Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 75978 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 06:04:07 PM »
One of the shards in Dragonsteel Prime wasn't connected to anyone at first and later became connected to the main character. I imagine Brandon will have similar shards in the future.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
Ookla do you mean an individual could later be linked to a new shard or an entire realm discovering it?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
I mean some of the shards are not necessarily attached to a person/godlike personality but are attached to objects. If a person touches the object, they can use its power. If they are associated with the object long enough, the shard can transfer its attachment to that person instead of the object and they can gain its power permanently.

So yeah I'm talking about an individual rather than a society.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 09:45:09 PM »
Hello again.
I just posted for the first time but, in case you didn't read it, I greet you all again.  :)

I believe BS is a good foreseer. He plants seeds in his books which give fruits long time in the future of the series. That is why I think if he has planted the Shards theme (and he just plainly said he has), then he would have done it in a way we can recognize it.
I write this because I believe we will see similar patterns regarding the Shards. For example, having two opposite forces to create, a triad of magic systems and things like that.
One of the constants I believe should be that any "magic" comes from the energy from creation, through a Shard. He said that the way it comes out or the form it takes (the "magic effects") will depend upon the Realmatics (or something like that, I believe he means the World and Realm mechanics  ??? ).
Furthermore, he says we have met 6 Shards (R&P, 2 others who have interacted, 1 power, 1 influence). I just can suppose he refers to series widely known to everybody and not just a few Chosen (that is, Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker).

So, I believe we have 2 Shards in each of this worlds, and that each one is opposite to the other in their world. As you have pointed out, they don't have to be at war, in Elantris they could be Life and Death or Energy and Rest or some other duality which will not be confronted but complementary.
Also, they could be at war, but they are not in the same stage as in Mistborn. In Mistborn, we have the Final Battle. In Warbreaker we see conflict in a minor scale (some people who want to get rid of their rulers). In Elantris conflict is very high, the Wyrn wants to dominate the world and kill every arelean or teosian.

And after this runt, if you are been so nice as to keep reading, thank you and here is something maybe can help us discern whether there are Shards active or not in a world and its general "alignment"(or maybe not, who knows  ??? ).
Magic has a source. Its source has to be something which is part of a Shard, because all magic effects must come from the power of creation (this is something I have to assume and have no final evidence to, but we are theorizing....). So, any magic effect must be "fueled" by something. And this something can tell us (if we think about it) if the magic leads to general "good" or "evil".
For example, in Elantris we have the Dor. This seems to me much like the Mists (although less physical). So, I assume that this must be the body(=power) of a Shard. We have 3 ways to channel it, Aons, ChayShin and Dakhor. This one seems generally "good", although the "Dakhor effects" (not the enhancements, which are permanent), need sacrifice, but maybe they are using another magic system (remember that Inquisitors could have Allomancy, Ferruchemy and Hemalurgy).
In Warbreaker we have Breath. It seems to me like what we know of Preservation. There is a spark of Preservation in every human in Scadrel. Maybe this is something similar. Difference is, this spark can be given away, received and stored. I don't know what to think of this, but it seems like the "Spirit" of a Shard, whatever it is. This is something of a "neutral" magic, neither you lose or gain, present or steal.

I will end this suddenly because I fear I made a long post and I am starting to rant. I'm sorry, my second post and I'm doing it.....
Well, let's see what comes of it. I'm still on page 8 of the HoA spoilers so, I probably miss a lot of things. Thank you for reading  :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2009, 12:39:23 AM »
Adonalsium is an anagram for Dios Alumna.

Shards of Adonalsium is an anagram for A Handmaid Surfs Solo!

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2009, 01:01:09 AM »

:o It all makes sense now!. The mystery has been solved!
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 01:02:07 AM »

Well done, Watson. My suspicions have been confirmed.

...You know my methods, Watson...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 10:28:54 AM »

It's obvious Adonalsium is Walt Disney because it's an anagram for Diosa Mulan (Goddes Mulan).

Hoid is a Shard = Dash Dish Roi
Which means Hoid was originally a waiter.  :o
And, as waiters in means of transport are stewards, that means Hoid is Sazed.
Logic wins  8)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 02:57:40 AM »
I'm sick of hearing this ridiculous theory of Hoid being a shard!!!! He could be akin to Ati or Leras who controlled a shards powers but even with their deaths someone could seize the shards and fix the problems LR made... might as well say Sazed is a giant Easter chocolate bunny and his power comes from extensive diabetes... give me a break...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:50 AM »
If it's so ridiculous, don't give it the honor of being called "theory".  A theory is an idea that has factual backing behind it.  In fact, calling anything fans think of a "theory" is using a very loose interpretation of this definition.  Outside the bizarre world of a rabid fan's mind, very few things can legitimately be called theories.  For example, the only reason we call Einstein's Theories of Relativity "theories" is because they're well thought out and backed up by a lot of empirical evidence.  Most modern-day physicists take Einstein's ideas for granted and they still don't qualify as "Laws" yet.  Some random and vague notion a fourteen-year-old has about the next installment in a sci-fi/fantasy series that has yet to be drafted has no right to be called a theory, IMHO.

That said, Alatar was just making a joke.  I don't think he meant to imply that he really believes Brandon is going to say Hoid is a Shard.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 05:05:37 AM »
Cosmic he isn't the only one to say it and the theory of relativity isn't a law because it may not be true as it has declared war more or less on quantam physics...they contradict...but thats off topic and I'm sick of this stupid notion that a character can be a shard Sazed isn't one even...and this idea goes across more than this thread you might as well be spaming Narg quotes or chuck norris jokes on the forum... :'(

P.S. Narg is a character in Eye of the World 1st book of WoT and has one line that is quoted frequently on WoT forums and many made up lines also quoted plenty...

P.S. again Chuck Norris is what many call Yaweh or God ::)

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2009, 05:18:07 AM »
Meh, my point was just that calling stupid ideas like this "theories" affords them too much credibility already.  There's no such thing as a stupid theory; if an idea is stupid, then it's not a theory.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2009, 05:18:14 AM »
Interesting fact I learned today from Brandon: Way of Kings is a Shard world. This shouldn't be terribly surprising. When he said that, I slapped my head and thought, "Oh, duh, one title floating around was Oathshards. Shards. Obviously."

Also it seems Way of Kings has the Shards displayed very prominently with the magics and stuff.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »
Ben/Tage confirmed for us that Hoid has a shard. Saying that someone is a shard is shorthand for saying they are bound to one.

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »
I'm sick of hearing this ridiculous theory of Hoid being a shard!!!!
Wow, you're really sensitive on the matter, I just dug in the threads Hoid, HoA Spoilers and Shards of Adolnasium, but didn't see that"idea"  too many times.

Anyway, we were playing acronyms. In fact, I don't really think Hoid is a Shard (is = is bound to), unless Tage was referring to the revised Hoid (remember, BS first books don't set law in nowadays "Shard" worlds), unless he is bound to the part of Adolnasium which retains His Will and it is to let His Children (Shards) play alone or something like that.
I prefer the idea that he is something of a Watcher, or a Shepherd. He may be just watching how sentient life makes do in Adolnasium worlds.

Off topic: Theories and Laws in Science are something very different than theories, laws and ideas we use in common talking. Evolution will always be a Theory, although it is the most supported one in the history of Science, and Gravity will always be a law, whether we perfectly know how it works or not. Anyone with first year in a scientific career can explain why, I fear I wouldn't be able to do it properly.
Oh, and just to make it note, I more than double the age of 15 years old teenagers, Kaz.  :P

No offense taken, I hope.  ;)

Closing the OT, just say that Way of Kings is of course a Shard / Hoid / Adonalsium world, not only for the first book's title (Oathshards) but because it was written somewhere that there will be several Shards interacting in this world. Or maybe I just read that it was so in WoK Prime.  ???