Author Topic: Official Typos Thread -- All of Brandon's books  (Read 51030 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Official Typos Thread -- All of Brandon's books
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
Actually, it has 2 according to Merriam-Webster. Though some publishing companies' style guides use one instead.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »
While not officially a typo, one thing in particular disturbed me in the Mistborn series:  My nick-name --and her father's-- for my ex wife is Reen.  It was disturbing to continually see the villanous but distinctly male brother of Vin is named Reen.  Every time I read that it was like being poked with a sharp spoon.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2010, 08:08:02 PM »
From the Way of Kings preview on Tor.com:

At the start of chapter 2, page 8 of 13, Kaladin's name is spelled "Kladin". I had the briefest twinge of confusion, wondering if this was a new person, or if Kaladin was using a different name.

There were a few others, usually where a word would be split in two, like "off ended". The "Kladin" was the one that stuck out to me the most though.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »
There's a drop cap there in the book. The a is there...it just got lost in the preview.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2010, 01:20:29 AM »
At the beginning of chapter 3 in the quoted section of Way of Kings. Brandon used 4th. In chapter 1 and 2 he used fifth and second. The consistency between abbreviation is off.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2010, 05:09:40 AM »
Brandon did that on purpose. I know, I marked it as a mistake too. And so did the copyeditor.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
Brandon did that on purpose. I know, I marked it as a mistake too. And so did the copyeditor.

Aww fudge I thought I was helpful. Everything else I had found was already reported. Any significance behind the purposeful inconsistency? Is 4th of Tanates a holiday or major event? Lol
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »
There's a very simple explanation...a sort of metatextual one. I could say but maybe someone else will figure it out.

But I will say that the dates were one of the very last things changed in the book, between the first and second pass galleys. Anyone who has the ABM can compare the differences.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2010, 03:50:26 AM »
I have a question about the prologue.  Is the plural of Shardplate Shardeplate? Or is it Shardplates?
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2010, 05:03:15 AM »
Thanks for the tip Peter!  *snip* I was looking at it and realized I was thinking of Dalinar.  I feel stupid now.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:58:36 AM by firstGoldenRing »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
I have a question about the prologue.  Is the plural of Shardplate Shardeplate? Or is it Shardplates?

From what I remember they never pluralize it that way they just said "shards."
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

kari-no-sugata

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
I was working on a post about characters from Way of Kings and noticed something a bit confusing. I'm not saying it's a "typo" or something but I thought it could be worth raising.

In the Prologue we have the quote:
Likely in a way that ended with people in all countries—from distant Thaylenah to towering Jah Keved—speaking Alethi to their children.

This says that Jah Keved is a "country".

In chapter 3, we have:
Shallan nodded gratefully, still clutching her drawing pad. Out in the city, there were people everywhere. Some  wore familiar clothing—trousers and shirts that laced up the front for the men, skirts and colorful blouses for the women. Those could have been from her homeland, Jah Keved. But Kharbranth was a free city. A small, politically fragile city-state, it held little territory but had docks open to all ships that passed, and it asked no questions about nationality or status. People flowed to it.

I'd normally take "homeland" to mean country, but it can also refer to smaller regions. Anyway, this against suggests that Jah Keved is a country, or some region within a country.

Later in chapter 3:
She stepped off the gangplank into the furious activity of the docks, messengers running this way and that, women
in red coats tracking cargos on ledgers. Kharbranth was a Vorin city, like Alethkar and like Shallan's own Jah Keved.

Which implies that Jah Keved is a city. Alethkar certainly seems to be the capital city of the Alethi kingdom.

Later in chapter 3:
Shallan grinned—she hadn't expected being out on her own to be so liberating. Her brothers had worried that she'd be frightened. They saw her as timid because she didn't like to argue and remained quiet when large groups were talking. And perhaps she was timid—being away from Vedenar was daunting. But it was also wonderful. She'd filled three sketchbooks with pictures of the creatures and people she'd seen, and while her worry over her house's finances was a perpetual cloud, it was balanced by the sheer delight of experience.

And:
She raised her freehand in a sign of need, and sure enough, a masterservant in a crisp white shirt and black trousers hurried over to her. “Brightness?” he asked, speaking her native Veden, likely because of the color of her hair.

So Veden is her language and she can also be described as being from Vedenar. So what's the relationship between Jah Keved and Vedenar...? It doesn't seem likely that Vedenar is part of Jah Keved - rather the opposite, that Jah Keved is a city in Vedenar, whatever that is.

It's a bit confusing. Given the world setup, having many city-states of various kinds, like Monaco in France for example, doesn't seem so unlikely. I can imagine a bunch of isolated cities, some loosely grouped into countries. So is Jah Keved a city that is also a country, with estates around the city? Is Vedenar a continent, or some similarly large region, with a shared language and tendency for red hair (also seen in chapter 2), with many separate countries one of which is Jah Keved? This mixing of Shallan being from both Vedenar and Jah Keved is a bit confusing at this stage in the book.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »
Kharbranth is a city-state. Alethkar and Jah Keved are countries. I see that the parallelism in the "Vorin city" sentence is imprecise.

Kholinar is the capital of Alethkar, and Vedenar is the capital of Jah Keved. Shallan started her sea voyage from Vedenar. However her family estates are not particularly near Vedenar. So the "away from Vedenar" line may be a mistake.

I'll ask Brandon about both of those lines. We changed something in the book yesterday or the day before, so it MAY be possible to change something now. But if not (it's really late now), there will definitely be things fixed in the paperback.

OK, I talked to Brandon. We'll try to get these lines fixed to "Vorin kingdom" and "away from Jah Keved"--but that ship may have sailed.

Unfortunately, there are going to be mistakes that slip through. I'm going to push for twice as much time to proofread the next book as I got for this one. =\
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:55:15 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »

kari-no-sugata

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Peter. Hopefully it's not too late.

And thanks for the clarifications. I'm a bit surprised that Vedenar is a city and Veden a language, though I guess there's a number of possibilities to explain that.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »
The people who live in Jah Keved are the Vedens. Kind of like people who live in Saudi Arabia are Arabs. ...Sort of. I don't know what the Jah means, but Brandon has linguistic reasons for everything.