Author Topic: My Read Through of Malazan Books of the Fallen  (Read 6689 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: My Read Through of Malazan Books of the Fallen
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 12:25:44 AM »
explain the gate where all the warrens open onto chaos don't you remember how Quick Ben found Shadowthrone in GotM he sends his mind into chaos to find the mouth of the fragment in which Ammanas resides
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
My take on the books is that the warrens are essentially folded or pocket dimensions, almost separate universes, where some being or beings are god.  Their deification in the warren let's them bleed power back into the "real" world.  But the longer they exist the more "diffuse" their personalit(y/ies) becomes until eventually the minds(s) of the warren deity dissipate into mindless power.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 02:45:13 AM »
Andrew, I understand all of what the author has explained, but the problem is that it doesnt really make any sense until, say, book 5, and then he starts contradicting it. And yes, 5 magic systems. Cant say much more withoiut spoiling it for those on earlier books. But Quick Ben utilizes at least 3 of these.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 05:05:47 AM »
It looks to me like there is only one magic system, priesthood to the persons of each warren.  Now certain Characters may be linked to more than one warren and the means of using the power might differ, but it still seems that there one system.  Link up to the warren and use it.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
Well, side from Warren, there are also Holds.

Possible Spoiler, going to try and white text it:
The Warrens are formed from the blood of Krul. While the Holds are different and precede the Elder gods. There is also "earth magic" as used by Samar Dev, and another "witchy" kind of magic as used by Quick Ben (the one using the stick figures) and neither of those have anything to do with the Warrens. Plus, there is yet ANOTHER kind of magic using the tiles and a 6th, utilizing a Deck of Dragons. and we have not even started with "god magic" yet, such as the magic of Chaos, as used by the Crippled God, and the magic used by the Redeemer and the Dying God does not conform to any of those either.

Ok, no white text on this board, put it in yellow to make it more difficult to just "read".

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »
Please don't tempt me with spoilers... even with the warning i would like this thread not to precede where i am if you wish to talk about bonehunters repear's gale and toll of hounds make a new thread and ill join you in a couple of weeks...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »
I tried to be as contrite as I could, and think I succeeded. Mostly, it wont make much sense to you until you actually get that far. I would think.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 06:19:43 AM »
explain the gate where all the warrens open onto chaos don't you remember how Quick Ben found Shadowthrone in GotM he sends his mind into chaos to find the mouth of the fragment in which Ammanas resides

As far as I understand it, all of the warrens reside withing chaos, kind of surrounded by it. Thus, they must border on chaos somewhere. And I seem to remember Quick forcing his way in. But I could be wrong.

There is also a link to each of the warrens from Starvald Demelain (sp?), although I doubt that's what was used.

@mtlhddoc2 - As far as I'm concerned, the Warrens and Holds are the same system. They aren't necessarily the same power source, but it's the same general idea, and the only real difference is that one is more evolved than the other.

As for the tiles, and the Deck of Dragons, they correspond with the individual holds/warrens. They are part of that same system, not a system unto themselves. The "earth magic" used by Samar Dev and the Wickan warlocks is indeed a separate system, I'll give you that. We don't really know what the magic used by Quick with his little figures is. It could be related to the warrens, it could be related to spirit magic. I doubt it's its own little system. Quick's a clever guy with access to 12 warrens. I'm sure he can figure some stuff like that out.

"God magic" as you call it, so far, seems to be aspected to that god's warren, and could be explained using the regular system. For instance, Shadowthrone uses shadow magic (I never can remember whether he's in Rashan or Meanas). Rake uses Kurald Galain. Osric uses Kurald Thyrllan (or is it Liosan? I also have difficulty remembering with the Leosan). I admit that I don't really understand Elder Gods' magic, but they don't really seem to be aspected. Regular old ascendants though, don't use any special type of magic. Just the warrens.

From what I can tell, most of the magic in the series is based around blood. We know that the elder gods get power from blood. We know that the warrens basically are K'rul's blood. We know that blood is utilized in spirit magics, if not it's exact purpose. *SPOILER KAZ THIS IS MARKED SO YOU DON'T READ IT ALTHOUGH IT IS REALLY QUITE MINOR AND YOU PROBABLY WON'T GET IT UNTIL YOU READ THE 7th AND 8th BOOKS ANYWAY* The magic used by the dying god (though not the redeemer, I don't think he ever even used magic) is also related to blood, since that's really all that the Kemyk or whatever it is contains. The Dying God's Blood. [/SPOILER]

The magic of chaos is part of the magic of the warrens. If you remember, in the first book, Hairlock utilizes it too. It's accessed in the same way as a warren and allows the same general things. It's just that it can hurt you a lot more than the warrens can when you use it.

I think I covered everything in your post. It's mostly just a matter of opinion, though I (of course) think I'm right. Anyway, hope I got all of my facts right. If you notice anything that's wrong, please do point it out. If nothing else, it helps me remember better so that when the next one comes out I don't have to re-read all of them. Although that might not be so bad with these books.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, if you get confused, a lot of times, this page on wikipedia will clear up your questions. Though you have to be careful of spoilers, cuz there are lots. This includes comprehensive knowledge from the books (most of it anyway) and some stuff from erikson too. So yeah.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:28:23 AM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 11:44:24 PM »
stop putting spoilers in a DARN READTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and duh chaos envelops the other warrens... that wasn't a spoiler but the fact that you thought it was and put it in here after i asked that not to happen, not to mention common sense dictates you shouldn't do that in a read through, offends me. Don't apolegize just don't do it again!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 02:22:34 AM »
Just finished Bonehunters and ni must say its almost as good as MoI and just as good as Deadhouse Gates

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »
Kaz I never said anything about chaos enveloping the other warrens being a spoiler... The only thing that I marked as a spoiler was, in fact, a spoiler. I will avoid anything from the 7th and 8th books in the future, though.

As for the chaos thing, I was trying to explain the question you asked. Quick found his way to the part of chaos that borders Shadowthrone's warren and forced his way in.

Reaper's  Gale is one of the better ones in the way of wit, IMO. There was one line where I literally laughed for nearly 5 minutes. And it has a great ending too.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »
I loved Reapers Gale though i was rather upset with Beak's and Trull's deaths... i think Beak may well end up as the Magi for High House Death....

This book changes my favorite characters

Current Favorite characters: Beak, Fiddler, Ganoes Paran, and Tehol
Characters that are fun to read but not quite favorites: Hedge, Udinaas,  Trull, Gesler, Kalam, Quick Ben, Toc, and Shadowthrone

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 05:36:54 PM »
Just finished Toll the Hounds which kills this thread...im going to open up a spoiler thread now!!!!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
and hey, Dust of Dreams hits the UK real quick here!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/