Author Topic: Questions to pester Brandon with?  (Read 1877 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Questions to pester Brandon with?
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:28:15 AM »
Ok, as has been mentioned, Brandon is doing a signing tomorrow in Idaho Falls, which happens to be my home town. I went out to Barnes and Noble tonight and noticed a sign that said it started at 1:30, and I think Brandon Mentioned on his blog that it was going until 3:30. I mention this for two reasons:

1) Anyone wanting to meet up, I'm good with that. We can pester Brandon together. PM me or something. Or just post here.

2) Anyone who has any particular questions you want me to pester Brandon with, I'll get answers for you. Even if it's RAFO. But still, I will attempt. So post any questions you may have, ridiculous or not (Yes, I will ask the ridiculous ones, though it might be difficult to find a way to work them into the conversation).
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
Re: Questions to pester Brandon with?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »
If anyone knows the answer to my question feel free to tell me here, I'd rather not bother Brandon through Andrew if the answer is somewhere I can read for myself but my question is:

How do you develop the names in your books? Do you have specific naming conventions for each culture?

I love names so these answers always interest me!
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:34:54 AM »
Andrew, I'll be there tomorrow too and while I was contemplating asking some pesky questions, I didn't know if that would hold up the line or not. I guess if there isn't a huge mob of people then I could hang around and ask more questions until B&N security carted me off or Brandon told me to get lost.

The only time I ever got a book signed before was by Robert Jordan himself (Winter's Heart) and all I could think to say was, 'Uh, hi.'
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:01:38 AM »
I have a few random questions I would like answered sometime.

1. In one of Brandon's blog posts, he showed part of a listing of the Allomantic metals, their names, symbols, and the sounds (that at least Isaac) associated with them. Is Brandon ever planning on releasing the full list? (Blog post link is: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/735/Allomantic-Metal-Vinyl-Decals! for those who are curious.)

2. What would happen if one Allomantically Burned or Feruchemically Tapped a Hemalurgically Imbued metal? (Or used a Feruchemical storage for Hemalurgy, for that matter . . . .)

Mistborn Spoilers
3. If the Lord Ruler (Or any similar personage) used Aluminum to burn away their metals, what would the effect be on their Feruchemical stores within those metals? (Would they just go away? Would they be instantly tapped for massive power? Could it be used as a well to sink excess Feruchemical power into?)

Warbreaker Spoilers
4. If Denth had given in and let Vasher erase part of his memories, would Denth still have the skills he had learned during the forgotten time?

End Spoilers

And if you don't get a chance to ask them all, don't worry about it. I'll get around to asking him them eventually.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 03:06:42 AM »
Oh, I will most assuredly be there.  I don't know when I will show up (probably before it starts) or when I will leave (probably when the wife drags me out because I am hogging all of EOUL's time and no one else can get a word in edgewise, or when it is done (whichever comes first)).
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:24:08 AM »
Most prominent question I can think of is: Can Brandon come back to IF next week so I can talk to him about Warbreaker since this will be my first read through? That and 'what will he be doing at the end of July when I get Mistborn read? I'd like to discuss it with him too!
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 04:31:29 AM »
Silly question: What benefit does an Aluminum Savant get? ;D

More serious question: What are Lerasium's feruchemical and hemalurgical powers?  Is it even possible to use Preservation's God Metal in Ruin's Metallic Art (Atium is usable in Allomancy, so I'd think it can be, but I'm not sure).

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 04:31:56 AM »
Well, Andrew, I'd like to know some very esoteric things from Brandon that I've been wondering about for a while (you'd be very disappointed in me if they weren't like that, eh Andrew? :P)

[These are all Mistborn related questions, so maybe spoilers]

1. What do the Burnlands look like?

2. Where do the mists go in the night? Why do they just disappear?

3. Before the Ascension, why did the mists appear just as the Well of Ascension was gaining power? Did they come out at any other times?

4. Why did the mist-sickness only happen after the Lord Ruler died, in MB1? The Lord Ruler wasn't doing anything magical to prevent it from happening, so why only after the Lord Ruler's death? Couldn't it have happened anytime?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »
just for grins "who killed asmodean"
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
Is he going to be able to attend DragonCon this year?
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »
just for grins "who killed asmodean"

I was actually already going to ask him if that knowledge would appear in the gathering storm or not, so it should fit right in. Everyone else, I'll try to get your questions. Thanks everybody. I'm off to Barnes and Noble.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence