the 30 ish magic systems I'm hearing about. That should be lots and lots of fun.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2009, 12:18:32 AM »
I found this in HOA, and it has an interesting word...
"The shard of metal got dangerously close to your heart
(A doctor about Penrod's spike,pg 294)

It may just be a coincidence, but I don't think so. I think Brandon may be trying to tell us something very conspicuously.

Nah, I think it really was just a shard.  Penrod is dead, and all he did was get controlled by Ruin.  I don't see anything deep in this.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2009, 01:59:12 AM »
in Way of Kings, it could just be one shard's magic system being interpreted in many ways. I mean, you could kind of call Allomancy 50 different magic systems, one for each known metal.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2009, 04:01:45 AM »
There are only 16 alloys in allomancy... though you could number it in 17 ways b/c of mistborn.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
No, what I was saying was maybe he's trying to tell us something about how the Shards of Andonalsium works. I think he's trying to tell us that The Shards all are placed where and when they are placed for a reason, and they are made by maybe even the Death of Andonalsium.

Gosh, Can't you guys read minds?  ;)

(PS now after reading my original post I realize that it was quite vague, and it implied that Penrod was a Shard, which makes no sense. Sorry!)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
No, what I was saying was maybe he's trying to tell us something about how the Shards of Andonalsium works. I think he's trying to tell us that The Shards all are placed where and when they are placed for a reason, and they are made by maybe even the Death of Andonalsium.

Gosh, Can't you guys read minds?  ;)

(PS now after reading my original post I realize that it was quite vague, and it implied that Penrod was a Shard, which makes no sense. Sorry!)

It still doesn't make much sense.  Why would a random comment by an unimportant character who has no background knowledge of the cosmology involved be relevant?  Irony and foreshadowing could always be in play, of course, but the context and simple meaning of the phrase suggest no such thing.