Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 70338 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #330 on: May 29, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
Based on the Laras-ium and Ati-um constructions, I'm thinking that for Hoid to be the original he'd have to be Adonal, and Hoid an Alias.  Though one wonders why it was Adonalsium in the first place and not just, "The Shards of Adonal."

The more I look at it the more I'm reminded of Inuyasha.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Mike

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 29, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
I don't know if this is really relevant, but the Hebrew name for god is "Adonai", which is pretty close to your "Adonal" naming...

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 29, 2010, 09:36:59 PM »
Maybe Adonalsium isn't a person. Maybe it's some super-powerful object with cognitive presence (Sort of like a super-souped up Nightblood). Or maybe without cognitive presence.

2 interacted with directly- Endowment, Pool
1 Seen power, not met- Dor/Jaddeth
1 seen influence, not met- Austre (there are a number of 3rd person promptings in Warbreaker) Or, it could be Hoid and whatever    shard he's with(Restoration?).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:16:15 PM by Terrisman243 »

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2010, 12:30:26 AM »
I don't know if this is really relevant, but the Hebrew name for god is "Adonai", which is pretty close to your "Adonal" naming...

Minor pendantic point but `adoni means "your lord" as in the generic for a nobel who has rank and authority over you.  The name if God which has no correct pronunciation key is the four letters yod, hey, vav and hey.  An alternative name with Assyrian origins is El, the most powerful name being El Shaddai (God the Irresistible Plowing/Cutting/Dividing Force).  Elohyim is a plural meaning Celestial Beings but as a corporate entity.

Adonai is a good analogue to Sanderson's "Lord Ruler".

I'd be more inclined to think he Got Adonalsium from looking at the words Adonus and Adonai and trying to find something unique that hinted at them.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.