Author Topic: Wheel of Time - for those that wanna read brandons books but not Jordans  (Read 3289 times)

Braus

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
First of all, i really love the WOT series and ive reread the complete series book 1-11 5 times now and if you never taken up a copy and given the series a chance, you should really do it (imo). If you already dismissed the series for some personal reason, or maybe prejudices?^^, i wont argue. One thing though, at least me personally never liked the swedish translation as much as the english original, it was abit different and sometimes you even got grave sentence errors and the likes.. So yeah, at least if you are swedish i recommend you reading the series in english. Or listening to the Audio book which is great(took me through a whole summer of boring work listening to the audio book pretty much 8 hours a day :)

Anyway this is gonna be filled with spoilers, the two links i post. Its reread blogs where a person places his own thoughts as he goes along and reads through the chapters in the books, all the way from book 1 to 11. And just because you read summaries from his blog entrys from the first book wont spare you from spoilers from later books. Jordan was a master of Forshadowing and you will soon see that a crazy amount of stuff happening in the beginning of the books is very well connected to later books and fits togheter in the whole picture.

Anyway, if you are a person who wants to follow Brandons work with the three last books, but cba reading the previous books not written by Brandon, here is your chance to pretty much get up to date with everything - even if it might not be as enjoyable experience as reading, or actually it wont be even near, it might even be a loss and spoil a later moment when you actually decide, regardless of prejudices coming from tolkien fans who likes to bash jordan, to read the books :)

Here is the two links to the reread blogs:
a more organized blog, going after each chapter in the books
http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=13372

a more loose one, touching all sort of stuff really.
http://13depository.blogspot.com/2002/12/read-through-2009-index.html

Here is also the beginning of book 1, the Audio book(there is only the prolouge and about half of chapter one on youtube) That is a bare fraction, think there is 40 something chapters in the first book.

[links removed]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:11:44 PM by Tage »

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
The TOR.com one is great, but it is LOADED with spoilers and may make no sense if you're trying to follow along. One place you can get the "gist" of what has happened in previous books is right here this forum. Just go to the WOT Help thread and read it from beginning to end. Its a long thread but our friend JoeC recaps the series as a first time read, with no spoilers included.

I just throw that out as a way to get the GIST of informaiton. There is still a ton of great stuff you'll miss out on and I highly recommend reading the whole thing, or hitting those Audio books.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
I'm a little worried about the legality of the audiobooks on YouTube. They are, as mentioned, just a tiny preview, so it may fall under Fair Use, but still...

Peter, is this something that's generally allowed?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
I would not say so. The first 2 minutes might be fair use, but then it has links to everything else there on the YouTube page. (Also, the sound quality is not good.)

If you want to listen to the audiobooks for free, there are such things as public libraries.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
Ok, I agree. While I appreciate what you're doing Braus, we don't want links to copyrighted material on the forums. Thanks for the Tor links though, I think some people will find them very helpful and interesting.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Not wanna read Jordan? Does.Not.Compute.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
Heh, on a side note, I'm one of those people. I got about 100 pages into WoT book 3 and couldn't take it anymore. The stories were so slow and the main characters so annoying that I just gave up. It's not for everyone.

Braus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Didnt really think much about it since it was only the proluge and a part of the first chapter of the books, but ok ^^ The sound quality is indeed only decent in the first youtube clip, but its overall good later.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Heh, on a side note, I'm one of those people. I got about 100 pages into WoT book 3 and couldn't take it anymore. The stories were so slow and the main characters so annoying that I just gave up. It's not for everyone.

Wow, you didn't even make it as far as I did.  I made it about 1/3 of the way thru book 5 before I realized that, for the most part I really didn't care that much about the vast majority of the characters.  I put it down, intending to eventually start where I left off but now 4 1/2 years later I think that I would have to start all over again, and that is something I don't care to do.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-