Author Topic: Warbreaker Reviews  (Read 2844 times)

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
Warbreaker Reviews
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
Granted many of you read this book some time ago, but I figured now that the book has officially been out for a week and a half that we could see some reviews on here.  I have the book and am waiting on my WOT re-read before picking it up, but in the mean time I want to see some review dang it. 

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: Warbreaker Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »
I posted my non-spoiler review as a commentary, but here it is again.

http://alibraryforme.blogspot.com/2009/06/warbreaker.html

I feel the need to read it again now.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »
I think Brandon posted a bunch on his blog.

(No, I don't have a link, sorry. I'd have to go find it, so I may as well make you do you your own legwork. :))
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:28:18 AM »
In my humble opinion, I think Warbreaker has the best prose out of all his published works. It has a subtle irony to it which is irresistible (Michael Moorcock's quote on the back of the hardcover mentions this fact, and I'm inclined to agree). Whereas Mistborn has a more distinctive setting and worldbuilding elements, Warbreaker is more indirect and subtle. Far superior prose.

And I'm a huge Mistborn fan.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

dtbmnec

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:48:32 AM »
I loved reading it online (well except for the part where my eyes would bug out because I'd just been reading text for the last 8 hours and my eyes hurt!).

I hadn't realized that it was being released soon. Or rather this month. I figured it'd have been released later. A week or so ago I was in Chapters (aka Indigo) with my boyfriend and his friends waiting for a movie when I decided to see if there was anything that caught my eye in the Fantasy section. Lo and behold a pretty cover with huge lettering saying "Warbreaker." I fangirl squealed. My boyfriend couldn't figure out what was wrong! Lol I was torn on whether to buy it since I didn't have much money at the time but my love of books won out.

I'm now reading it once more. (This time though I'm not certain my eyes will hurt. I make no promises as to being "awake" for work in the mornings though!)

Thanks Brandon Sanderson!!!! *insert fangirl hearts for the book*

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:00:09 AM »
I just finished reading Warbreaker for the first time (in my nicely signed hardback copy  ;D) and I'm completely stunned. It is such a fantastic book that brought some great concepts to life, wove them into a gripping plot, and brought to life a slew of characters that are REAL people.

This was one of those rare books that I can't manage to put down, once I finished a chapter and thought that I should be doing something else, I would read the first line of the next chapter and be hooked all over again. Brandon truly is a master of his craft, there wasn't any point in this book that I didn't feel like I could just reach out and touch Siri, or Vivenna, or Lightsong, or whoever.

I think Brandon might be onto something about BioChromata. I'm going to try to convince my co-workers and friends to give up their Breathes to me!
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:13:20 PM »
I really, really liked it.  I think the changes made between the last draft I read and the final were good ones, and knowing the story already didn't lessen the experience.  Adding to Dtbmnec's point about how well-written the characters are, how often does a sword become someone's favorite character?  Everybody loves Nightblood.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Jindael

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
This review is Spoiler Free.

WarBreaker is not only my favorite Brandon Sanderson book, it’s easily one of my all time favorite books. I’ve only finished reading it two nights ago, but I’ve already recommended it widely.

One of the big issues I have with multi-viewpoint written books is that I often dislike a character or two, and make a little inward sigh when I see that the next chapter is about them. (I’m looking at you, WoT.) With Warbreaker, I was subject to the twist of emotions that came from being disappointed that character A’s chapter was over, but also exhilarated that I was finally going to see what was going on with Character B. I never felt myself making that little sigh.

There seems to always be a character that at some point (very prevalent in Scifi/Fantasty) that barfs up the history-of-the-world-to-date/how-magic-works/social-ettiqute-of-the-realm/etc. Sanderson is the kung-fu master of controlled Barfing. While the Alcatraz books, to me, are the superlative version of controlled Barfing, Warbreaker’s barfing is also quite excellent because the Barfing actually illuminates the character of the Barfer at the same time it’s illuminating us, the Barfee. Sanderson is brilliant at conveying the complexities of his magic system in his prose, and never resorts to horrible analogies or metaphors to get the point across, like using the word Barf.

Warbreaker, after a short but gentle curve to get you settled in to this new world, doesn’t let up. One event after the next steadily builds the drama, excitement and mystery of the world. Even if every single primary character (and almost all the non-POV characters) weren’t incredibly engaging on their own, you would still read just because you had to know *why*. He hooks you that good.

If you’ve only read the online version, the book is worth the cost just for the fantastic cover art.

Jurisprude

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »
Good review in the local paper ... (not sure how long the link will stay good):

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705310203,00.html

modchamp

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »
I have never been a fan of the fantasy genre, got this book for free from an online giveaway so I figured I should read the book. I will give a full review at a later time but for now I just want to say that the end of the book was the best ending to a book/movie/tv show that I've ever seen. I'm not sure how he did it but he managed to wrap up everything, answer everything that I wanted wrapped up/answered and yet still set it up for a sequel and left me wanting for more stories/info on this great imagined world. Easily one of my top 5 favorite books of all time. As I said I'll be writing a more in-depth review later, but for now wanted to talk about the ending.

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
I think Warbreaker is probably his best book, so far.  Granted, I LIKE the Mistborn books better, but Warbreaker is better written.  I would imagine it will probably be more successful commercially than Mistborn.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
I agree that his writing has become better as each book has been finished.  This is something that I noticed when I read through Well of Ascension for the first time.  And I'm really glad to be seeing that.  Think that it will make his next project (Way of Kings) all the better.

Can't say that I really enjoyed Warbreaker, however.  In fact, my opinion is that it fell somewhere between Elantris and Mistborn story-wise.  I read the final pdf that he posted before the release of the hardback.  The whole thing just felt like a prequel to me.  Stuff that had happened in the world, but that probably didn't matter a whole lot in the overall scheme of things.  Part of that probably has to do with the fact that I really liked the magic system and the Vasher/Nightblood characters and their history, both of which got minimal coverage in this book, but really couldn't care less about what the two princesses found themselves involved in.  Just not my cuppa tea, I guess.  I am planning on reading the follow-up to Warbreaker though.  I think there's lots of promise in the "where next?" question., but that's about all I can say for this one.  Definitely hoping that the next book is better.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 03:20:59 AM »
Warbreaker was beautifully written, his characters pop, the magic system was cool and innovative, and it was indeed not as gloom-and-doom as Mistborn.  It is, construction-wise, his best book yet.  However, I like the story and characters in the Mistborn trilogy more.  I'm very glad I started reading Mr. Sanderson's works... he's won me over as a life-time reader.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?