Author Topic: Greatest Feat of Strength when burning Pewter?  (Read 6285 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest Feat of Strength when burning Pewter?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 08:06:51 PM »
Pewter not only makes you stronger, but it makes you quicker and more agile, and sturdier.  Vin kicks some enemies so hard their heads cave in like they were hit with a sledge hammer, yet suffers no damage herself. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
Quote from: Euphrasie on Yesterday at 02:16:09 PM
The bullet question might be theoretical unless it was a surprise attack.  In any other fight, a mistborn could just push all the guns themselves away.  Unless someone gets tricksy with a ceramic gun or something.

You couldn't really surprise the Mistborn ebcause they can sense out metals as well, can't they?

Well, yeah. But they might just think it's coins or something if they can't see it, and therefore not take any real notice of it at all.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

WorkerOne

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »
Alright... Let's turn on nerd mode here. Haven't had physics for a couple years now, but it seems like you could see this as conservation of momentum:

Taking some of the larger values for a .50 caliber round from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG, we can say the bullet has a mass of 0.052 kilograms and a speed of 928 meters per second, which gives us a momentum of 48.256 kg * m/s.  Transferring all that momentum to a 50 kg object (say, a person who weighs about 110 pounds), we get a speed of less than 1 m/s (or less than 2.25 miles per hour).

So I would say it is definitely possible to deflect bullets (even without pewter), as the above scenario was overestimated in basically every aspect, especially since deflecting the bullet doesn't take nearly as much effort as stopping the bullet.

The real question, as I think some people have alluded to, is whether a human would have the reflexes needed to direct their abilities towards stopping a fired bullet. It seems more likely that the bullet would never be fired then that it would be deflected after being fired.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »
I should think that if they were burning atium, they could definitely steelpush a bullet. Hell, I imagine they could Neo their way around the shots. They could also push/pull against the barrel of the gun (almost certainly metal) or the ball inside before it was fired.

If it the Allomancer were taken by surprise or didn't actively target the ball before it was fired, I would think it'd likely travel across intervening space faster than they could react with a push. If they were pushing on it actively when
 it was fired, I'm not sure what would happen... without an anchor, somone's probably gonna fly, and the gun would almost certainly explode (if the push holds the ball inside and effectively plugs the barrel).

As for Greatest Feat of Pewter-Strength...

I'm inclined to think it's the end of book 2, but I'm not positive. t's worth remembering that when Vin was pewter-dragging that koloss sword, she also then leapt through the damn sky like classic golden-age Superman, and brought that same sword down through a full-grown, presumably armored man, and his horse.

That's a neat trick.

But I don't know if it would count as the most powerful example of a pewter-burn in the books. Have to re-read them all for that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:55:21 AM by Inkthinker »

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
I should think that if they were burning atium, they could definitely steelpush a bullet. Hell, I imagine they could Neo their way around the shots. They could also push/pull against the barrel of the gun (almost certainly metal) or the ball inside before it was fired.

If it the Allomancer were taken by surprise or didn't actively target the ball before it was fired, I would think it'd likely travel across intervening space faster than they could react with a push. If they were pushing on it actively when
 it was fired, I'm not sure what would happen... without an anchor, somone's probably gonna fly, and the gun would almost certainly explode (if the push holds the ball inside and effectively plugs the barrel).

As for Greatest Feat of Pewter-Strength...

I'm inclined to think it's the end of book 2, but I'm not positive. t's worth remembering that when Vin was pewter-dragging that koloss sword, she also then leapt through the damn sky like classic golden-age Superman, and brought that same sword down through a full-grown, presumably armored man, and his horse.

That's a neat trick.

But I don't know if it would count as the most powerful example of a pewter-burn in the books. Have to re-read them all for that.

This neat little trick was probably duralumin-boosted, so I'm pretty certain it shouldn't count.
Nature hates being reified.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 11:46:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure duralumin is a one-shot deal that burns all of a particular metal at once in a burst of power. Witn a duralumin flare, it's all gone afterward, and the Allomancer returns to human levels. Since she didn't immediately drop the sword or specifically down another vial of metals, I don't know that duralumin was involved during that particular event.

I don't think she leaped on pewter alone, I think she did a mighty steelpush AND leaped, but all of this goes to show that Vin is particularly powerful.

