Author Topic: Mistborn Movie  (Read 4648 times)

Jexral

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Mistborn Movie
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »
So, as I am sure most of you already know, Brandon has said that there is a chance of a Mistborn movie happening somewhat soon.

Who is in charge of the Mistborn movie you mentioned at the #tweettheauthor?

Thank you so much, I love your books!

It is a small production studio, so nobody you'd recognize.  The producer is a fan of the Mistborn books who has some credentials in independent films, and who has impressed me with his treatment of the books and his determination to make the film.  This individual is starting a production company to focus on the film.  We're in the contract stages now, and once that is done, I can be more specific.

It's not like the Alcatraz movie, which was optioned directly by a studio.  Because of that, the Mistborn movie is probably a lot less likely to happen--but, the hands it is in are quite good.  Anything having to do with Hollywood is a long-shot in the first place, so (after meeting with the producer) I decided that I'd rather take the slightly more unlikely chance in exchange for the opportunity to work with someone I felt understood the books.

So, I was wondering if there was any more news than what he has given us here?  Any speculation that you have about the film?  Anything?  Sorry if this has been covered in another thread.  I couldn't find one, but I'm pretty new here, so I could have overlooked it, or something.... <shrug>
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Mistborn Movie
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »
Nope, that's basically all the official information we have.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »
Okay.  Good to know, I guess.  Hope they'll come out with some information about it soon.  Well, first I better hope that the project doesn't fall through.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
If you've followed Orson Scott Card's efforts to get Ender's Game made into a movie, you'll know that simply having a contract with a producer does not mean a movie is 2 or 3 or even 5 years away.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
Yeah, I know that.  I've followed some projects that will probably never be made.  Just being optimistic.  It'd be nice to have a Mistborn movie, and Mr. Sanderson would get a lot more money, and that would be nice for him.  <shrug>

musicman99

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:53:34 PM »
a Mistborn movie would totally rock!

Just like to add my two cents  ;)

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:33:55 AM »
There was a previous thread on the possibility of a Mistborn movie and I was going to put my idea there and bring that thread back from the fourth page, but, this will do just nicely.  ;D

I don't think that a movie would do the third book(Maybe even the second book?) justice.
The third book contains too much data to be played out in a movie any shorter than 3 hours. 

My thought: Why not get together with the SciFi(Don't care how they spell it.) channel and make it into a six or seven part mini-series type thing?  That way you can have the room to have everything feasible from the book on screen and it wont seem too long.
I know that most SciFi productions center on giant snakes/bats/bugs/etc. or mythical creatures killing people, but I really think that this would be the best outlet for a film version of the Mistborn series.

What does the book reading Internets think?

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 06:23:47 AM »
You'd have to find people who were interested in doing it, and who would do the book justice. There's just as much chance (perhaps more) to screw up a book or a series of books with a mini-series or tv show as with a movie.

And there WAS someone who was interested in making Mistborn into a tv show. Here was Brandon's response on that:
Note that I rejected the tv series not because of the idea of doing a tv series itself, but because I wasn't confident in the production studio who was making the offer. More details will come once contracts are signed.

Regardless, if the tv show/mini-series/whatever would stay true to the trilogy, I would say go for it, because I would love to see it. But if not, then a movie is fine with me--again, as long as it stays true. It can change a few things, and cut some stuff out, but as long as it gets the essence of the book in there (which I trust Brandon in picking someone who will do it justice. From what I've read from him on this, he seems like he wouldn't sign any contract with someone he thought would mess up the books--any of his books), I'll be content.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
Take, for example LotS. The show has totally taken a life of it's own in regards to the book. My question is that if a movie/mini-series/show is made, will it stay true to the book, or will it start veering away from BS' original thoughts?

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 04:14:19 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing just the first book made into a movie. They could leave it at that, it's a good end point, or, if it's hugely successful, they could try and make the second and third. But I don't want to see the second and third done with a low budget. I think the first one could pull it off with a modest budget. Less so for the others.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 04:15:27 AM »
Take, for example LotS. The show has totally taken a life of it's own in regards to the book. My question is that if a movie/mini-series/show is made, will it stay true to the book, or will it start veering away from BS' original thoughts?

