Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 76069 times)

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2009, 08:01:52 PM »
I'll bet whatever Shard(s) govern(s) the world of Warbreaker is(are) colorblind, the way Leras and Ati were unable to perceive metal.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2009, 02:16:44 AM »
I think that would be . . . too overly consistent.  That would go farther than putting them in the same universe and making them more the same book with different people in a different place.  I just don't think I see that happening.  I won't lie, I would be kinda disappointed if it did happen.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:13 PM »
Hm, you're right.  I need to think these things through before I go posting random stuff.  :P

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
Random stuff is fine :D.  I would rather that the vision thing was not a similarity between all the shards.  I also dint know how that would work in with elantris as there is no physical object involved.  It does kind of make sense for warbreaker though.   We see what happens when you have a ton of breaths and it becomes hard to see the person wielding them due to the aura of color they put off.

Eleaneth

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
The reason Leras and Ati couldn't look directly at metal was because it had so much power in it, their power. I would speculate that if they'd wanted to, they could have trained themselves to perceive metal, but then they would've been blind to everything else. (Like a Steel Inquisitor, perhaps?)

I'd imagine that it depends on the nature of the power. For example, a Color shard might be unable to look directly at the God King, because he radiated too much power, but I doubt it. The power of metal was more raw and untamed. Very physical. The power of color was more enhancing, more subtle. More spiritual.
"Yes," Elend said softly. "The law allows for you to change your vote, Lord Habren. You may only do so once, and must do so before the winner is declared. Everyone else has the same opportunity."
-- The Well of Ascension

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2009, 01:48:40 AM »
Did anyone read the Alternate ending for Mistborn? We now know where Ruin's pool is......

Edit- I also saw this in WoA. Just a little bit of Preservation working his magic.
Only one way to win a knife fight against a guy with a sword... Elend thought, gripping his knife. The thought, oddly, hadn't come from one of his trainers, or even from Vin. He wasn't sure where it came from, but he trusted it.
Close in tight as fast as possible, and kill quickly.

Edit- Didn't want to double post
I was looking through the annotations when I found this:
I think the peace offered by this pool is a supernatural force. It has something to do with the physical form of the Elantrians.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/annotation/86/Elantris-Chapter-61-1
I just think this helps reaffirm that the shard that is 'in charge' of Elantrians is also the pool.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 09:51:25 PM by Zas678 »
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

What if the Shards in Warbreaker are Kuth and Huth.  At first I had thought that they were people, but in the epilogue Vasher states, "Ever heard of Kuth and Huth?", he asked.  "Sure," she said.  "They were your main rivals in the Manywar."  "Somebody's trying to restore them," he said.  pg 587.  What makes me think that they might be shards is that Vasher says that someone's trying to restore them, as apposed to trying to resurect them.  What if they had power over the word previously, but Vasher somehow changed what/who had power during the Manywar.  Plus the names seem kind of out of place with the rest of the book's character's names.

I don't know, it's just a thought.

zas678

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that they were countries, not gods. When Vasher said 'restore' I'm pretty sure he meant trying to bring back into power by raising armies (raising Lifeless, awakening siege weapons, etc.)

I think that if anyone is a shard, it's Austre.
He remembered the other side. And he remembered a voice, calm and
comforting, offering him an opportunity.
pg 563

So whoever that voice is (my guess is Austre) is a shard. A shard that is experienced enough to place a soul back into a body, even if it does cost a breath a week.
“It’s a fun tradition.”

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2009, 01:36:12 AM »
When I talked to Brandon at the Signing tonight, he mentioned that the pool in Elantris is indeed very much like the Well of Ascension. So I don't know whether that helps ore harms theories, but there you go.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2009, 07:42:13 PM »
i dont think that we can figure it out without more information from brandon

zas678

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
And now we have it! I'll post all the info from the Barnes & Nobles here.....

I know you already said that there are four shards outside of Ati and Leras in your other books. Could you tell us the numbers per book? Is just a standard two per book? Or do some have more than others?

