Author Topic: Scadriel  (Read 7653 times)

Plasman

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Scadriel
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 01:06:12 AM »
but remember something else that Brandon said. that Ruin and Preservation are the only two shards on scadriel at this time. Shards can either move or be moved somehow. is it not possible that elantris is scadriel in the distant past and the shards have since been switched around somehow?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 04:31:57 AM »
on the spoilers thread didn't he say they may meet because of space travel...if so than the whole theory is blasted to bits
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

bookWorm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 06:11:49 AM »
The biggest problem with that is Ruin and Preservation created the world. All things had a balance of Ruin and Preservation in them except for humans, which had more Preservation- which slowly weakened him until Ruin had more power. They have been there from the beginning of Scadriel.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
All this talk of Hoid is rather confusing . . . is there some place I may find out who this Hoid character is??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
If Scandriel had been created by a different shard, I doubt the inhabitants could have accessed Ruin or Preservation's power.
Nature hates being reified.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 06:27:06 PM »
Shaggy--Hoid
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
Shaggy = The source of all Oneriness. ;P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
your argument brings up an interesting point, bookworm. According to Scadriel's mythology Ruin and Preservation created this world and it's people. But what of Leras and Ati? where did they come from? they are simply humans bound to these shards. so were there people on Scadriel before they became Ruin and Preservation? or were the shards moved to scadriel from some other place where ati and leras are from?

someone on here has already raised the question as to whether there is sone kind of connection between Ati in Mistborn and there being an Ati Aon. maybe Ati came to scadriel from the elantris world after gaining the shard somehow, and thats the connection. or maybe not. i don't know. odds are that mistborn and elantris are on different planets, i'm just raising questions.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

bookWorm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 01:36:25 AM »
I don't think it was just Mythology about them creating the world, but you do have some interesting questions. It seems to me like they don't act as if they were normal people before they held their shards, as Preservation was unable to do the destructive act that got rid of Ruin and had to get Vin to do that. It could be that holding the shards for long changed them though.
   The bit about Ati and Aon Ati was scrapped though, as Ookla mentioned that Atium used to be Atrium but was changed for obvious reasons.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 04:44:07 PM »
your argument brings up an interesting point, bookworm. According to Scadriel's mythology Ruin and Preservation created this world and it's people. But what of Leras and Ati? where did they come from? they are simply humans bound to these shards. so were there people on Scadriel before they became Ruin and Preservation? or were the shards moved to scadriel from some other place where ati and leras are from?

Well, Ruin explicitly claimed to have been around when humans were created; in fact, the creation of humans is what led to Preservation's eventual demise.  When they created humans, they were almost certainly working from other humans they had seen in the universe; Ruin also mentioned that they had seen humans elsewhere, and copied them to put them on Scandriel.  That's all that I think is actually canon on the subject.
Nature hates being reified.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 03:38:56 AM »
Thought I'd point out that "Scadrial" appears to be the correct spelling, not "Scadriel".
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 04:49:10 AM »
Not that it really matters. We all knew what they were talking about. If they'd spelled it Skoldreeul I might have raised the issue. 1 letter I can live with.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

JakobLayn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 10:41:35 PM »
Hey didnt Brandon say something on his website about writing at least one more triloy about Scadrial and it takes place in the future or something... and that there wouldn't be any mistborn...So maybe (if he does plan on doing this mind you) this trilogy will take place in the southern continent seeing as how the first was in the north...idk but thats wat i think
The fear to explore the unknowns in life is to deny yourself all the joys and happiness as well

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 10:44:18 PM »
There won't be any Mistborn, because the power will be so diluted. But there'll still be Allomancy. A lot of Mistings. And a lot more of an urban feel.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »
I believe that he said Mistborn will just be extremely rare, not that there won't be any of them at all. Anyway, the most recent info he released was that the main characters would be tracking down a serial killer who is a Mistborn.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!