Author Topic: UK Mistborn Cover Art  (Read 7701 times)

Publius

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: UK Mistborn Cover Art
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
I'm surprised so many people dislike those covers.  I like the simplicity of them.

As far as the cover to TGS, I'm starting to see why Tor has stuck with Darrel Sweet.  As ugly as that cover is people are still talking about it.  What more can you ask for from a cover?
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »
Now I just have to hope Amazon stocks the UK WOT cover, I don't want KHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN staring at me every time I put the book down.

I already pre-ordered the UK version of TGS. I wont support the US crappy cover.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »
I don't care for these covers, but i don't like the mass paperback covers here either...vin is supposed to be HOT and she is an Ugo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i think sweet needs to be flayed in the middle of some metropolis and i want to see the photoage... his  cover looks like some trained monkey made it
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Specter

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
Hot? She's supposed to look almost like a child in every book except The Hero of Ages. Though I suppose if you're into that . . .

These covers are interesting enough, but I don't see why anyone enjoys the WoT covers. It's not so much the art as the many inconsistencies in the pictures.

Zimra

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »
I don't really think that Vin was supposed to be Hot either. I remember her being described as almost boyish, at least when a younger street urchin. I've never seen her in my mind as attractive, more stone-faced and boyish than anything.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 04:00:24 AM »
Then why do the nobility fawn over her...man how do you miss those details...she is boyish at the begginning of the series only...and it's amazing what a change of clothes and being well groomed can do...people are jealous of Elend including his father in book 2...and she is 16 and 17 in book one and the books are what over the course of 3 or 4 years so she is indeed pretty
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Zimra

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 04:19:42 AM »
Then why do the nobility fawn over her...man how do you miss those details...she is boyish at the begginning of the series only...and it's amazing what a change of clothes and being well groomed can do...people are jealous of Elend including his father in book 2...and she is 16 and 17 in book one and the books are what over the course of 3 or 4 years so she is indeed pretty

Honestly most of it is how I imagine Vin to look. Inkthinkers (If that's the right name) drawing of Vin:

Hard, tough and not particularily attractive complimented by the rough, manly clothing. I know she's dressed up in court dresses through the books and so on, but this is really how I see her. Anyway that's just my opinion, you're welcome to you're own especially if you're taking everything literally from the books.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »
Have you never seen a nerdy girl who wasn't very attractive dress up go to a salon and all that then whow up to a dance and look just absolutely gorgeous? well i have dated girls like that and thats more or less how i see vin going back and forth between identities

Specter

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
She was also mistaken for a child at the end of the second book, in the village where she got the horseshoes. They ask where her parents are.

She is dismissed often in the first book. Even when she's used to the ways of court she's considered an oddity among them, so no real mention of stunning beauty there. Elend is in love with her, so of course he's going to think she's beautiful. As for grace, we're not talking drop-dead gorgeous. Straff pulled out a younger and (in his opinion, granted) more pretty girl with a wave of his arm.

As for the dress shop, beauty is never mentioned. Grace of motion, however, is, and grace isn't necessarily equated to beauty. In fact Thugs are often said to move with 'the grace of a man burning pewter.' In the beginning of the Hero of Ages she is referred to as five foot tall, while comparing her to the Koloss. And that's after she's finished growing.

Not, she might have been young and pretty in a dress during the first two books, but not 'hot' until the end. In fact, I can quote from the third book, page 257 of the paperback:

"'Ah, Vin,' Ham said, leaning back and folding his muscular arms, 'when did you go and grow up on me? It seems like just last week you were scrambling about, hiding in corners, wearing the haircut of a boy and the attitude of a mouse.'"

This observation of her in a dress hints that she is in top form, having truly matured in Ham's eyes. You could say that this is invalid because she is never in a dress, but Ham saw Vin when she came back from Straff's camp after intimidating him, and maybe before. He wouldn't be as surprised if he was already aware that she was, as you said, ' absolutely gorgeous.'

Hell, Elend didn't even seek her out while looking for someone attractive. He first met her while trying to annoy his father.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »
If they ever make Mistborn into a movie I guarantee you one thing.....Vin will not be a hag....
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
I really really like the US Mistborn covers. I didn't much like the UK ones you linked.
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
Did anyone see Brandon's most recent blog post? More foreign covers.
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/812/Annotations-Conventions-and-Unboxing

Wow. The Spanish one is only decent, but the German one is really cool and the Japanese one is simply awesome :o , at least from a distance. The picture on amazon doesn't look so hot :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 07:17:11 PM »
Yeah, I saw that. The Japanese version is indeed awesome, and I'd blame the crappy Amazon pic on compression and a crappy camera. The graininess looks too much like a bad scanner image to me to blame on poor printing. If I read Japanese, I'd totally get that book.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 12:06:02 AM »
I liked the spanish and german covers but the japanese doesn't interest me at all...looks like a typical ya cover when i read ya

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 06:12:24 PM »
Book 1 and 3 are great...but 2 was a bit off for me.  I think it's the angle.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain