Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 70343 times)

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2010, 06:52:44 AM »
Hmm... perhaps worship is the wrong word.  I CAN see him asking people to look to him for guidance and direction, and being sad and upset when they choose to ignore him.  "I understand more than you do! Why don't you listen to me!?"
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2010, 08:11:57 AM »
Also, Brandon mentioned something that the events of book three would slowly become myth. You'd probably see religions based on the Survivor, then Vin, etc.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »

What if it turned out that Hoid was EVIL!?  He's always been more passive than anything, thus leaving his actual morality a sort of unanswered question until WoK comes out.

Except that he hasn't really been passive. He has delivered weapons and goods to the Elantrians,  given info to Kelsier, led a group of Terrismen from the hunting Inquisitors, tried to give info to Vin (perhaps something about the obligator being an allomancer?), and he gave much-needed information to Siri.

I wouldn't call that Evil. Or passive. Sure he may not be on the front lines, but he's is pushing the heroes toward victory the best way he can.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »
Hmm, I hadn't really put those things together, and I forgot the bit about leading the Stewards.  Too bad, that would've been an awesome twist. ;D
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2010, 04:41:09 AM »
I've often pondered what kind of God Sazed would be.  I just can't see him asking people to worship him.  I also have this awesome idea of Marsh and Ten Soon acting as his agents on Scadriel, while he keeps track of the bigger picture.  As for minor tragedies, he's wise enough to know that people need minor tragedies to grow.

I think he will ask people to worship him, because that way, he can help them.

Kelsier, when he 'piggy backs' on the power of Preservation for a while, only speaks to Spook, and Spook is the only one of the original crew who has faith in Kelsier. 

Vin, when she gets the power, only speaks to Elend, who has a fundamental trust (perhaps even faith?) that Vin knows what she is doing.

There seems to be a connection between the Spiritual realm and the Cognitive realm, at least between Shards and mortals. If you believe in God, then he can speak to you. If you don't, then he can't.

The reason why Ruin can speak to people is because they either have spikes in them, making them much more of Ruin, or they are crazy, making them more in contact with Chaos, which is related to Ruin.

Hmm. I wonder if Shards speak to anyone in Elantris or Warbreaker. Maybe Hrathen and .... Vivenna? I'll have to look at this some more.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:44 AM »
Hmm. I wonder if Shards speak to anyone in Elantris or Warbreaker. Maybe Hrathen and .... Vivenna? I'll have to look at this some more.
Endowment speaks to the Returned as I recall, but only in that brief moment between death and Return when it's offering the dead person the opportunity to Return.  This is shown in flashback when Lightsong remembers that moment.

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2010, 06:09:44 AM »
Endowment speaks to the Returned as I recall, but only in that brief moment between death and Return when it's offering the dead person the opportunity to Return.  This is shown in flashback when Lightsong remembers that moment.
yes, endowment gives some people the choice to return when they die and if they say yes he/she/it gives them one uber breath, drains the colour out of them, and commands them to return (just like awakening) and IIRC the pool in Elantris "spoke" to Raoden

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
Look what I found in the HoA thread:
However, now they (The Metallic Arts) are more directly affected by the presence or absence of the mists, which will slowly return to the world but not be of the extent they once were.  (The mists are now an extent of Sazed's power, and where they roam, he is better able to influence things.  There will also be two kinds of mists.)

Maybe it's not just faith, wells, and spikes.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2010, 01:56:23 AM »
yay, mists!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2010, 04:37:30 AM »
You couldn't exactly call the books "Mistborn" without mists.

Hibron

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »
Can you call them mistborn without mistborn?  ???

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2010, 05:00:34 AM »
Can you call them mistborn without mistborn?  ???
Ah, but there will be Mistborn, they're just going to be really, desperately rare.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Tegal Savian

« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2010, 05:46:01 AM »
Kelsier, when he 'piggy backs' on the power of Preservation for a while, only speaks to Spook, and Spook is the only one of the original crew who has faith in Kelsier.
But it was, in fact, Ruin speaking to Spook through the guise of Kelsier due to the shard of metal Spook was encouraged (by Ruin) to leave within his body) after he was nearly killed.  (Similarly, was Vin encouraged to retain her mother's earring throughout her short life, which Marsh ripped from her as his ultimate rebellion against Ruin ... that solid piece of himself that he retained throughout his transformation from Seeker to Steel Inquisitor.)  For more discussion on this topic (and specifically focused on Brandon Sanderson's novels), please join me and many others at www.adonalsium.net!  We are intent on discovering all we might with regard to Brandon's arch from Elantris through The Mistborn Trilogy to Warbreaker and The Stormlight Archive, beginning with The Way of Kings this August!  (Honestly, 8/17/10 can't come soon enough!)

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2010, 06:23:25 AM »
Sorry Tegal. It's true that when we actually see Kelsier it's Ruin, but it's Kelsier who tells Spook to send the message.
From the spoiler tag of HoA Annotations 64:
"You did well, Spook."

Yes, that's Kelsier's voice at the beginning. As I said in a previous annotation, he can't help but meddle.

There is an afterlife in this cosmology I've built, and Kelsier's in it. He never has been able to leave well enough alone. He saw, here, that a piece of the puzzle needed to be put together, so he stepped in and tried to get through to Spook about it.

Spook was the only one in the crew he could speak to. That's because Spook truly has faith in Kelsier as a deity—which, for these few weeks between Preservation's death and the coming of the Hero of Ages, Kelsier is.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2010, 08:10:09 AM »
But it was, in fact, Ruin speaking to Spook through the guise of Kelsier due to the shard of metal Spook was encouraged (by Ruin) to leave within his body) after he was nearly killed.  (Similarly, was Vin encouraged to retain her mother's earring throughout her short life, which Marsh ripped from her as his ultimate rebellion against Ruin ... that solid piece of himself that he retained throughout his transformation from Seeker to Steel Inquisitor.)  For more discussion on this topic (and specifically focused on Brandon Sanderson's novels), please join me and many others at www.adonalsium.net!  We are intent on discovering all we might with regard to Brandon's arch from Elantris through The Mistborn Trilogy to Warbreaker and The Stormlight Archive, beginning with The Way of Kings this August!  (Honestly, 8/17/10 can't come soon enough!)

Just an FYI, it may be a good idea to keep the advertisements in your signature. No harm done though.