Nevertheless, I should think that wielding a koloss blade or even chopping clean through a horse isn't out of the question for anyone who can effectively burn pewter. It's the combined effort of everything she was doing at once that's impressive.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 01:29:54 AM »
I don't have the book available to check right now, but I specifically remember noting that Vin did drink a new vial shortly before or after landing and concluding in part specifically because of that that her incredible leap had involved duralumin.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 08:25:14 AM »
You know what, you're right. He specifically refers to the jump as a duralumin-fueled (p706 in my paperback, which I didn't have earlier). My bad, mea culpa.

Hey, look, someone admitted they were wrong in an Internet conversation! It's the End Times a-comin, Ma!!

Still seems like she can wield the sword easily enough while pewter-powered (I'm pretty sure she does it again in book 3), she just can't leap a mile or so at the same time.

Also, am I wrong in thinking that duralumin only flares, burning out the Allomancers reserve in one big punch? Can you slow-burn it to enhance other metals?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:27:21 AM by Inkthinker »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »
I understood duralumin acted only to extremely flare metals in a large punch. Though if you are wondering if the duralumin itself flares, then the answer would be no. You can slow burn duralumin, flaring out metals in a big punch, but the duralumin still exists, so you could repeat the process with other metals.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure duralumin is a one-shot deal that burns all of a particular metal at once in a burst of power. Witn a duralumin flare, it's all gone afterward, and the Allomancer returns to human levels. Since she didn't immediately drop the sword or specifically down another vial of metals, I don't know that duralumin was involved during that particular event.

I don't think she leaped on pewter alone, I think she did a mighty steelpush AND leaped, but all of this goes to show that Vin is particularly powerful.

Nevertheless, I should think that wielding a koloss blade or even chopping clean through a horse isn't out of the question for anyone who can effectively burn pewter. It's the combined effort of everything she was doing at once that's impressive.

This is all true.  But I can't help but thinking that most of the energy for slicing the horse in half came from the massive single duralumin jump at the beginning.  She probably drank another vial afterwards just to keep herself in one piece and hold onto the sword, but its a combination of a lot of things that allowed the massive feat of strength.  But it seems to me that it's no good for calibrating just pewter.

I understood duralumin acted only to extremely flare metals in a large punch. Though if you are wondering if the duralumin itself flares, then the answer would be no. You can slow burn duralumin, flaring out metals in a big punch, but the duralumin still exists, so you could repeat the process with other metals.

This is also what I understood.  It seems to me there would be no point in flaring duralumin.  Although one would have to wonder what exactly it would do to you.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »
No, what I'm saying is, if you burn duralumin doesn't that automatically flare whatever other metals are burning? Or can you slow burn both at once, to enhance?

For instance, duralumin + pewter = pewter x2 (or x10, whatever). Or does burning duralumin at ALL instantly flare out your other burning metals?

I couldn't find it in the annotations at the end of the book, but I could probably find it if I re-read the text. I just can't remember any occasion on which it was used that didn't result in a flare of power.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »
Yes all metals that are currently burning are flared.  You have to shut off your other metals before burning durilium or they will be gone as well.  Makes good thinking for an RPG if a mistborn forgets to shut off tin before turning on durilium.  Instant blindness from the flare. :D

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 12:36:28 AM »
Yes all metals that are currently burning are flared.  You have to shut off your other metals before burning durilium or they will be gone as well.  Makes good thinking for an RPG if a mistborn forgets to shut off tin before turning on durilium.  Instant blindness from the flare. :D

This happened to Vin the first time she burned Duralumin.  She didn't try to flare her burning metals.  It just happened automatically.  The books make more of a point of it later; she was very careful with Duralumin after that point.

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 01:22:57 AM »
It may be more feasible to push the guns out of the attacker's hands before firing.  But it would be cool to see her deflect bullets.  I apologize in advance, but I have to do it:

Neo: What are you saying?  That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No...when you're ready, you won't have to.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
On the topic of bullet-pushing, as long as a Coinshot or Mistborn noticed in time, it shouldn't be any problem to deflect a bullet. Unless the bullet was aimed directly at the chest (where the steelpush originates) a simple push should suffice to deflect the bullet away from the body. As for pewter, I think the best example is when Vin spars with Hammond, adn when Kelsier and Vin run on Pewter Flare for a day straight.

Am I mistaken?
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]