Author Topic: Flaming liberals!!!  (Read 4309 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Flaming liberals!!!
« on: September 07, 2004, 01:04:10 PM »
[rant]

So I just read an email from my brother in Sweden, a land of supposed open-mindedness and free-expression. So how do the people of Sweden show their open-mindedness? They break into the LDS Chapel and set it on fire.

Once again I see the example of liberals that preach freedom of speach, thought, and expression as long as long as it's what we speak, think, and express.

[/rant]
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Flaming liberals!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 03:10:11 PM »
no you see the effect of closeminded idiots who think they are liberals.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
   They still might be liberals, and a surprising amount of them are like that. At least the ones I have met or know about. I am not saying all, or most, just more than you might think. I agree with 42, there are a lot of people who preach freedom of expression and freedom of opinion, but if you disagree with them they try to make you ashamed of your opinions or worse. Which is why I like the basic libertarian principle of "your rights end at my nose."
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 04:28:29 PM »
Yeah it's hard to argue that 'rights' are seen as something far more extensive than they are...or than they should be anyway. If Libertarians weren't so isolationist, their party would be more appealing.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 04:39:40 PM »
    I dont really look at them that way. I just see them as the people that are tired of being pushed around all the time by other people, so they want everyone to stop trying to gain power over other peoples lives, and just have everyone take care of themselves.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 04:39:54 PM »
I think Jeffe's point was that these people call themselves liberal but aren't actually liberals (according to the dictionary definition).

Holy crap.  I'm defending Jeffe?  I think I may hyperventilate.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 06:47:21 PM »
pretty much, I was mainly calling them uneducated bigots, but restricting it to the criminals who burned down the church and not condemning the whole country.
Making it a political issue cuts both ways, what about clansmen that bomb churches generally their politics aren't considered liberal.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 06:55:50 PM »
    Oh yeah, you are right of course, there are people who do the same thing for conservative reasons. I don't like them any better, it was just that liberals were the group in question in this particular thread.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 12:03:23 AM »
I've decided that instead of hating liberals or people who claim to be liberals, I just hate stupid people.  Anyone who burns down a church definitely counts as stupid.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 12:19:14 AM »
yeah lets set ourselves apart from stupid people by hating them, ya know lets burn down their churches too!
ya see I dont think hating stupid people is valid, cuz if they were really stupid they wouldnt be able to comprehend what they were doing was wrong in which case you cant hate them because they dont know any beter, what you should actually be saying is you hate people who do not stupid, but bad and immoral things under the guise of being good.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:19:36 AM by arkalith »
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 12:24:46 AM »
Well T.F.O., to be fair, the people you describe don't know any better either since they usually believe that what they are doing is right. So I think it is equally fair to hate stupid people as to hate people who do immoral things under the guise of being good.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 12:26:10 AM »
perhaps thern it's not fair to hate them, rather thier actions and the society that allows that sort of thing?

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 12:38:29 AM »
    Their actions sure, you can hate their actions. But dont blame what they do on society. Society doesnt control what people do, the people themselves do. Do what you will, you wont eliminate people having violent thoughts, or acting upon them, it is all up to the person. So don't blame society, it isnt at fault, the person is. Not to say that I like society, but you cant put this on them.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 12:39:56 AM »
okay but it's not just stupid people...

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 12:49:05 AM »
    No, but a fair majority are stupid, or mentally impaired somehow. Just look at the number of people that say that they did these horrible things because God told them to. Not to say that I know much about religion but it wouldnt occur to me that God would be one to directly speak to people to tell them to break his own sacred rules.