Precisely my point. Legend of the Seeker is entirely different from the source material now. We don't want something like that happening with Mistborn. Sure, we'd like to see it, but I don't think any of us would like it to be unrecognizable as Mistborn except in name....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 04:42:08 AM »
Well, Mistborn was a very special effects centered series. Especially when it comes to fights/magic usage. I'd imagine that just creating an accurate backdrop would deplete any but the most robust TV effects budget. Ignoring ambiance and non-fights magic stuff, a TV budget wouldn't do the fights justice anyway. Mistborn is a blockbuster series, and anything less than a blockbuster film adaptation would come off half-[butted]. I can just see a super-cheap adaptation now, with naught but awful wires and fast motion. No-name actors, of course, because they spent the entire budget on the wire system. *shudder*

Elantris, OTOH, would be a lot easier to pull off on a shoestring budget. All you need is digital painting and makeup work. Well, most of what you need.

Warbreaker would also be easier to pull off with little money, though the crowning moment(s) of awesome would probably end up looking dumb. Warbreaker felt like a potential anime to me, but that is neither here nor there.

There was another thread for Mistborn on film, but it was mostly a fantasy cast list by various members of the forum. Until it turned into this discussion. Merge, anyone?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 07:15:22 PM »
If anyone saw the Dune mini series...it was NOT AT ALL... true to the book starting with Leto II and his twin's ages they are 8 or 9 and in the series are about 16
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Jhgorton

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 01:20:52 AM »

Precisely my point. Legend of the Seeker is entirely different from the source material now. We don't want something like that happening with Mistborn. Sure, we'd like to see it, but I don't think any of us would like it to be unrecognizable as Mistborn except in name....

I'm not really worried about that happening, for several reasons. Primarily, and I don't mean this to be too negative, Mistborn is no Sword of Truth. Diplomatically, if you make a list of what Mistborn is lauded for and a list of what SoT is lauded for, there is little intersection. When I think of Mistborn, I think of a unique magic system, hairpin plot turns, and a vivid, unique world. I remember Wizard's First Rule for the torture sequence that lasted about as long as the FDR administration. Put a little less diplomatically, it have been impossible for a Sword of Truth-inspired miniseries to entertain me less than the books unless it set my television on fire. Even if I'm the only one, my opinion is that SoT was a property that could only grow, especially when you cast Bridget Regan to Sam Raimi. Bruce Spence for playing Marsh, anyone?

But on the other hand, Mr. S has suggested two more trilogies. Even if that only happens in the land where all my dreams are made manifest, they might feel radically than the Final Empire arc. So I guess I'm not adverse to seeing some changes in different medium. The joy of the books will be for those "in the know."  8)

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »
Legend of the Seeker is FAR from being the only book-made miniseries/tv show/movie/whatever that massacred the source material. Can I get a 'Bourne Identity' anyone (yes, I know, it was entertaining. It was also ENTIRELY different from the book)? Or maybe 'The Seeker: The Dark is Rising'...what a joke....It's the last one that bugs me the most--that book should've been easy to make into a very entertaining movie. It wasn't though. And why? Because the writer didn't like the book--he didn't even read it the first time around. Thought it was too boring, yet he decided to screenwrite for it. Why the heck he chose to do that is beyond me. He changed so much that the movie is laughable.

It would be easy for someone to do that to Mistborn. Read the back cover and say "This sounds lame, but ya know what, it's kind of an interesting premise. I think I want to do a movie about it." (That's pretty much what happened with The Seeker...). Changes would be made. The movie would be barely recognizable, and it would become a joke. I would HATE for that to happen to Mistborn. It's already happened to the Dark Is Rising Sequence--which is SUCH a good series of books and didn't deserve the treatment it got. I don't want another one of my favorites to go into the list of 'bad examples' for adaptations...That list is long enough as it is.