Author Topic: Official Typos Thread -- All of Brandon's books  (Read 50868 times)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official Typos Thread -- All of Brandon's books
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2010, 01:15:18 AM »
fueled is the American spelling, fuelled the UK spelling. Are you in the UK? I haven't checked the UK editions for spelling errors at all.

Australia, but I bought US version. I actually didn't know that. You do learn something new everyday.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Golden Dragon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2010, 04:29:12 AM »
The Way of Kings HC
486.15  "Try it, Kaladin thought, meeting Gaz's eyes."

Gaz only has one eye.

Niftium

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
The Way of Kings HC

Gaz only has one eye.

Perhaps Gaz borrowed Uno's eyepatch?   ;)

Golden Dragon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »
The Way of Kings HC

Gaz only has one eye.

Perhaps Gaz borrowed Uno's eyepatch?   ;)

Yeah, like Uno would let that happen.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
Uno and Gaz are twin brothers, born in different universes.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2010, 07:12:18 AM »
I'll check tomorrow to see how many typos are here that weren't on Stormblessed or 17thShard. [EDIT: 13 more errors. Dang!]

Also, if anyone has Wheel of Time typos, those should be posted at Dragonmount or Theoryland.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:26:35 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

KZK

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2010, 06:39:10 AM »
The Typo's forum goes down right before ToM is released, and stays down for a month and a half.  This is a slightly expanded version of a post I made to Leigh Butler's Spoiler Thread on Nov. 4th.  I haven't finished my slow re-read, so I expect to find A few more whenever I get a round tuit.  I haven't posted these to other threads on other forums (& I'm not going to).

Their are so many typo's in this book, that I think TOR's existing proofreaders (the ones who did ToM anyway) should be fired.

-----------

Towers of Midnight, Hardcover, 1st Edition, TOR

Known / Suspected Errata / Typos:

Prologue:   Probably not Errata, but Graendal thinks "Dark One" instead of "great lord" a few times.

Chapter  5: Extra Word: Page 104: "rug nearly filled nearly the", should be either  "rug filled nearly the" Or "rug nearly filled the".

Chapter  5: Typo: Page 108: "Give this" should probably be "Given this".

Chapter  5: Wrong Word: Page 109: "Gawyn down here".  Should be "Gawyn up here".

Chapter  8: Extra Word: page 150: "it had had enough".  Should be "it had enough".

Chapter 15: Typo: Page 217: "Her food" Should be "Her foot".

Chapter 19: Anachronism / Out of place Jargon / Terminology: "Technology".  "Technology" is not a term that would be used in WoT.
http://dposey.no-ip.com/IdealSeek/IdealSeek.cgi?q=technology

Chapter 19: Typo: Page 296: "Tom".  Should be "Thom".

Chapter 25: Missing Word: Page 404: "He cut off as [] saw Rand." Should be "He cut off as [he] saw Rand."

Chapter 27: Typo: Page 426: "I h ave".  Should be: "I have" OR "I've".

Chapter 29: Slight Errata: Page 481: IIRC Sunlight does not shine in T'A'R, although this scene can very easily be considered special circumstances.

Chapter 31: Typo: Page 492: "consider woman who".  Should be: "consider women who".

Chapter 32: Probable Errata: Ituralde thinks/knows the term "Deathgates".  AFAICT It doesn't seem like he should know this term, unless his ashaman knew how to do this, which seems unlikely (not knowing who which ashaman he controlled, etc.).

Chapter 33: Missing Word: Page 511: "if I [] become". Should Probably be: "if I['ve] become" OR "if I have become".

Chapter 33: Extra Word: Page 515 "working for straight" Should likely be: "working straight".

Chapter 34: Missing Word: Page 528: "None of the [] Would".  Probably "None of the[m] Would".

Chapter 36: Flipped Words: Page 558: "will now not reject".  Probably should be: "will not now reject".

-----

Chapter 37: Major Continuity Error: Pages 571,589: The Text in Towers of Midnight suggest that Carlinya is dead.  This Directly contradicts Fires of Heaven: TFOH: 26, Sallie Daera, 317: "a raven floating beside her dark hair; more a drawing of the bird than the bird itself. She thought it was a tattoo...".  Min has a viewing of Carlinya becoming Property of the Empress/Seanchan, and this has not happened in the Books (so far).  So: Either 1. witnesses are mistaken about seeing Carlinya die,  2. There are huge as-yet-unforseen Balefire effects, or 3. an Error that will need to rectified in future printings.

-----

Chapter 37: Possible Errata: Pages 571-572.  The Text says Amys disappears: "Fade away".  But then the next page she is still there.  She can't have left the dreamspiked area.  She can't have awoken (she wouldn't know of the problem).  Nobody else "fades away" or the like when they fail to leave the dreamspiked area.

Chapter 37: Missing Word: Page 574: "Position he [] been".  Should be: "Position he['d] been" OR "Position he [had] been".

Chapter 38: Pages 591-2: This might not be an error, but Egwene's thoughts about the war of the shadow and Messana's life are somewhat wrong.  We know from the BBoBA & various snippets that the war of power was not some short brutal affair like Egwene implies, but rather a long drawn out affair that lasted over a hundred years, slowly building momentum to crescendo.

Chapter 40: Page 613: Probably not an error, but Perrin never quenches his Hammer.  This is odd because he is mostly unaware of the special weaves being incorporated into the metal & it is an important part of setting the crystalline structure of the metal & it's various properties.  (Not suggesting that quenching is required of power wrot items, but that Perrin acts out of character for a blacksmith.)

Chapter 42: Wrong Name: Page 639: "Galad said."  Should be "Gawyn said.".

