Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 70346 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 07:42:09 PM »
This discussion is more productive if you've managed to read Brandon's BYU thesis, the original Dragonsteel. Three of the main characters have direct contact with shards, which makes it a little easier to figure out what's going on with the shards themselves. As I recall, the Draongsteel world had more shards fall to it than the others, so they're much more prevalent there.

Hoid isn't technically a shard, though by the time you meet him in most books he's bound to one, so it's nearly the same thing.

As far as I know, Warbreaker is not in the same universe as the rest of the epic fantasies. Nor are Alcatraz and Scribbler.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure Warbreaker is in the same universe as Mistborn, Elantris, Way of Kings, and Dragonsteel.

Also, Brandon kept the shards in Dragonsteel pretty subtle, so not all readers would have necessarily noticed them.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »
Is it? I could see how Warbreaker would fit in, but don't remember Brandon saying it was. Generally the clue is whether or not Hoid appears in the world somewhere. I don't remember a Hoid in Warbreaker, but maybe he'll be in a sequel or something.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »
In Warbreaker, Hoid is the storyteller who informs Siri of the history of the God-kings and their deaths.
He ate my horse.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »
In Warbreaker, Hoid is the storyteller who informs Siri of the history of the God-kings and their deaths.

And has a very mysterious background, per his own words.

No, Warbreaker is definitely part of the same universe/cosmology.
Nature hates being reified.

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 03:46:18 AM »
where can you find a copy of dragonsteel i've looked in book stores

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 04:33:44 AM »
It's only available in the BYU library. If you go to the Dragonsteel thread here, you can find out more about that. Just don't read too far down, because then it turns spoilerish. But the first few posts are safe.

And Hoid was definitely in Warbreaker, as someone else already said. He mentioned that he learned his way of telling stories in a far away place where two lands meet and gods have died (I think that's what he says, anyway). And I think I remember someone else (Ookla?) saying that sounded like Dragonsteel. I wouldn't know. I haven't read it. But I want to....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 04:52:13 AM »
is the planet of Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker in the same universe

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
As far as I know, any book with Hoid in it is in the Mistborn universe.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 05:20:05 AM »
I think, and I could be completely wrong about this, that Domi and Jaddeth are two of the shards that we have met, and that they have a relationship similar to that of Ati and Leras. Not to say that one wants to destroy and one wants to preserve, but that they have opposing viewpoints. I starteed thinking that Domi might be the Shard behind the Dor, and Jaddeth might be the Shard behind the Monks of Dakhor. I also think that Austere from Warbreaker could be a shard, and that he is the one responsible for resurrecting the Returned. I could be completely wrong about this, seeing as how the only books by Brandon I have read are Elantris, The Mistborn Trilogy, and Warbreaker.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »
My question is are we seeing a multiverse created out of something breaking apart at the dawn of creation, with each of the three known worlds being the same planet (More or less) in alternate realities, or are they all in the same dimension/universe/galaxy/however specific you want to get.

Unless future books dealing with Shards include space travel, this probably matters very little.  I mean he could invent a magic which allows for dimmensional travel, or not.  But I've never heard of a magic system which allows for travel across worlds.  So this really only matters when pondering how sci-fi he wants to get in the future.

Also how the physics of each universe work.  Do these Shards just effect their own world, can users of the Dor or Allomancy use it off planet, etc.  The Dor weakened the further the Elantrians got from Elantris, so I'm really wondering how things would get effected if Mr. Sanderson ever went Dark Tower on us.  I hunger for that day I think.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 05:01:17 AM »
Brandon has already said that the third Mistborn trilogy would involve space travel.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
This is unrelated to EUOL's universe, but in the Wheel of Time, the one power was used to travel to other worlds.  Regardless, there doesn't have to be a prior instance of magical world travel in order for Brandon to come up with something.  Technically, if an Elantrian knew the exact distance, he could probably travel there, although I imagine it would be a one way trip, as the Dor would most likely be non-existent in the other world.  I'm sure perfectly good ways to get around that problem could be thought up, as well.  The coolest thing would be that the shards powers are the same in all the worlds, and it is the genetic makeup of the people that determine how the power is manifested.  that would mean that Mistborn are Mistborn everywhere, along with Elantrians, Awakeners, etc.  It would make for fantastic battles between worlds.  Then imagine if the different races bred?  What would an Elantrian Mistborn be able to do?  This is why Fantasy rules.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 07:52:32 PM »
Regardless, there doesn't have to be a prior instance of magical world travel in order for Brandon to come up with something.

This is a slight tangent, but one could easily argue that most Sci-fi novels have magical world travel.  The boundary between fantasy and science fiction is thinner than tissue paper.
Nature hates being reified.

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »
This is a slight tangent, but one could easily argue that most Sci-fi novels have magical world travel.  The boundary between fantasy and science fiction is thinner than tissue paper.

Very true.  I heard a quote once that the difference between fantasy and sci-fi is that fantasy has trees.