Author Topic: Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Showdown  (Read 7342 times)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Showdown
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 03:24:27 AM »
While Sanderson's religion is part of who he is, and thus influences what he writes, he as said multiple times that he is not trying to export his theology in whole or in part.  As such, I don't consider Mormon Doctrine enough evidence for Elantrians not having significant amounts of trace metals in their bodies as humans do.

He doesn't have to export his theology onto anyone to use ideas that he's got from doctrine. I doubt you could find one Mormon out there that has read Elantris and didn't think about some of the doctrine on translated beings.

I'd also like to note that Vin felt TLR's steelpush all over her body, instead of just her stomach.  As to how it matters, Raoden is in the middle of drawing an Aon when TLR suddenly pushes his arm, BAM Aon is ruined.

I just reread the battle and its never said that she couldn't move her arms, etc. Only that it felt like the metal in her stomach was going to be ripped out. I think think its a moot point though. Elantrians don't have red blood, which means there is no iron in their blood.

Also, by your reasoning the Lord Ruler would just start a fight by pushing on the blood of whoever he was fighting. They can't move, he wins. It makes for a very boring, and short discussion.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2009, 03:32:40 AM »
Elements in the Human Body

We have more calcium in our bodies than any other metals combined, so giving a generous percentage we are still under 2.5% (1/40) metal. We never see any alkali (or alkaline earth) metals being pushed that I can remember in the books, so I'd assume that they're not included in pushing or pulling. If they were, Vin (or TLR, for that matter) would be burning duralumin to pull vital bones from peoples' bodies on a regular basis.

I just reread the battle and its never said that she couldn't move her arms, etc. Only that it felt like the metal in her stomach was going to be ripped out. I think think its a moot point though. Elantrians don't have red blood, which means there is no iron in their blood.
Whether or not the Elantrians have no iron in their blood is a non-issue. There are only 3-4 grams in the average adult body at any given time, which is a very small amount. If TLR pushed Vin using the iron and copper that was in her body naturally, he'd be pushing less than a half of a percent of her body weight. Even with duralumin and his Feruchemical tricks, I don't see this being a viable combat technique in any situation. If anything, he'd end up blasting all of the Allomantically active metals out of his opponent's body. Painful, but not an instagib for most of these characters. If the metals, against all odds, stay in their body, think of the resistance of a very light breeze.

Speaking of instagib, in the Unreal series teleporters can be used to kill people, which makes me wonder about Elantrians' capability in this regard....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:37:07 AM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2009, 05:23:11 AM »
Aon infused armour will probably come out in the war to come so if mistborn are allowed there metals you have3 to give the elantrians tools and stuff they would take to battels...not to mention the monks have tattoos which are filled with power so why would elantrians not use this
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz