Author Topic: I like Sanderson's marketing strategy w/Warbreaker  (Read 6445 times)

tipbruley

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I like Sanderson's marketing strategy w/Warbreaker
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 05:19:19 AM »
I think this may have been a better move if he writes a sequel to the book. I like the fact that the reader can be perfectly comfortable with having the series end the how it did. In a way, the book was like a movie in which their would only be a sequel if the movie did well. You are fine walking away, but there are some loose ends and new direction to take it.

People won't feel like they are being "tricked" by getting the first book for free, then having to read the next few. They can walk away from the series if they wanted.

However, if he does write more books, then the people who loved Warbreaker will buy them (and probably go back and buy the first of the series as well). Personally, I read the book online, because when I found out about it, I wanted to read it straight away (they didn't have it at the book stores and I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped).

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
I just finished reading the free version yesterday.  Since I have a Kindle, it was a simple task of copying it over and reading it like I read any other book.  However, since I was able to read it easily, I have not purchased it and, unless TOR starts releasing his stuff on the kindle as well, I doubt I will.  I have, however, convinced my brothers to start buying Sanderson's books, so maybe, in the long run, it works.

I have bought his other books in dead-tree form... but mainly just due to availability.
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

daschaich

• Level 1
  • Still the band plays on (relieved!)
    • View Profile
    • physics.bu.edu/~schaich
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
... unless TOR starts releasing his stuff on the kindle as well...

As far as I can tell, the Kindle edition was released the same day as the hardcover.

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »
Wow, I didn't notice that.  I guess that's a risk you take with releasing it for free is that sometimes people don't notice it.  I have now, however, purchased it to support Sanderson.  However, typing in Sanderson's name, I only see Warbreaker and the Mistborn series... both which I've already purchased.  They don't have his other books like Elantris or Alcatraz. 

Anyone know how much he makes when he sells a kindle/ebook version vs a dead tree version.  (Since I paid $10, and there were no real production costs past the usual copyediting, I'm hoping that he and TOR get a good portion of this.  Anyone know numbers?
  - Orson Welles

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:17 PM »
Anyone know how much he makes when he sells a kindle/ebook version vs a dead tree version.  (Since I paid $10, and there were no real production costs past the usual copyediting, I'm hoping that he and TOR get a good portion of this.  Anyone know numbers?

Orson Scott Card has a weekly column in his local news paper and he covers it.  http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2009-04-05.shtml
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
Wow, good read but that's shitty.  Sanderson should have a 'Tip" button on his webpage... that way I can download the ebook, read it for free, and tip the $10.00 that the Kindle costs... that way he'll get all 100% of the cost.

Maybe I'll take him out for dinner or something when he comes down to the bay area.  :/

Edit:  Ok, I looked closer at Brandon's site and did, in fact, find a 'tip jar.'   Go figure.

Kindle book canx, $10 tip paid.  I feel better already.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:23:05 PM by stridera »
  - Orson Welles

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:23 AM »
so, I did read the book as it was being released online. I now own two copies, one personalized and signed and the other that I have only seen for maybe a day or two since I've been lending it to all of my friends to read. I now have several friends hooked on his books. One is now reading the mistborn series and the other will get Elantris tomorrow if I remember to bring it to work.

I think this was a great idea! Even though he didn't like any of my suggestions I still feel like I was part of the writing process. I used to refresh the page every wednesday night until he posted the next chapter so I could read it as soon as he posted it. Now my screen name is in the book and I've told everyone I've talked to about books to read it.

People could already get it for free from the library so if you were going to buy it you would buy it anyway even if you could get it online.
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

FireArt

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 03:54:13 AM »
   I saw the free version, but I didn't read it, mostly because I'm a "sit on the couch, wrapped in a blanket with a book in one hand and coffee in the other", kind of reader. But even so I was tempted because I was pretty much broke when it came out, but I managed to scrounge up enough money to get the book (and only succeeded at that because someone was late picking up a reserved copy-thank you Jesus!).

Anyway, I actually gained a LOT of respect for him for doing it. It showed how much he believed in his fans and in his own ability to write a book compelling enough that people would actually want to own it, not just read it.

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »
While I didnt read Warbreaker for free (didnt know it  until this thread).
I read Mistborn 1 for free (TOR did give some ebooks away for free).
I didnt bought Mistborn 1 afterward, but I bought all his other books (except for some reason Eleantris, but I think its only a matter of time before I do that).

