Author Topic: So.... Sazed lied? :) (Warning, spoilers...)  (Read 2295 times)

Morfedel

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
So.... Sazed lied? :) (Warning, spoilers...)
« on: June 29, 2009, 02:00:26 AM »
I JUST finished reading HoA a few minutes ago, and tantalized by the promise of two last metals, I went on the internet searching for them.

And found  this poster: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/mb_table_v13.jpg

To my count, that's FOUR metals that were not discovered: Chromium, Nicrosil, Cadmium, Cerrobend. Furthermore, they pulled out Atium from the diagram at the back of book 3, and added the mysterious allomancer-breeding metal Larasium as well.

So, apparently the new god of the world has no problems with fibbing a bit. :)  (( hehe ))

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: So.... Sazed lied? :) (Warning, spoilers...)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:42 AM »
Maybe Sazed was referring to two new base metals :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:45:43 AM »
I think it was in the HoA spoiler thread, but Mr. Sanderson said that the two metals that Sazed mentions are Chromium and Nicrosil and that Cadmium and Bendalloy(Cerrobend is copyrighted and has been replaced with Bendalloy) were known.
I'm unsure if it was TLR that knew of them or the Inquisitors or the Obligators, but he did say that, specifically, it was those two metals.

I had thought that it was the two base metals as well when I first read it.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 05:27:08 AM »
No, Brandon Sanderson did say something specifically on the subject, but it was not that cadmium and bendalloy counted as already known.  Specifically:

3.  RAFO.  (Sorry.)  Let's just say that when Sazed said there are two metals you haven't found, he MIGHT not have been referring to a metal and its alloy, but two base metals.  Who knows.  Gods can be frustratingly ambiguous in times like that.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:00:31 AM »
Also, that table has changed a bit.

Cerrobend became Bendalloy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »
No, Brandon Sanderson did say something specifically on the subject, but it was not that cadmium and bendalloy counted as already known.  Specifically:

3.  RAFO.  (Sorry.)  Let's just say that when Sazed said there are two metals you haven't found, he MIGHT not have been referring to a metal and its alloy, but two base metals.  Who knows.  Gods can be frustratingly ambiguous in times like that.

Yes, but it effectively answers the question.  Sazed didn't lie; he was referring to the base metals.  We don't have to have it all word of godded when the answer is perfectly obvious from the pieces left lying around.
Nature hates being reified.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:55:11 AM »
If he's referring to the base metals then what two pairs of metals have to removed from the Allomancy chart as it stands at the end of HoA?
Atium and Malatium, obviously, but what other metal pair has to be removed?  Yoman doesn't say what the other pair is when he corrects Elend, but, with the Ruin metals removed from the chart, every metal is accounted for.  I doubt that Yoman knows about Larasium or any of it's alloys.  I'm thinking that, since TLR kept Aluminium a secret, it's external pair would be made completely unknown to everyone(I could see a Leecher in a group or a Mistborn burning Chromium killing the crap out of Inquisitors.)
I think, logically, that the metal Yoman knew of was Cadmium and Bendalloy and the metal that Sazed mentions is Chromium and Nicrosil.

It does make sense.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
If he's referring to the base metals then what two pairs of metals have to removed from the Allomancy chart as it stands at the end of HoA?
Atium and Malatium, obviously, but what other metal pair has to be removed?  Yoman doesn't say what the other pair is when he corrects Elend, but, with the Ruin metals removed from the chart, every metal is accounted for.  I doubt that Yoman knows about Larasium or any of it's alloys.  I'm thinking that, since TLR kept Aluminium a secret, it's external pair would be made completely unknown to everyone(I could see a Leecher in a group or a Mistborn burning Chromium killing the crap out of Inquisitors.)
I think, logically, that the metal Yoman knew of was Cadmium and Bendalloy and the metal that Sazed mentions is Chromium and Nicrosil.

It does make sense.

I'm pretty sure the chart had a hole in the enhancement metals at the end of HoA.  Afterwards, they would have to fill the hole (Chromium and Nicrosil) AND replace Atiam and Malatium (Cadmium and Bendalloy).

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
The pie chart doesn't have a hole in it, but the text chart below it only lists 14 metals including Atium and Malatium.

I don't think Yomen knew what the other metals were—he just knew that there had to be 16.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »
That would make sense.  If Yoman knew then someone else knew and if someone else knew then there'd have been Pulsers and Sliders all over ""unofficially"".

I suppose that makes it a toss up between Cadmium/Bendalloy and Chromium/Nicrosil... I still think that my logic is sound when it comes to that though, no one outside of the Steel Ministry, or possibly just the Inquisitors, was supposed to know of Aluminium's existence.  From there it makes sense that, since none of the Enhancement metals were supposed to be known, Chromium and Nicrosil would be near the top of the 'Crap About Allomancy TLR Kept From Us' list.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:32:45 AM by Turbolinux999 »

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:52 PM »
That would make sense.  If Yoman knew then someone else knew and if someone else knew then there'd have been Pulsers and Sliders all over ""unofficially"".

I suppose that makes it a toss up between Cadmium/Bendalloy and Chromium/Nicrosil... I still think that my logic is sound when it comes to that though, no one outside of the Steel Ministry, or possibly just the Inquisitors, was supposed to know of Aluminium's existence.  From there it makes sense that, since none of the Enhancement metals were supposed to be known, Chromium and Nicrosil would be near the top of the 'shirt about Allomancy TLR kept from us' list.

I, at least, interpret Sazed's comment as referring to Cadmium/Chromium, with the corresponding alloys implied by the existence of the base metals.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 01:34:14 AM »
I, at least, interpret Sazed's comment as referring to Cadmium/Chromium, with the corresponding alloys implied by the existence of the base metals.

That is what I had thought for a while, but, obviously, I changed my mind on that.  Up until now I had never considered what Ookla said... It lends new credibility to the idea...
I had eventually figured that because Yoman mentioned that there were 16 metals that he knew which one it was and Sazed took that into account.  I think that my second assumption is wrong.

In light of what Ookla said, I agree.