Author Topic: Inherent Goodnes ***Possible Spoilers***  (Read 1742 times)

AllWrong

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Inherent Goodnes ***Possible Spoilers***
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »
I was re-reading Warbreaker, and I just realized what it is I like so much about Brandon Sanderson's work.  I don't know if it is a belief he personally holds, but his work sure makes it look like he believes in the inherent goodness of mankind.

Even The Lord Ruler was doing what he saw as good.  (Granted, his perceptions were quite twisted by Ruin, but the point remains.)  Even Susebron who is initially made out to be a tyrant turns out to be a good man.  Then there's Vasher (great anti-hero material there) who you can't decide if he's good or bad until nearly the end of the book when it turns out even he is trying to do good.  Even Denth has a good man trapped deep inside him, he's just lost his way.  (Granted most of these perceptions are from Warbreaker, but it's the one I'm reading, now).  To move on to other books, look at Hrathen who represents the bad guys.  He did what was right in the end.

I've always believed in the inherent goodness in man, and it brightens my day to read good fiction from an author that apparently believes the same.  Especially since I paradoxically like dark subject matter.  I love the dark feel to his books (which is probably my biggest regret with Warbreaker.  The world is too bright and shiny.)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Inherent Goodnes ***Possible Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »
I've noticed this too, though not especially with any particular character in WARBREAKER. I absolutely agree with you about the world being full of bunnies :D  (exaggeration, obviously, and not necessarily a bad thing.) Where I most noticed it was Raoden's character in ELANTRIS; such an optimist. And he succeeds in convincing others in joining him in his optimism.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:08 AM »
Most people hold the belief that they are a "good" person...he just shows that they had justifications behind the acts... and in respect to Raoden... hope is a powerul weapon
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:55:49 AM »
I disagree slightly (maybe it's just a matter of semantics).  Most people feel they are justified.  And in someone that doesn't believe in the inherent goodness of mankind, justification is about the most you can expect to have explained.  Mr. Sanderson actually shows that people are (for the most part) TRYING to do good, as opposed to just trying to show justification for their actions.  I suppose Denth was a bad example for me to use in the OP, because he falls into the justification category.  I believe Denth was a good man that got himself in too deep and didn't see a way out, so he had to justify what he was doing to live with himself.  Still that shows justification, not trying to do good.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »
I suppose Denth was a bad example for me to use in the OP, because he falls into the justification category.  I believe Denth was a good man that got himself in too deep and didn't see a way out, so he had to justify what he was doing to live with himself.  Still that shows justification, not trying to do good.

This is a mighty good definition of a lot of bad men.

Of course, I've noticed that people (myself included) sometimes have a hard time coming to terms with the way humans actually behave.  We hate to think that, but for the grace of God, there we go too.
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:44:23 AM »
That is if you believe god cares what we do
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 05:35:33 PM »
That is if you believe god cares what we do

Idiom.  I do believe in God, but the usage here was strictly idiomatic.
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:24:36 AM »
I know the idiom but it doesn't exactly apply to all...though most idioms don't do they?