Author Topic: Book 14 Title  (Read 1425 times)

AGrey

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Book 14 Title
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
We've all read the explanations stating that books 12, 13, and 14 are all to be considered volumes in a larger book, but really, nobody is going to look at it that way.  it's like the Lord of the Rings: it's one tale told in six books, called The Lord of the Rings.

nobody knows of or remembers the subtitles of the six books, nor do most people see the series as one whole as a single volume.

people just know that the first book in the trilogy is Fellowship, the second is Towers, and the third is Return.  of course, what they call "fellowship of the ring" is really volumes 1 and 2 of the single book lord of the Rings, but that's not the way people think of it.

so to the main point of the post: Tarmon Gaidon is the tentative title for book 14.

can we please, please use the title that Robert Jordan originally planned for the last book: "A Memory of Light"

It's a great title, and if you leave it as the supertitle (? is that the opposite of subtitle?) of the final "Book with three volumes", nobody is ever going to use it.

I just can't imagine a conversation with someone where I call one of the final books "AMoL:TG" or "AMoL:GS"

lastly, it doesn't follow the naming scheme at all.
the _ of _
Gathering Storm I can live with, because at least we have Great Hunt and Dragon Reborn in that scheme as well...

And as a final note aside from the obvious of wanting to avoid using made-up words as fantasy titles (which does absolutely nothing to help common perceptions of the genre, all of the other titles had a certain... poetry to them.
Crossroads of Twilight is one of my favorite titles, Crown of Swords, Knife of Dreams, Fires of Heaven.

A Memory of Light <-perfect title.

in short: nobody's going to remember that the last three books are all going to be part of the same volume called "A Memory of Light" with subtitles, they're just going to call it by the name that distinguishes it from the others.

I don't know if "A Memory of Light: the Gathering Storm" is still on the title page of book 12, but I can't imagine it's gone to print yet, so there's still time to take it off.

Please abandon your subtitles approach to the final trilogy, and end the series with the title that RJ wanted!
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Book 14 Title
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:00:40 PM »
so to the main point of the post: Tarmon Gaidon is the tentative title for book 14.

Your information is out of date.

Brandon announced on his web site at least a month or two ago that the AMOL with subtitles idea had been scrapped.  The next book is "The Gathering Storm", not "A Memory of Light: The Gathering Storm".  In addition, the current version of the progress bar FAQ states that the working title of the second no-longer-sub-book (Shifting Winds) will definitely be changed before publication, and the last one will probably be "A Memory of Light".

So, no need to argue, it's already been decided in your favor.

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:23:13 AM »

Your information is out of date.

Brandon announced on his web site at least a month or two ago that the AMOL with subtitles idea had been scrapped.  The next book is "The Gathering Storm", not "A Memory of Light: The Gathering Storm".  In addition, the current version of the progress bar FAQ states that the working title of the second no-longer-sub-book (Shifting Winds) will definitely be changed before publication, and the last one will probably be "A Memory of Light".

So, no need to argue, it's already been decided in your favor.

oh...

I hadn't read the updated portion of that post, just the original part when it was posted, so this has been bugging me for some time now...

well, that's great!

[edit] anyone have any ideas about the title of the 13th book, then?

any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:24:57 AM by AGrey »
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:30:08 AM »
The One Where Rand Dies.

...follows the naming scheme of 'Friends'.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
Good to hear about #14 being AMOL. It's just such a great title that I don't see anyone NOT using it. :)