Some world have more than others.  You have seen the effects, influences, and work of four other Shards.  One Shard, however, was no longer on the world by the time the story was told there. 

I know that we've "interacted with two directly" (the pool in Elantris, and The Voice that called Lightsong back to life) that we've "seen it's power" (Dahkhor??) and another that we've seen their infulence (I have no idea on this one, though I think it might be whatever pointed out Aon Rao in Elantris to Raoden)

Nice guesses on most of those.  You’ve got some things right.  You’ve got some things wrong. The only thing I'll confirm (and I don’t think I’ve said this before)  is that The Voice is, indeed, one of the Shards of Adonalsium.  (Endowment is that Shard’s true name, by the way.)

So we now have Ati, Leras, and Endowment.  "Seen it's power" is probably the one that is no longer on the world. Maybe it's the Dor? There doesn't seem to be anyone guiding it. The "interaction" is Endowment and the Pool. And perhaps Hoid for "seen it's influence". Someone seemed to mention Midus being connected with a shard.

Any other ideas?
“It’s a fun tradition.”

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »
I tend to agree that the Dor is a good candidate for a shard that is no longer on the world. Although if that shard is no longer on the world, could they still use it's powers? If not, then that effectively kills that theory.

I was also thinking that the Chasm in Elantris might have actually been one of the Other Shards trying to sabotage the Dor. Or rather, it's followers. Like Ruin and Preservation, Elantris Style.

edit: Oooh, I just had an even better idea! What if the shard that we've only seen the effects of is related to Hoid? I seem to remember Ook or someone saying something along the lines of Hoid being bound to a shard. Though that could be wrong. In that case, what if his shard allows him to planet hop? We wouldn't have seen the shard directly, just Hoid, and we would have seen its effects.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:49:30 PM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
I just thought I'd put in my two cents regarding the Shards we have met or seen evidence of (I'm assuming that Brandon was only speaking of the books we had access to at the time, Elantris, Mistborn, and Warbreaker):

The first two need no explanation.
1. Preservation
2. Ruin

3. The Dor
I feel that the Dor is one of the four Shards we have directly interacted with, the Pool talking to Raoden and all.

4. Hoid
Yes, I think Hoid is a Shard in the same way that Vin was a Shard.  Vin and Sazed made no mention of a space ship while they were in godmode, and with their sensitivity to metal, they would have seen one if one was in the solar system.  In the absence of a spaceship, Shardpower is the only thing I can think of to get Hoid from world to world.

Now for the last two.
5. Endowment
The Voice in Warbreaker.  We never actually interacted with it, just Lightsong remembering being offered a way back.  The Returned are definitely evidence of  the Shard's power/influence.

The last one is harder since Brandon Sanderson said the last one was no longer on the world by the time the story got told.  The set up between Ruin and Preservation doesn't work if a third Shard was hanging around before Vin was born.  Another Shard could have caused the Chasm in Elantris, but Occam's Razor makes me want to think it was just normal seismic activity.  Warbreaker, however is intriguing.  The Idris Royal Family traces its lineage back to the first Returned, this is interesting, why would Endowment decide to suddenly start calling back returned all over the world just because some people had crossed a body of water?  I think that the Returned started Returning soon after Endowment arrived on the Warbreaker world.  But that leaves a question: how did humans get there?  The chances of humans independently evolving on so many different worlds are so low as to be absurd, they had to have been put on all of the worlds by the various Shards.  Unless humans started out on the Warbreaker world, I think Shard #6 is whoever put humans there.  Which would be the influence that we see.

zas678

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2009, 02:50:17 AM »
I don't think that the Dor and the Pool are the same thing, though you may be right about the Warbreaker shard.  It seems that the Dor is just an energy with nothing guiding it any more, and if something was guiding the Dor, they would want it released. The Pool wanted to let Raoden relax, let him die in peace, but he refused because he saw a way to bring back Elantris.
“It’s a fun tradition.”

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2009, 03:06:26 AM »
Is there anything in the way anyone describes the pool that may give us a hint as to that shard's name? (An abstract concept like the three shard names we know so far.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!