Chapter 45: Wrong Name: Page 669: "Still, Egwene would".  Should be: "Still, Elayne would".

Chapter 45: Page 675: Not an error, but Aviendha's thoughts seemingly imply that people lived in Rhuidean before rand came along, which IIRC, only happened after rand.

Chapter 50: Missing Word: Page 743: "west of [] realm". Should be: "west of [the] realm".

Chapter 52: Typo: Page 762: "started, the stepped".  Should be: "started, then stepped".

Chapter 53: Missing Word: Page 777: "gateway [] more".  Should be: "gateway [was] more".

Chapter 53: Extra Word: Page 784: "It was set up a little too high up to feel natural."  Could be: "It was set a little too high up to feel natural." OR "It was set up a little too high to feel natural."

Chapter 53: Wrong Word: Page 787: "straps crossed the".  Seems like this should be: "straps across the".

Chapter 56: Typo: Page 819: "black-coated man stood".  Should be: "black-coated men stood".

Chapter 57: Missing Word: Page 823: "She [] been too".  Should be: "She['d] been too" OR "She [had] been too".

Epilogue: Minor Errata: Page 831: Perrin see's Sunlight in T'A'R.  IIRC, There is no Sunlight in T'A'R.

Epilogue: Extra Word: Page 839: "Borderlands would couldn't have".  Possibly: "borderlands wouldn't have" OR "borderlands couldn't have".  Also is "Borderlands" supposed to be capitalized?

---
Mat's Whole Timeline is somewhat screwy (see Dragonmount Typos thread).  Birgitte + Sword is iffy.  Grady & Neald know how to tie off open gateways (see KoD) which makes their inabilities in tGS+ToM weird.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:59:12 AM by KZK »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2010, 07:03:14 AM »
KZK, please check the Dragonmount & Theoryland threads and post your stuff there if it hasn't been posted there before. Maria checks those threads and she is the one who handles fixing typos/errors in the Wheel of Time books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
Chapter 37: Major Continuity Error: Pages 571,589: The Text in Towers of Midnight suggest that Carlinya is dead.  This Directly contradicts Fires of Heaven: TFOH: 26, Sallie Daera, 317: "a raven floating beside her dark hair; more a drawing of the bird than the bird itself. She thought it was a tattoo...".  Min has a viewing of Carlinya becoming Property of the Empress/Seanchan, and this has not happened in the Books (so far).  So: Either 1. witnesses are mistaken about seeing Carlinya die,  2. There are huge as-yet-unforseen Balefire effects, or 3. an Error that will need to rectified in future printings.

The raven is also a symbol for the Dark One and death.  Min wasn't sure what the viewing meant, so she could have just been prophesying Carlinya's death instead. 
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

KZK

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
Quote from: Peter Ahlstrom
KZK, please check the Dragonmount & Theoryland threads and post your stuff there if it hasn't been posted there before. Maria checks those threads and she is the one who handles fixing typos/errors in the Wheel of Time books.

I'm not in the habit of making new accounts for every Bloody site on the internet.  Someone else can.  Sorry.  (I didn't see it there a few weeks ago when I was looking).

Chapter 37: Major Continuity Error: Pages 571,589: Carlinya.

The raven is also a symbol for the Dark One and death.  Min wasn't sure what the viewing meant, so she could have just been prophesying Carlinya's death instead. 

Quite an elaborite way a saying she is going to die.  For your theory to be true we would have to believe that carlinya is in some way connected to the Dark One, which we have no evidence for.  Min doesn't know what a Raven tatoo is, but we the readers do.  It means property of the Empress.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »
I'm not in the habit of making new accounts for every Bloody site on the internet.  Someone else can.  Sorry.
Point taken. I passed them to Maria.

Endra kin'Fox

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
First page of Chapter 55, Towers of Midnight (p. 805 hardback edition). First sentence of the fourth paragraph, "Heart pounding, Mat charged after Mat and Noal."
Mat surely didn't charge after Mat. :P

*Edit* Just read Peter's post about posting WoT errors elsewhere. I will leave this up just in case but post on other's as well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:12:15 PM by Endra kin'Fox »
"Show me your soul Priest, and I'll gladly show you mine." -Aias

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2011, 06:04:21 PM »
Alcatraz vs. the Shattered Lens, p. 182
"invading Vandal hoards" should be "hordes"

Saeyar

• Level 1
  • The only absolute and irrefutable fact is death.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
Hi everyone, first time posting here.

This isn't a typo as much as an unfortunate coincidence of my language and I'm pretty sure Brandon Sanderson doesn't know about it. "Kolo" [Elantris] or "Koloss" [Mistborn] translates to... well, the rear aspect in Cypriot, which is a dialect of the Greek language. The word doesn't exist in Greek, only in Cypriot.

It was kind of jarring to come across this not once but multiple times across 4 books. Still it never failed to make me smile every time I read it! ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:50:12 PM by Saeyar »

art by Dixon Leavitt

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
Hi everyone, first time posting here.

This isn't a typo as much as an unfortunate coincidence of my language and I'm pretty sure Brandon Sanderson doesn't know about it. "Kolo" [Elantris] or "Koloss" [Mistborn] translates to... well, the rear aspect in Cypriot, which is a dialect of the Greek language. The word doesn't exist in Greek, only in Cypriot.

It was kind of jarring to come across this not once but multiple times across 4 books. Still it never failed to make me smile every time I read it! ;D

There is no short combination of syllables which have not sounded like a dirty word in at least one language, somewhere.  Humans are just too creative to have passed any up.
Nature hates being reified.