Author Topic: **Spilers** What's going to happen in AMoL (our theories)  (Read 14736 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Re: **Spilers** What's going to happen in AMoL (our theories)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 AM »
Also in the prologue it mentions Moridin flexing his left hand, and that Rand can sometimes still feel his left hand. Rand and Moridin are merging due to to their balefires touching. One of the Forsaken even mentions that he stands like Rand now. Rand's body will die, but he won't
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

avox

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
**Spoilers**

What did i miss, and what are your theories?

Perrin ditches Faile and marries Tylee instead (the prologue revealed that Tylee has a crush on Perrin)

Moiraine marries Thom and they both miss Tarmon Gaidon 'cause they are on honeymoon.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 02:48:50 AM »
When I read the glossary for LoC, saw that there was an entry for Moiraine Damodred, and it was something along the lines of, "An Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah, supposedly dead," that was more than enough to tell me that she was coming back at some point. Which made me very happy, because Moiraine = Awesome.

Just a thought, but for Min's viewings about Rand's not death (however that works) to work out, all three of his Wonder Girls have to stay alive. So it won't be any of them. That leaves Nynaeve as the only other person I can think of that's particularly close to him. I hope she dies. That would make me very, very happy.

If Cadsuane died, I'd be quite thoroughly depressed. She's pretty awesome, in my opinion. Although she can be a tad annoying at times.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

TMan

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Lolchair
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 07:31:06 AM »
When I read the glossary for LoC, saw that there was an entry for Moiraine Damodred, and it was something along the lines of, "An Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah, supposedly dead," that was more than enough to tell me that she was coming back at some point. Which made me very happy, because Moiraine = Awesome.

Just a thought, but for Min's viewings about Rand's not death (however that works) to work out, all three of his Wonder Girls have to stay alive. So it won't be any of them. That leaves Nynaeve as the only other person I can think of that's particularly close to him. I hope she dies. That would make me very, very happy.

If Cadsuane died, I'd be quite thoroughly depressed. She's pretty awesome, in my opinion. Although she can be a tad annoying at times.

Perhaps Cadsuane teaches Rand to cry (or laugh) by dying. Ooh I would love that.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »

I thought about Min's visions also. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Min's ability to have "future viewings" has never been explained. We've been under the impression that there always right because they've always been right up until now.  Now that the end is near, and the dead are getting up and walking around, maybe now her visions won't be quite as accurate.

Even if you don't follow all the visions and prophecies, I think most people get the feeling that this series is headed for a pretty clean, clear cut ending. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe all her visions will be 100% accurate, no one dies, and everyone lives happily ever after at the end. However, I believe every good story has several unexpected twists in the end. With the end near, the authors are starting to show that what was isn't necessarily what will be.

This series went from 3 books to 6 to 12, 13 briefly, and finally to 14 book, so if RJ was planning on axing characters in the final battle he would have have to of dragged them along until the final book. The thing is, even if several major characters would die, you could still have a big going away party in the dream world.
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
If min's viewings stop coming true, about 3/4 of the foreshadowing goes down the drain. We can no longer trust what she says, and have to reevaluate everything.

Aside from that, there's plenty of evidence that all 3 girls survive. The wise ones have a dream about it, and Nicola has a foretelling.

Oh, and Nynaeve doesn't die either. Yesterday I saw a quote from RJ stating that he had known what the final scene of the series was since before he started writing, and Nynaeve was in it.

We know Mat and Tuon don't die, since one of the outriggers is based on them.

Anyone else is fair game.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:56 PM »
Perrin isn't fair game either, "If one strand is cut from the pattern all three are cut."
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 01:28:25 AM »
That could theoretically only apply up until the Last Battle, though. If one of them isn't there, they'll all die. That said, if Rand dies of old age, Mat and Perrin won't spontaneously collapse. So if Perrin died in the last battle, it might work out.

That said, I think it fairly likely that he'll survive Tarmon Gaidon.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 04:12:38 AM »
Personally, I don't expect to see everybody die, or everybody live ... I think somewhere around 50% of the main characters surviving might be a pretty good balance. I do expect Rand to die ... I think he's going to have to pretty much sacrifice himself to save the world. And I can live with that, though I will kind of admit, sucks to be him.

In a way, it would be kind of interesting, after all of Lan's carping about leaving a widow in the first book or two, if Lan ended up surviving, while Nynaeve died. Not saying I want to see it, just it would be a slightly interesting twist, looked at from that angle.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 04:31:14 AM »
I want to see that!!! After all "Death is lighter than a feather. Duty is heavier than a mountain." And somehow Lan always finds a duty to live for. The funny thing is it may be he swings full circle and ends up instead of "vengenace for what can not be protected" that his war ends and he gets his crown.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
For the in-depth discussion go to Dragonmount, I can't recall everything but they're pretty sure Rand lives.

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 06:37:35 AM »
For the in-depth discussion go to Dragonmount, I can't recall everything but they're pretty sure Rand lives.

Rand constantly going around thinking he's going to die is exactly the kind of irony Jordan likes to play with.

There are three (IIRC) relevant passages: the "blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul" line from the Prophesies. Nicola and Min's foretelling Rand's women around his funeral bier, and the "to live, you must die" line from the Finn.  Rand takes these to mean that he's going to die.

However, though Rand is certain he's not going to last past Tarmon Gai'don, he's probably misinterpreting "die" to mean literal death.  Another possibility is figurative death--Rand plays dead for a while as he goes into hiding--kind of like he's already been doing since capturing Illian, but even more so.

Yet another option is that Rand's body fails (thus fulfilling the "blood on the rocks" bit), but his soul continues in Moridin's body (or something like that).

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 06:45:59 AM »
The Body Swap theory. Min also see's Rand as a beggar with a cane. This is after the viewing of the 3 women over the funeral bier.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »
The point is, Rand will in some way survive the Last Battle. Like you say, the fact that virtually everyone is sure he's going to die pretty much guarantees that. And there are plenty of possibilities for ways it could happen.

So I'd say that the big 3 are out, as well as Rand's 3 wonder girls, Nynaeve, and Tuon. Good possibilities for death are, in my opinion: Lan (He's pretty much screwed if I'm right), Egwene, Moiraine (after all, she's already been dead for 6 books), Virtually any of the other Aes Sedai and Asha'man, Bashere (has to die for Perrin to get Broken Crown, same goes for Tenobia), Gawyn (but only if Egwene doesn't die. If she dies, he'll survive so Jordan can show us Gawyn's reaction), Virtually all of the Aiel Clan chiefs, a couple of Kings/Queens (like Alliandre and perhaps whoever it is that's running Arad Doman these days aside from Graendal), and (just a guess) Narishma (He's toast. Doesn't stand a chance. He's going to be running around close to Rand and using Callandor. Doesn't sound like the best option to stay alive....).

Other characters who I would guess are safe include Logain (his whole glory thing), Faile (Perrin doesn't get the Broken Crown without her... I think), Galad, Berelain, That one guy whose name escapes me who Rand made King of Tear, and Morgase.

Now this is all based off of what I want to happen / my general hunches. There are only a few that are based in fact. For instance, while I really want to see Egwene die, and it's possible for it to happen (and would be a great scene too), there's absolutely no proof that it will. I don't think that there's any viewings of her beyond the last battle, though, so she probably could. 

One of the more interesting ideas I've seen is that Graendal, in her attempts to emotionally hurt Rand, tries to attack Min. She can't kill her (as per various viewings and prophecies), but she could seriously injure and/or maim her. That would really freak Rand out. I almost hope it happens. It could definitely spark a moment like the one on the cover of TGS (though this one would actually be cool, as opposed to cheesy).

Wow, there are way too many parentheses in that post. Oh well. You all love them!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:56:41 PM by Andrew the Great »

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
I would have a hard time with the ending if Rand doesn't die.  Here's a guy that's been built up to be god-like if not a god. He's been sent to battle the Dark One, and people are scared to even say the DO's name. If he wins and lives, he's king of the world, god of the world. If people were scared of the DO they'd be petrified of the Dragon Reborn who defeated the DO, IMO. It's not like Rand is viewed favorably by the general public, he's not looked upon as a hero, more of a necessary evil. Rand is one of my favorite characters I don't want him to die, but the thought of the series ending with him being a king, farmer, or beggar isn't satisfying to me. He was born for war he'd be out of place in a time of peace, IMHO.

This entire series is built upon the belief that certain characters are reborn to do certain tasks. You can even talk to some of the characters before they're reborn in the dream world (Birgette Silverbow as an example). I think it would be a shame not to use those elements to create a dramatic conclusion. It's another reason why I'd find an ending with Rand surviving to be less than satisfying.

One of the more interesting ideas I've seen is that Graendal, in her attempts to emotionally hurt Rand, tries to attack Min. She can't kill her (as per various viewings and prophecies), but she could seriously injure and/or maim her. That would really freak Rand out. I almost hope it happens. It could definitely spark a moment like the one on the cover of TGS (though this one would actually be cool, as opposed to cheesy).

That's an interesting thought. That would freak him out, and it would be a nice intro into a big battle scene.

On a different note, I have a question about the prologue, so if you haven't read it you may not want to  read any further.

In the prologue there's a scene where a blacksmith and his wife come over a hill, and it's told that his father fought in the Aiel War, and he doesn't wear a top-knot anymore. The blacksmith then tells a farmer that he's heading north where an army is assembling, and a battle will take place. Doesn't Lan have a top-knot too? I'm just wondering if this is the beginning of Lan's kingdom being reborn again, or if I'm just misremembering things?
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan