Author Topic: Scadriel  (Read 7649 times)

Plasman

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Scadriel
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Alright, I am talking about the world on which the Mistborn series takes place.  Brandon has mentioned that in the course of the story we only get to see the North Pole area of the planet and that he purposefully didn't mention what was happening on the other side, the South.  Now Brandon has said while answering questions on twitter that a sequel to Elantris has already been written: Mistborn.  Now, it is most likely that this is simply a reference to the fact that all of Brandon's books are in the same universe, but I started wondering if it means Elantris and Mistborn take place in the same WORLD. Does Elantris take place on Scadriel?  It would be nice if someone took this question to Brandon on one of these forum thingies he's doing.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Scadriel
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »
I think you misunderstood his twitter answers. He annouced that a sequel to Elantris is one of his next projects, not that it has anything to do with Mistborn (other than the standard Brandonverse theorycrafting you can find in other threads here).
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:44:42 PM »
No, Brandon did say "But the secret answer is this: People ask for an Elantris sequel. There is one. It is called Mistborn."

This doesn't mean they happen in the same world, just the same universe.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »
yeah, thats what i was refering to Ookla. and like i said, it is most likely that this is just a reference to them being in the same universe, but i don't know. as far as i know we don't know the name of the elantris planet. although if Tage is under the impression that i'm way off, then i probably am.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

bookWorm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:49:57 AM »
Brandon has also referenced that the people on the other side of Scadriel would have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts, and though mistings would be about as rare as Mistborns normally are -No Lerasium to help spread the ability- they would still show up.

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:00:11 AM »
Spoilers

I remember thinking the same thing Plasman, I had thought that when the world was turned by Vin, or TLR, the proscimity to the sun created the crack in the Elantris world, but was told that the two are one seperate worlds.  Mistborn taking place on Scadriel, Elantris taking place on Sycla.  Although, I still want to believe that they're on the same planet, it would just be so perfect. The one causing the other, cause and effect.  I mean, why would the two different parts give the planet the same name. If the Elantrian world doesn't know about the Mistborn world, and vice versa, they wouldn't give the planet the same name, so each world would have a different name. BUT of course i'm probably wrong.  Anyways, Elantris is on Sycla.

Thanks little wilson, got a bit confused there. Sycla should be it, that's what the book implies.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:36:39 AM by Stu »

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:14:54 AM »
Opelon is just the name of the continent that Elantris is on. Not the planet.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 05:17:05 AM »
I had taken that as just him suggesting his other books, rather then just waiting for the sequel.  *shrug*
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:56 AM »
I took it similarly, except that I figured he was talking about the order of the books in the 36-book arc. Mistborn follows Elantris....I wonder where that would put the Elantris sequel.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 05:20:17 AM »
Sycla is the Fjordell name for Opelon. Opelon is the Arelish name for Sycla. Both mean the continent.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 05:27:16 AM »
so there is a chance (however small) that i could be right??

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 05:30:36 AM »
I doubt it. It seems like most of his books that aren't "direct" sequels are on different planets. ie Warbreaker, Mistborn, Kings, etc....Elantris and the sequel would be on the same planet, but not Elantris and Mistborn. The 36-book arc is in reference to the Brandon-verse (or the Hoid-verse....either one). I think. Is that right, Ook?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 05:42:57 AM »
Yes.

I'm not sure what term Brandon uses for it, but they're the worlds of the Shards of Adonalsium. Hoid is visiting all the worlds but he's not their creator or anything like that. Though Brandon did tell me a bit about him today (which I must not share).

He did tell me there is a trace of Hoid in one of the Deleted Scenes posted on the website (something that I'm sure no one has noticed)... He'll probably post it on the B&N chat soon but until then you can go scouring for it.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 05:56:23 AM »
By "trace" are you saying appears (but is not named), or the affects of something he does are in the scene?

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 06:02:42 AM »
I shall now scour the deleted scenes for said "trace"
Which book's deleted scenes?