Author Topic: So i had a thoroughly terrible day yesterday...  (Read 1998 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
So i had a thoroughly terrible day yesterday...
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »
First off, I just wanna say I'm not trying to garner any sympathy or something, mostly just share how yesterday just kinda toppled out of a control a bit. All in all, I'm gonna be fine, and things will get better and all that, but I just thought I'd share.

First off, I have to call off work, because my car is leaking power steering fluid (ok, that's not too bad, or to big of deal). I take my car up to get checked out. Turns out the problem is the rack and pinion, and fixing it is more expensive than I want to pay for a car that old (nearing 200K miles on it), so now i have to work towards getting a new car.

Next, my dog seems to be lethargic, doesn't want to eat or drink, and we later find out he has soft stool, with blood in it. So we have to take him to the vet. After a $300 vet trip, we find out from the x-rays he didn't eat something, and we're supposed to find out the lab results today, but hopefully shouldn't be too bad. They gave us an antibiotic, and he was seeming much better by the evening.

Lastly, my girlfriend goes to the doctor, because she's been having stomach pains. Turns out he appendix ruptured. So she has to go to surgery that night. She pulled through the surgery ok late last night, so she's gonna be fine, though, so that's good.

Anyways, like I said, just thought i'd share.

Anyone else have any thing particularly nasty they'd like to get off their chests? :)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: So i had a thoroughly terrible day yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
I'm not a vet, but my family breed dogs.  Those symptoms sound a lot like a common canine intestinal parasite infestation called coccidiosis.  It's a microbe and probably not lethal.  Can't be shared with humans and can be identified in stool.  Might be something to suggest to the vet.  Vets can be as bad as MDs for overprescribing unnecessary testing and Xrays these days.  One would think that checking for parasites would have been first on the list with bloody stool.

Just a thought.

You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
I'm not a vet, but my family breed dogs.  Those symptoms sound a lot like a common canine intestinal parasite infestation called coccidiosis.  It's a microbe and probably not lethal.  Can't be shared with humans and can be identified in stool.  Might be something to suggest to the vet.  Vets can be as bad as MDs for overprescribing unnecessary testing and Xrays these days.  One would think that checking for parasites would have been first on the list with bloody stool.

Just a thought.

That's what we thought, too. In fact, we even brought in a sample for them to test first, but the insisted on x-raying before anything.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »
Anyone else have any thing particularly nasty they'd like to get off their chests? :)

Nothing on the order of what you went through, but my day also kinda sucked. Worked for 11 hours finishing a school project that I thought was almost done, then went out to find my bike tire flat.

Must have been a cursed day or something.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »
heh, so i have a bit of a good news/bad news situation regarding my original post.

Good news: The problem that was diagnosed with the car was wrong. Instead of being incredibly expensive to fix, it was comparably cheap. (they thought it was the rack and pinion, turns out a hose was busted so bad it LOOKED like it was the rack and pinon)

Bad news: The vet called, and the dog may have parvo. They requested us to bring him in ASAP.

Neutral news: Haven't heard anything about my girlfriend since last night. Going to see her after work. No news is good news, as they say....

edit: within 30 seconds of posting the above post, my girlfriend contacted me via aim. Her sister brought her netbook to the hospital so that she has something to do.

edit edit: Well, it isn't parvo. Waiting until tomorrow for MORE blood work  :-\
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:52:04 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard