Author Topic: Warbreaker Error?  (Read 2374 times)

necronos

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Warbreaker Error?
« on: June 22, 2009, 05:27:50 AM »
I just got my copy of hardback on Saturday (June 20th) and this is my first reading of Warbreaker, so maybe I'm the one in error BUT I did notice this:

Lightsong stared at the painting.
Red upon red, shades so subtle that the painter must have been of the First Heightening at least.
- Chapter 26, page 267 (page 268 on the PDF on Brandons site)

Should this be Third Heightening? From what I'm aware (and from what the nifty Ars Arcanum at the back of the book says), the First Heightening grants a person Aura Recognition while it is the Third Heightening that grants a person Perfect Color Recognition.

Is this just Lightsong not knowing what Heightening grants a person which powers, or is it a copy error?
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker Error?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »
The same thing happened in the well of ascension. i don't remember the exact quote ( its been a while since i read it ) but vin asks clubs the try to feel the well. in book one and the rest of book two clubs is a smoker not a seeker i.e. he can hide allomatical pulses not find them

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »
Also--the order/ages of the children in the royal Idris family is mixed up (I think).

Pg 25  "Siri ... was the youngest.  Fafen the daughter just older than Siri ... above Fafen was Ridger...and then there was Vivenna."

Pg 448-449 (Siri talking) "Ridger was right above me...then there was Fafen...after Fafen, there's ... Vivenna."

I noticed a few more things but don't remember right now :D.

Adolla

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I noticed in one chapter Mercystars colors were orange and gold in the next she's wearing  yellow.  Small mistakes happen.  *shugs*

WorkerOne

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »
Something about Warbreaker has been bothering me, in the "It doesn't really matter, but I need to tell someone, otherwise I might explode" kind of way. This thread looks like a place where it might fit in, so I'll try here:

One mechanic in Warbreaker is how Breath transfer is all or nothing. The characters themselves make a large number of references to this throughout the book. However, there appears to be a work around, in that if a character puts some (not all) of their breaths into an object, then give away his or her breaths, the character can still reclaim the breath in the object. This allows them to give away a fraction of their total breath, rather than all of it. This does take place in the book, but the way the characters talk, it doesn't feel like they are aware of this possibility.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:14 AM »
Early on, all the information comes from Denth and he has reasons to lie about it.  Later, Vasher starts teaching a bit, but this is hardly something that is usually important and there's never a reason for him to bring it up.  There are no other major characters that are Awakeners that I remember, and this strikes me as a somewhat obscure bit of knowledge that non-Awakeners would usually not know.  There's really just no reason at any point for any character who does know about this to mention it.  At the end of the book, though, Vasher and Vivenna are described as having split the breaths that had been stored in a single object, which would have required deliberate use of this workaround.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:41:20 AM »
And what about Clod? Was the 'look of determination' on his face from when he saved Vivenna ever explained?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:16:47 AM »
Wait for the sequel.

(The annotations answer a lot of questions though.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:52:06 AM »
I think (and this is all theorizing) that Clod is Arsteel(thus his amazing sword abilities), which means he was returned. I think that maybe he saw some bit of returned blood in Vivienna, and so he was determined to fulfill his command and protect her.

But this is all a guess.

EDIT-
When can we expect the annotations+ebook? I know that Brandon Sanderson was planning to publish the annotations with the book at some time, and I was just wondering a time frame.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 04:08:57 AM »
Ookla: So there is a sequel for sure/in the works? I hadn't heard that. Is there any kind of a timeframe for that? Any other books planned in the Warbreaker world? My cousin wants a prequel.  ;D

Zas678: Yeah, my pet theory was that Clod was Arsteel too. And you make a good point, his uniqueness could be the fact that he's a Returned Lifeless.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 05:46:27 AM »
There was also a point toward the end where vivenna is in the court looking for siri (just after she's been locked up and is "pregnant") when vasher is sitting there talking to her, and Lightsong is randomly there in their conversation. Pretty sure it was supposed to say Vasher, but I found it quite amusing (and in character) that lightsong just randomly pops up for one sentence.

I also thought that clod was arsteel, but didn't think about the implications of him being returned.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 08:04:32 PM »
I believe Brandon plans his writing schedule in the next few years to be: Stormlight Archive, Stormlight Archive, Something Else, Stormlight Archive, Stormlight Archive, Something Else. Etc. That's one book per year (of course Wheel of Time will be concurrent for the next two years), so the earliest Brandon will put out Nightblood is 2012. He might write the sequel to Elantris first, but he may want that to come out in 2015 for Elantris's 10-year anniversary. Of course, he may want to write something else instead like The Silence Divine to come out in 2012, meaning Nightblood might not come until 2018. However, I think right now that 2012 is the most likely date until something changes. (He may also be able to write faster once Wheel of Time is done, but that extra time may go to non-adult projects like Scribbler. He'll probably stick to one Brandon Sanderson adult fantasy book per year.)

Of course, if he releases Nightblood chapter by chapter in draft form the same way he released Warbreaker, then you will get to see it sooner. He mentioned before that he was planning to do that, but that was even before the WoT news broke and things may very well have changed since then.

As for the special edition ebook & annotations, Tor is working on it and last I heard they wanted to release it "soon." The annotations won't start going up on Brandon's website for months yet, since the Hero of Ages annotations just started.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!