Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 75947 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2009, 03:56:56 AM »
So are all 16 shards found on those 6 worlds?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2009, 05:49:31 AM »
No. There's still at least one other book, The Silence Divine, which is set on a different world. And there are probably a couple we haven't heard anything about yet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2009, 07:00:27 AM »
so it is confirmed that The Silence Divine takes place in the Hoid-verse then huh?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »
No. There's still at least one other book, The Silence Divine, which is set on a different world. And there are probably a couple we haven't heard anything about yet.

I don't suppose this is a confirmation that there are 16 shards?  Or did I miss that?  Or are you just saying "There are more shards"?
Nature hates being reified.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2009, 02:54:36 AM »
16 shards is the prevailing theory. I don't think Brandon has said.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2009, 05:50:05 AM »
so i was thinking about how brandon said there were 36 planned books in the Hoid-Verse and decided to make a list of the one we know of so far.

Elantris x2
Mistborn x9 (two future trilogies)
Warbreaker x2
The Stormlight Archive x10
Dragonsteel x7
White Sand
The Silence Divine

assuming i'm remembering my numbers right, that makes 32, leaving four left unknown. i suppose its most likely that these will be a combination of sequels for white sand and silence, but i think it is safe to assume there are a couple worlds left in the hoid-verse that we know nothing of.
sorry, kinda random.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2009, 06:11:35 AM »
Here's a bit of info from the signing yesterday (I don't know how much of it you guys know since I'm too lazy to go looking)

Silence devine: It's set in the same solar system as another shard, so there are ten shard systems (I swear he said ten).  He also said that Stormlight, MB, and a third one (My brain is saying white sands, but don't quote me on that one. [edit]Now I'm also thinking it might have been Elantris.  It was one of the two.) are three of the major pieces of the cosmology.  WB isn't exactly important, but isn't unimportant either.

He also explained a bit about Realmatic theory.  (spell check on rulmatic?)  He said each thing exsists on three planes: spirit, mental, physical.  So the way hulmargy (I'm too lazy to look up the proper spelling) uses the spike to rip off a piece of the person's spirit and create a hack (his word, not mine.  I would more say link) between the two.  He also said that metal isn't what creates the power, but is the link to the power, allowing you to access the abilities.  He said that the Aon's in Elantris (we really, really need an abrevation for that book) is the same opening.  Awakening however is putting your mental ability and life into an object.

The example given is a rock: it has the three "DNA" process -- it's "DNA" exsists on the mental, spiritual, and physical level.  However, it doesn't have much by way of mental.

He also meantioned the pool, and when I asked, he did confirm that there is a pool in all three of the seen shard worlds (Elantris pool, the well as a pool, and he didn't say what the WB pool was.)  When I asked if those were hoid's portals he didn't say anything.  (Actually, I think he just said "I'm not going to answer that.")

I'll add more if I remember more, and I'll get off my lazy butt and catch myself up so I can ask better questions.

(Also, side note: He said that Realmatic theory is that each person is reborn three times.  He then went on to explain the three planes of exsistance, but I don't know if the fact that he used "reborn" (or was it reincarnated) is important.  Just food for thought.

Another note is that Realmatic theory is called that because that's what it's called in... my brain is saying dragonsteel, but I could be wrong.  It's in one of the books.

I've also put this here, since Brandon meantioned them one after the other, and seemed to imply they're connected.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:31:07 PM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2009, 07:26:45 AM »
Realmatic theory, the three realms of existence, the physical, the cognitive, and the spiritual.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »
Ha!  That makes sense.  Maybe I'll actually remember the spelling now.

Also, I was reading through everything, and Zas made a very good point:

I thought that the Dor might cause the Dahkor monks and Clayshin, but then I realized that the Opelon magic is like the Scadrial magic.
You have Allomancy and Aons, that both get energy out of nowhere, you have Clayshin and Ferchemancy which draw energy from the user, and Hemalurgy and the Dahkor monks draw their energy out of someone else.

Allomancy comes from Leras/Preservation
Aons come from Dor/Domi?/Pool God?

Ferchemy is natural
ClayShin is natural?

Hemalurgy comes from Ati/Ruin
"Bone bending" comes from Jaddeth?

I think that the shining thing on Opelon is like how all the magic on Scadrial involved Metal.

Zas

Note that there are three types.  Plus three realms?  One for each realm? (I'll edit later if I notice that someone has already said this, and to explain once I figure out what I mean.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:48:54 PM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »
It's interesting that Brandon pegs Warbreaker as mental, because I thought it was more spiritual than any magic we've seen so far from him. Of course that was assuming that the commands are not necessary except in intent and use of breath (obviously simplicity of commands is important as well). Elantris seems to be almost entirely mental, a typical written magic. Of course, now looking at these assumptions makes me realize that it matters very little where the power comes from in determining the type of magic. All of his magics can be acquired through a spiritual transmutation of some sort, so by that measure all of the books so far are spiritual magic. My list included emotional as well as physical, mental, and spiritual.

So, Allomancy is entirely physical, Feruchemy is part physical and part mental, Hemalurgy is spiritual and physical, BioChromatic Breath is mental and spiritual, Aons are spiritual, but have a mental and physical component as well. Maybe.

Of course, I used to think that the Mistborn world was giving us every kind of magic and that emotional magic was another type. Right up until we got the chart. Ah well, I'm sure it's not the last time I'll be wrong.
Note that there are three types.  Plus three realms?  One for each realm? (I'll edit later if I notice that someone has already said this, and to explain once I figure out what I mean.)
I don't see any relationship, but it could be there. For example, Hemalurgy is Scadrial's spiritual magic, while Jaddeth's magic seems to be physical. Of course, if we applied the natural, the divine, and the demonic to the magics we've seen so far, we may get something. That would give us 9 shards of different orientations if we're using it as a count. Add another criteria in there (one that has four different options), and we could have a comprehensive list of the shards (3x3x4=36). I doubt it, but it's possible.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
I'm only on page 11, but before I forget I wanted to say that in my opinion the Dor is one thing, and the three magics in Elantris access it in different ways.  They all access the same energy source, but the way to access it is different (the aons, the martial arts, and whatever the monks do.)  So I think that there's only one shard fueling the Dor (and I agree with Chaos that there's one shard in the pool and one outside.  It just seems to make more sense after what he pointed out.)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »
The way you draw the Aons is related to what part of the world you live in. The further you get from the center of the quadrant you're drawing, the more power diminishes. Elantrian magic is most powerful in Elantris because the city is centered on the part of the world they are drawing. I don't know if there are just specific regions you can draw, or if you can always draw with the place you are at the center of the drawing. If it's the latter, it should be possible to map out the entire world and be universally powerful all across the surface. Of course, the different things you do with the Aons is determined by what details you add to the drawing. Perhaps the region Elantrians live in determines what powers they have. Center your drawing on the part of the land that you draw to shield yourself, and maybe your shield spells become stronger.

Rambling theory (I talk too much sometimes).
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »
Maybe only certain people can access certian aspects of the shard on Oplon (that is the planet, right?)

So the Elantrians can only access the Aon part of the DorShard, the monks can only access another aspect.  The fuel comes from the same place,  but is different parts (kind of like this: the aons only let triangle shaped pieces come through, the monks square and the martial arts circle pieces.  It all comes from the same bowl.)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2009, 12:48:18 AM »
Does the location you're living affect if you're eligible for the magic? Is it genetic? Is it completely random?

If location and genetics don't affect it, is your focus always Elantris (for Elantrians)?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2009, 01:41:33 AM »
No, I think the focus is the matrial arts/symbols.  And I think it's a genetic thing.  That's why the people from Teod can also become Elantrians.  Or people who have Elantrian blood in them (ie Galadon)

(Also, I'm totally theorising here.  Don't take anything I say after the post where I say it's from Brandon to be from him.  'Cause it's not.)