So I agree its a very effective marketing strategy.
There are some other autors who do/did that. John Scalzi has one on his HP (The storie with the aliens and the marketing guy).

And there is the Free Library from Webscription.
(liked books from: Eric Flint, John Ringo, David Drake, David Weber, Michael Z. Williamson, David Friedman, Chris Dolley, Elizabeth Moon, Linda Evans, John Dalmas, etc)
not all most are not in top category like BS, but some are.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 06:07:16 AM »
Any recs Korwin?

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 09:04:49 AM »
My first free drug sample was An Oblique Approach
The series is finished.
In the last book it got imho a little to easy for the good guys.

Anything from David Weber (beware he can't keep it short. But I like massive books).
Oath of Swords
Is his fantasy series (I think the world is based/was used in an RPG-Game with David Weber as GM. But dont quote me on this. I'm not shure in this case.)

On Basilisk Station
The beginning of his Honor Harrington Series.
Its his most sucesful serie. Around 10? book in the main series and 2 spin-offs with other authors.

Harald
Liked it, would buy the next book from him (David Friedman). (Hmm, looks at amazon... No seems to be his only [fantasy] book. Dont want a history of the penis, hope this is another author with the same name...).
The books is very amusing.

Since I am to lazy to write more I'll quote the blurbs:

An Oblique Approach

ALIEN MINDS BATTLE FOR BYZANTIUM
In northern India the Malwa have created an empire of unexampled evil. Guided or possessed by an intelligence from beyond time, with new weapons, old treachery, and an implacable will to power, the Malwa will sweep over the whole Earth. Only three things stand between the Malwa and their plan of eternal domination: the empire of Rome in the East, Byzantium; a crystal with vision; and a man named Belisarius, the greatest commander Earth has ever know. .

Oath of Swords
Bahzell Bahnakson of the hrandani is no knight in shining armor and doesn't want to mix with anybody else's problems, let alone the War God's. Unfortunately, he isn't going to have any choice...

On Basilisk Station

INTRODUCING
HONOR HARRINGTON
Having made him look a fool, she's been exiled to Basilisk Station in disgrace and set up for ruin by a superior who hates her.

Her demoralized crew blames her for their ship's humiliating posting to an out-of-the-way picket station.

The aborigines of the system's only habitable planet are smoking homicide-inducing hallucinogens.

Parliament isn't sure it wants to keep the place; the major local industry is smuggling; the merchant cartels want her head; the star-conquering, so-called "Republic" of Haven is Up To Something; and Honor Harrington has a single, over-age light cruiser with an armament that doesn't work to police the entire star system.

But the people out to get her have made one mistake. They've made her mad.

Harald
He Didn’t Get the Surrender Memo!

It’s the perfect storm for conquest: a dysfunctional kingdom reels under a weak monarch.  A powerful order of warrior maidens turns to infighting after suddenly losing its  charismatic leader. Worst of all, a disciplined and blooded imperial army stands ready to invade and dominate. If ever a moment called for grit, competence, and an utter lack of wishful thinking it is now. Enter Harald of the Vales. Family man and teller of tales.  Warrior’s warrior. It’s time the Empire got one thing straight: the land of Kaerlia will never be its for the taking.

An intricate and thrilling debut fantasy novel from libertarian prof (and son of economist Milton Friedman) and Society for Creative Anachronism grandee, David D. Friedman.

Btw. David Weber has more than two series (alone and collaborations), I only picket two examples.

If you want more rec's, just ask  ;)

DavidFriedman

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 07:10:10 PM »
I'm glad Korwin liked reading Harald; I enjoyed writing it. I've written a number of nonfiction books as well, but A History of the Penis is not one of them--that's another author with the same name.

I've also written another novel, not connected to Harald, but I haven't yet found a publisher for it; you can find the first two chapters at http://www.daviddfriedman.com/salamander/Salamander_First_2_Chapters.html. I've done some work on a sequel to Harald, but am not currently working on it.

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »
I tried to write a little better why I liked Harald, but
  • I suck at writing reviews
  • even in German (first language)
  • The book was published in April 08, and I think I read only the eARC, which was even earlier

So I'll reread the book and maybe write something more afterwards  ;)

Dhrun

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »
I like this marketing strategy.  I usually only read books now on mobipocket on a PDA.

So nice to be able to download a good book without DRM on it.

I read the note about the best way to support is by buying from an online store but none of them offer it as a non DRM mobipocket format, so downloaded and $10 direct via  the paypal tip.