Author Topic: Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Showdown  (Read 7338 times)

Plasman

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Brandon Sanderson Showdown
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »
WARNING! New Challenger Approaching!

Enter Alcatraz Smedry!
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »
Enter Alcatraz Smedry!

And the tide of the duels change. Alcatraz would win....Leavenworth would too, though, so...yeah....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Technomancer

• Level 2
  • More powerful than and yet as harmless as I appear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 03:14:45 AM »
Round 1:

Vin vs. Raoden

Round 2:

Kelsier vs. Dilaf

Round 3:

Sazed vs. Susebron

Round 4:

Vasher vs. The Lord Ruler

Round 5:

Spook vs. Vivena

Round 6:

Denth vs. Marsh

winners of each continue on to next round like so:

Round 7:

winner of Round1 vs. Round 2

Round 8:

R3 vs. R4

Round 9:

R5 vs. R6

and continues with:

Round 10:

R7 vs. R8

and finally

Round 10:

R10 vs. R9

I expect every battle, and show your work. ;P

Let the battle begin.
Round 1: Vin vs. Raoden:
Vin wins she's known for being agile and adaptable.  Raoden's Aons are good but I'd love to see him fight THIRTEEN Steel Inquistors, one of which being Marsh and do as well as Vin did.  Vin will find a way.

Round 2:
Kell puts more holes in Dilaf than swiss cheese.

Round 3: Saze vs. Seb
The ONLY way Sazed is going to beat Susebron is to tap all his speed and strength at once, land a good hit before the God King can speak.  God King wins.

Round 4: Vasher vs. Rashek
A good fight here but Vasher obviously knew something about Awakening metal.  He awakens Rashek's Ferchemical stores.  The Lord Ruler's Atium stores rip themseles out of his arms and Rashek dies of old age.

Round 5: Spook vs. Vivenna:
Spook is better trained and his tin will save him from attacks by Awakened objects.

Round 6: Marsh vs. Denth
Marsh of course :D

Round 7: Keliser vs. Vin:
Vin knows more about Allomancy than Kell and is more skilled Vin wins.

Round 8: Vasher vs. God King:

Vasher owns with his experience and power.  Suseborn just is too new at this.

Round 9: Spook vs. Marsh
Marsh.

Round 10: Vin vs. Vasher
Vasher's about to get Nightblood though the chest.

Final Vin vs. Marsh:
Marsh doesn't have twelve Inquistors with him to soften Vin up this time.

Winner: Vin

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »
How is it that people put their favorites as the winners and can't do this with any sense of objectivity? same in the mistborn vs. elatarians thread...i prefer the Mistborn series but an all out war on Elantrain ground (because there power is useless if they aren't) the Elantrians win.
1. Elantrians aren't human they are faster stronger and more agile
2. Aons are very versatile and take little time to draw even at human speed and they aren't human
3. Tactics Aons can be invoked before a fight

This all comes back to people underestimating Elantrians meaning Raoden can kick all but maybe Vin and maybe Rashek and Marsh's butt and i say maybe because it would be EXTREMELY close
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 05:09:44 AM »
hey little wilson is on ur side. he set raoden to win the whole thing.
i think the problem is that we've had WAY less experience with aons in combat than allomancy. for me at least, it is hard to imagine exactly what Raoden would do in these fights. i do have to argue the "little time to draw" point you made though.  while a few of the Aons are pretty straight forward, most are more intricate. personally, i would take at least 30 seconds to draw most of them... and then u have to draw the modifiers, all of this without messing up. i don't know. that's kinda my reasoning for not going with raoden.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 06:21:06 AM »
First, I personally think the pairs could've been done a little better (to make it more equal with the battles. Give some of the characters a bit more of a chance, because seriously--Denth vs Marsh? Is there ANY question about the result of that? Everyone has put Marsh winning that with NO contest). I would do it more like this:

Round 1: Spook vs Vivenna (with about 3 years to learn Awakening a little more)

Round 2: Sazed vs Dilaf

Round 3: Vasher vs Marsh

Round 4: Vin vs Raoden (with 3-4 years of practice)

Round 5: Denth vs Kelsier

Round 6: The Lord Ruler vs Susebron

And the rest the same....I think this makes from here to the end a little more even too, so the new challenger doesn't all of a sudden have an easy battle. The easiest one would be Sazed/Dilaf vs Spook/Viv.

Even then, I still think Raoden would win. But that's just me.

