Author Topic: Favorite Authors...Where does Brandon Rate?  (Read 10939 times)

Zhalfirin

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Authors...Where does Brandon Rate?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »
10. H. P. Lovecraft
 9.  Robert W. Chambers (I always found idea behind The King in Yellow intriguing)
 8.  Neil Gaiman
 7.  Tom Clancy
 6. Stephen King
 5. Isaac Asimov
 4. Brandon Sanderson
 3. Robert Heinlein
 2. Robert Jordan (Best fantasy author I've read)
 1. Peter F. Hamilton (His style of writing reminds me a lot of RJ, but for Scifi)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 05:47:19 AM »
I have a difficult time rating my favorite authors.  The cream of the crop though are:

Daniel Abraham
KJ Parker
Scott Bakker
Robert Jordan
Joe Abercrombie
Stephen King (for his stories and characters, if not his endings)

Brandon probably fits somewhere towards the bottom of the top 20.  Thus far, I've been very impressed with his ideas (magic systems, worlds, plots) and his characterizations, but have felt the actual directions that his stories take to be somewhat lacking.  Worth my reading time, just not a top position with my favorites.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Zimra

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 02:30:52 AM »
I don't have an order of who's my favourite, so off the top of my head...

David Eddings (The characters in the Belgariad are brilliant. He may not be the most sophisticated writer, but along with Tolkien he got me into fantasy.)

Raymond E. Feist (Again, not the most sophisticated author,  but my old English teacher gave me a copy of Magician, and I love the whole Riftwar universe. He needs to write more about Kelewan, though.)

George R.R. Martin (Wish he'd write faster)

Frank Herbert (I love Dune)

Robert Jordan

Brandon Sanderson

My all time favourite though has got to be Janny Wurts. The Wars of Light and Shadow is the best fantasy series I've ever read, and her standalone books are great too, especially Master of Whitestorm.

Ehran

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 04:33:32 AM »

George R.R. Martin (Wish he'd write faster)

There, I helped correct your statement a bit. 

morppp

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
My current top 10 authors
1) George R. R. Martin
2) Susanna Clarke
3) Robin Hobb
4) J. D. Salinger
5) Donna Tartt
6) Patrick Süskind
7) Robert Jordan
8) Brandon Sanderson
9) Trudi Canavan
10) Jonathan Stroud

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »
5 Brandon Sanderson
4 Mark Z. Danielewski
3 Terry Goodkind
2  Robert Jordan
1 (And the oddity...) Emily Bronte.  I just love that Wuthering Heights.  <grin>
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 11:19:06 PM »
Does anyone remember at what age and what author that got you interested in the genre? i was 7 or 8 and i read John Peel's Diadem (books of magic) and since it is a kids or ya (i can't remember what age group it was written for) i really am not interested in rereading it... i read harry potter a year later and like that series more but it wasn't the stone that tipped the boulder running for me.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

FantasyAngel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »
If I remember correctly I was 15 and it was Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials that really propelled me into fantasy.  Prior to that I was heavily into point horror books.  I probably would still be a big horror reader now if I hadn't picked The Golden Compass up at the book fair to do a book report on for  english class.  I've never looked back although I still branch out occasionally.
In a world gone mad escape into fantasy.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 02:53:29 AM »
I started by reading Lloyd Alexander's The Book of Three in 1st grade, which would make me 6-7. My brother talked incessantly about WoT when I was in 3rd grade (he was in 5th), so I read that series so I wouldn't be clueless in conversation. I was done for after that.

Brandon's in the top 10 somewhere. Zelazny is probably number one, though he does do some things that irk me occasionally. Jordan, Pratchett, and Bujold are up there.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 04:40:16 AM »
Yay three people agree Zelazny pwns!!!! though i do have him tied for 1st
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »
I mocked fantasy for the longest time. I was converted in about 8th or 9th grade. I'm not sure which I read first because they were so close together but it was either The Belgariad, or Harry Potter. I'm leaning more towards HP, though, because I distinctly remember when my sister went into the living room to read Goblet of Fire (chapter was The Dark Mark) out loud to her twin, and I decided to go in and make fun of it....Yeah, I failed miserably.  :D
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »
EUOL is definitely near the top of my list of favorite authors along with Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game, enuf said), David Eddings, Ben Bova, Robert Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange Land [the unabridged version, naturally] is one of my favorite books of all time), Tolkien (The Hobbit is the 1st "High/epic fantasy I read over 20 years ago when I was 10 or so, and as such will always hold a special place in my heart), R.A. Salvatore, Dean Koontz, Poe (probably my favorite all around author, from poetry to short stories, fantastic), Neil Gaiman (if you haven't read Everwhere you are missing out), Le Guin (the Earthsea series is fantastic), just to name a few.

You may notice that RJ is missing. Yeah, so, I am one of the few that just couldn't finish reading his books.   I thought book 1 was good (enough so that I kept reading) but by the time I got about half way thru Lord of Chaos (book 6), I realized I just didn't care about any of the characters and wasn't interested in what happens next.  So I stopped reading.  Blasphemy, I know.  I own books 1-10 so I may eventually go back and start over again.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Bururian

• Level 1
  • Ow, my brain.
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »
5. Brent Weeks
4. Tad Williams
3. J.R.R. Tolkien
2. Robert Jordan
1. Brandon Sanderson

It fluctuates on a yearly basis, so things shift. This year Jordan is behind Sanderson, next year Sanderson could drop, but that I highly doubt. It's just on what I'm really into at the moment.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Kestrel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
Sanderson is easily my favorite right now. I recently started going through the Mistborn books with my girlfriend, and they're absolutely fantastic. Hands down some of the best books I've read in ages. No one comes close right now. xD

Other than that, I don't really have a particular order. Tamora Pierce is probably the only other author I enjoy that comes close to Sanderson, but while I enjoy a lot of others I really can't say that they'd be ranked as favorites.

musicman99

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 10:57:06 PM »
1. J. R. R. Tolkien
2. Orson Scott Card
3. Robert Jordan
4. Brandon Sanderson
5. Isaac Asimov (go Foundation!)