Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince  (Read 2984 times)

Jurisprude

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Just saw it.  Quick thoughts on the new Harry Potter film:  Have to say that I thought it was very well done.  I haven't read any of the books since the last book was published, and hadn't seen any of the films since the previous one was released.  So Harry Potter has not really been on my mind until about 2 days ago when I realized this movie was coming out. 

The director had a very sure grip on the movie, striking a very balanced tone between drama, tension, comedy, and teenage angst.  The movie could have used a bit more action, especially at the end as the whole death-eaters-in-the-school was a particularly gripping action sequence in the book.  The acting all around was excellent, particularly Jim Broadbent as Slughorn - he was fantastic.  And this was probably the first of all the HP movies that I enjoyed Ron - both the character and the acting.

All in all this film was a great way to revisit the Potter world.  My wife and I will probably go back and read books 6 and 7 again.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:04:12 PM by Jurisprude »

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »
I agree.  I think this was THE BEST Harry Potter film yet.  I agree that there could have been more fighting.  *spoiler if you quote*

[hide]Like my friends said, I love how he had to trust Snape, and then Snape went and killed Dumbly.  It makes the betrayl that much more powerful.  But at the same time I feel that Harry wouldn't have had the self restraint to stand back and follow slowly like he does, so I liked the book a bit better for that fact.[/hide]

Over all, one of the best movies.  I loved the mockery when Harry is getting the memory from Slughorn.  It's so funny!
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Epistemological

• Level 2
  • Small furry creature from Alpha Centauri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:03:55 PM »
I enjoyed the movie, and I agree that it was a superior Potter production. Maybe they left some loose ends dangling that I didn't notice because of my acquaintance with the universe, but this probably won't really be an issue. I think the books are an established part of Western culture by now.
Once, I asked my imaginary friend,
"Are you real?"
She thought on this, and then sat
down upon the beach. She poked
her finger into the sand; it left a
hole. Ten times she did this, and
nine holes she left.
"Mostly," she concluded, and I was
forced to agree.

musicman99

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
Very good movie, probably the best yet. I'm liking what Mr. Yates is doing for the franchise...

He struck a very good balance between all of the warring plot elements the book was full to the brim with. One of the better movies-adapted-from-a-book I have seen in theaters.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:25:15 AM »
I disliked the book because of harry's mindless obsession being right, though i did enjoy the film, but 2 points of the movie bugged me, malfoy doesn't have crab and goyle trailing him in the guise of girls nor do they show the memories of voldemorts uncle
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Jurisprude

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »
I disliked the book because of harry's mindless obsession being right, though i did enjoy the film, but 2 points of the movie bugged me, malfoy doesn't have crab and goyle trailing him in the guise of girls nor do they show the memories of voldemorts uncle

If anything, I was most disappointed that they gave short shrift to the final battle in Hogwarts - could have been some excellent cinematic moments there ...  hopefully some things get added back in for the DVD.

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »
I think in terms of character development and overall enjoyment it was great.  In terms of ramping up the intensity for the seventh and last movie?  Not so much.  Dumbledore is a major character- we're actually supposed to care that he's dead.  Instead...  :-\
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Geomantrix

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »
I thought it took the worst of the books and made it the best of the movies... quite a feat.  Well, no, I forget that 3 was really very awesome.  It made me want to look up the director's filmography and watch some of his other stuff.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:38:02 PM »
I thought the book was a chore to get through.

The movie was great.  Except for the ending.  Because, really, there wasn't one.  Of all the movies, I think that this one had the worst ending.  It had so much potential for greatness, but instead we just get the rolling credits.  Humbug.

Although, I do still have hopes that the movies for book 7 are grand.  I still believe in those that made HBP because of how much good there was.  Can't wait to see it.

Apparently, Part I (2010) is in post-production, and Part II (2011) is already filming.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »
Huh.  I enjoyed this movie, but I thought it was VASTLY inferior to both Order of the Phoenix, and the Goblet of Fire.  It was a major let-down compared to the book, but still a descent movie in and of itself. 

** Please quote for spoilers. **

[hide]
The thing that really bugged me, though, was that they didn't include the funeral for Dumbledore.  I have a theory that they will include that in the 7th movie, though.  Also, the random scene where the weasley's house get's burned down... that was odd.
[/hide]
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.