As for Plas's comment about time. I don't think that really applies to Raoden. He's been practicing Aons practically his whole life, and now that he's in Elantris, he's practicing them even more. When someone practices THAT much drawing, they can get FAST. Amazingly fast. And that's pretty much the impression I got with Raoden. He can whip out those Aons.

Give him more time, and he'll get faster. And better. Less mistakes. More modifications.

And also, let me add that when I initially saw this showdown, I thought Vin would take the prize. I had no doubt, because the first fight I gave easily to Vin (that's what happens when you take a near-end-of-HoA Vin and put her agaisnt an end-of-Elantris Raoden, who hasn't been using the Aons with power behind them for even a week by the end of the book). All the fights after that are practially gimme's to Vin. Kelsier? Easy beat. Rashek? We saw the end of that. And Marsh? She'd take him down...

And then I looked back at the first fight and realized how unfair I was being to Raoden. It's only right to give him more time to practice and get better if I'm going to take Vin when she's had 3-4 years of practice. If I want to do them on equal footing as they are in the books, though....Let's take Vin just before the first Venture ball in FE. I think that would be a bit more fair. Maybe. Still, Vin would've had more time to practice though...

Anyway, those are just my thoughts....I've probably said too much. Oh well....

Oh, and Plas, I'm actually a 'she'...Not that it really matters, but, yeah.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 06:35:13 AM »
I've been seriously disappointed with the posts in this thread. Not one of them has had someone win by talking and convincing the other person to join their side. Or has provided an in-character reason for any of the pairs to be fighting in the first place.

Creativity, people!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 07:59:04 AM »
Round 1: Vin has to reach into her money pouch and bring a coin up to in between her center of mass and Raoden's head.  Raoden has to draw a complicated symbol, the result of which might not be able to take down a Pewter burning Vin in one hit.  Even giving Raoden time to practice, I give this to Vin.

Round 2: I very much doubt that Dilaf is tougher than an Inquisitor.  Dilaf makes a good showing, but loses to the Survivor.

Round 3: Too dependent on terrain and the status of Sazed's metalminds, but the fight would probably go to Susebron more often then not.  However, I see this devolving into a philosophical discussion, Suse strikes me as the kind to try to diffuse violence with talk which Saze will eagerly accept.  Sazed takes this due to his better education.

Round 4: This depends entirely on Nightblood and TLR's reaction to it.  I'm going to give this to Vasher, because I don't think that TLR can resist Nightbloold.

Round 5: If Spook can burn Pewter, then Viv loses.  If he can't, then it's a contest.  I think that Spook would still win most of the time even without Pewter, simply because he has more real fighting experience.

Round 6: A good swordsman vs TLR-lite?  Sorry Denth, Marsh takes this.

Round 7: Vin vs Kelsier.  A friendly sparring match that ends when Kelsier calls it and declares Vin to have surpassed him, that she is possibly the finest Allomancer he's ever seen, and that he couldn't be more proud of her.  Vin wins.

Round 8: Sazed vs Vasher.  I don't think Nightblood will be getting to Sazed, and with Feruchemy Vasher is outclassed in all the physical catagories.  I see Sazed getting another win.

Round 9: Spook vs Marsh.  Marsh takes Spook apart.  If Marsh is himself, then this is only figurative.

Round 10: Vin vs Sazed.  Another friendly sparring match.  I can't see Sazed beating Vin in any kind of physical fight.  They're too much on the same side for any other kind of fight though. 

Round 11: Vin vs Marsh.  Either a fight to the death or a friendly sparring match, depending on who's at the steering wheel.  Without 12(!) other Inquisitors to back him up though, Marsh is going down either way.

These types of analysis are fun, I might run them through a different tournament structure later.

Technomancer

• Level 2
  • More powerful than and yet as harmless as I appear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
How is it that people put their favorites as the winners and can't do this with any sense of objectivity? same in the mistborn vs. elatarians thread...i prefer the Mistborn series but an all out war on Elantrain ground (because there power is useless if they aren't) the Elantrians win.
1. Elantrians aren't human they are faster stronger and more agile
2. Aons are very versatile and take little time to draw even at human speed and they aren't human
3. Tactics Aons can be invoked before a fight

This all comes back to people underestimating Elantrians meaning Raoden can kick all but maybe Vin and maybe Rashek and Marsh's butt and i say maybe because it would be EXTREMELY close
Elantrans are faster and stronger than normal humans but so is anyone burning pewter.  Not to mention Vin may hav Electrium or Atium.  Raoden could take most people in this tourney up to Kelsier and Sazed he'd breeze through the Awakers and Spook, he's beaten Dilaf but Vin has come through in tighter spots than this.  Rashek and Marsh are just beasts.  Raoden just got a rotten first pairing.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
I've been seriously disappointed with the posts in this thread. Not one of them has had someone win by talking and convincing the other person to join their side. Or has provided an in-character reason for any of the pairs to be fighting in the first place.

Creativity, people!

Hoid and Adonalsium walked into a bar. "You know what would be cool?" Adonalsium asked.

"Gladatorial combat!"

"... That's not what I was going to say, but, um, sure."

So then they rounded up everyone and forced them to duel to the death.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
Elantrans are faster and stronger than normal humans but so is anyone burning pewter.  Not to mention Vin may hav Electrium or Atium.  Raoden could take most people in this tourney up to Kelsier and Sazed he'd breeze through the Awakers and Spook, he's beaten Dilaf but Vin has come through in tighter spots than this.  Rashek and Marsh are just beasts.  Raoden just got a rotten first pairing.

I think it's safe to say that Raoden would kick Shan's butt. Without even taking one little knick. Vin fought Shan at about the same place in learning (probably further along, because you gotta remember that Vin had been training with Kell for pretty much the last year, and Raoden had just BARELY gotten the Dor hooked back up with Elantris) that Raoden was by the end of Elantris. THIS is why I think if it was a fair fight--meaning Vin and Raoden had the SAME amount of time to prepare--Raoden would win. It would be close, but ultimately, he would win.

Ookla, I'm putting something together that will hopefully satisfy your creativity question....That is if Chaos's didn't (I personally think Chaos' is funny, and I was actually considering throwing Hoid in to my scenario, but then I decided not to, and now I really can't because Chaos beat me to it...argh). So yes. More creativity is forthcoming....

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 10:51:02 PM »
Wilson, a question.  If Raoden can draw these complicated symbols in the air fast enough to be relevant in combat because of practice, why doesn't Vin get the same benefit for her coin throwing?  No doubt, an Elantrian is a huge threat if they have time to draw their Aons, but a Coinshot's coins are way to fast.  Against a mistborn who has the benefit of pewter as well?  No, I'd say that Shan has pretty good chances against Raoden, even if she would lose more often then not.

Raoden would mulch the Awakeners (including Susebron probably) and Spook, and could probably hold his own against Kel or Saze, but against Marsh, TLR, or Vin he would go down hard.  Remember, Vin probably won't be standing still.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 12:10:44 AM »
An Elantrian (Elantrisian?) can take a beating before dying, and they could draw Vin into the bottom of the ocean or out into space in less than a minute.

Vasher wins as long as he has Nightblood though. Vasher sits in a corner hiding as a Grey, his opponent touches Nightblood (sheathless) and dies. The end. :D
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 12:19:01 AM »
An Elantrian (Elantrisian?) can take a beating before dying, and they could draw Vin into the bottom of the ocean or out into space in less than a minute.

And in the time it takes to draw that extremely complex Aon, Vin has put a coin through his head.  Or hit him hard enough to interrupt his drawing.

Vasher wins as long as he has Nightblood though. Vasher sits in a corner hiding as a Grey, his opponent touches Nightblood (sheathless) and dies. The end. :D

Not quite.  A number of characters in this tourney are too good for Nightblood's aura of attraction to work on them.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »
And in the time it takes to draw that extremely complex Aon, Vin has put a coin through his head.  Or hit him hard enough to interrupt his drawing.

Not quite.  A number of characters in this tourney are too good for Nightblood's aura of attraction to work on them.
As a sniper firing at victims who are unaware of her presence, Vin would indeed win (Not that I would apply the term sniping to the spray and pray tactics Mistborn employ with their coins. We have yet to hear of an Allomancer that is able to push a single coin into a person in battle. Aiming from your midsection is very difficult.). If the Elantrian is expecting any kind of trouble, you can bet that they have an impenetrable force field around them, allowing them any time they need to draw complex Aons. If they don't expect it, they can likely whip something simple out to protect them while they protect themselves more fully and move on from there.

Nightblood doesn't need to attract anyone with the aura. All of these characters are curious individuals and would at least touch a sword left stuck into the ground with nobody around that they can see. Seeing as how most of them only have one soul, they die immediately. Denth wouldn't fall for the Nightblood ploy because he knows all about the sword, but we saw how that battle went down already.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie