Author Topic: General Religious discussion  (Read 54359 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
General Religious discussion
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Just because we keep dropping in and out of this discussion I made a topic for us to move to when we hit that point.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: General Religious discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »
A necessary evil fro mankind... only because we can not find hope with in ourselves so we look for it as an outside force in other words we know we are ****** so we look for good news!!! Personally i find my own bs as hope!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »
I find it just as hard to disbelieve as I find it to believe.

Therefore I choose to not believe or disbelieve in the absolutes.  I believe in possibility instead.  That way, when something miraculous does happen I attribute it to where it belongs and try to keep my vision from being clouded by over zealousness or by determination to not believe.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »

Therefore I choose to not believe or disbelieve in the absolutes.  I believe in possibility instead.  That way, when something miraculous does happen I attribute it to where it belongs and try to keep my vision from being clouded by over zealousness or by determination to not believe.

Agnostic, i take it?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »
Ohh don't get me wrong i believe in a supreme deity i just think that what man worships is himself or the ideal of himself... if that makes any sense... i just think we have got it wrong so far and that we may never know the real answer(s)...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »

Agnostic, i take it?
More like curio-gnostic.  (Yay for making up words).  I want to learn.  I want to know the truth.  I just don't think anyone truly knows.  If I can see the truth and that truth can fully push away all doubt, I will accept it.  I want to know about things and the way they work.  I want to see what isn't seen.  Where agnostics just don't care to know necessarily, I truly do want to know.

I understand Kaz.  Basically similar to what I think you just worded it differently and it confused me to thinking you were completely close minded.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
I want to learn.  I want to know the truth.  I just don't think anyone truly knows.  If I can see the truth and that truth can fully push away all doubt, I will accept it.  I want to know about things and the way they work.  I want to see what isn't seen.

That's an interesting way to look at things. I hope you don't hold science to that same standard, as it's essentially based on the idea that we must doubt all truths.

In my experience, simply knowing the truth is not enough to fully push away all doubt. Only faith can do that. I believe that we can receive direct confirmation of truth from God through sincere prayer and the exercise of faith, and that only this confirmation is strong enough to enable a person to say that they know the truth beyond all doubt.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
Gnosto-curious?

Do yourself a favor avoid gnosticism, its a dead end.  In time when you get tired of experimentation, if you are serious about exploring a Christian faith that has some teeth to it send me a pm.

I know you were assuming certain things about my own background because there are a number of LDS members on this forum.  For the record, Mormons aren't the only faith represented here.

That's as much as I'll say on that subject. :P

*** WoT spoiler follows ***
Something that does seem to fit this thread is the parallels to real world faith's found in WoT.  Frankly I found that Rigney used elements from various faiths and yet it's interesting that the faith in the Dark One that the dark-friends embrace has elements that he borrowed from "Christian" traditions.  While his faith in the creator mingled bits of Buddhism, Christianity and WICCA.

I find this odd given his own background.  It also struck me as odd that everyone you encounter believes in the Creator and the Dark One.  But there is no organized religion.  Even the Whitecloaks have a philosophy and an ethical guide but no identifiable religious practice or worship.  Masema, confuses me most of all.  How can you have a prophet with no ritual?  It was the one piece of WoT that failed to hang together for me.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:46:12 PM by Renoard »
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:46 PM »
Oh I hardly believe in science either.  I mean.  I believe that we have PART of it figured out, but there has to be something we aren't seeing.  No matter how long you study something, you can't know everything there is to know about it.

For instance.  You look at a page from a book.  Think of all you can learn from just that!

The words:
Who wrote them.
That persons history and all the events that caused him/her to think in the way the did to write what they did. (Learning just that could take way more than anyone would be willing to put effort for)
The ink they were written in.  Where it was made.  How it was made.  Where all of the materials came from.  How those materials got there.

The paper:
The way it was manufactured.
The tree it came from.
Where that tree was harvested and how it came to grow in that place.

The page:
How it was bound.
Where it was published.
How many former drafts it had.
How the book before and after affects it.

I just scratch the surface and there is already more than a dozen lifetimes worth of knowledge to look for for simply one page in a book.

@Renoard - I don't necessarily want a Christian 'faith' or any faith for that matter.  I want a truth.  Knowledge and truth are the things that are how I view religion and science and the reality of the world.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
For the record I want to second what Ry said in his last post.

@miyabi   I know.  But if that changes I'm here.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
Thanks.  That is oddly comforting.  "]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
I was raised as a christian bought into for the majority of my life was baptised ect. ect. i know the arguments on that side far to well, better than the arguments against it, and despite all the prayer and other BS that i followed excessively (i know the bible better than most practising Christian's and i haven't touched it in 3 years which is sad on their part) i never reached a point beyond doubt i never had some divine revelation... how can what people profess be true if that was my experience it is only wishful thinking and ignorance that removes doubt and doubt is perhaps the greatest achievement of man...

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
Kaz, this is meant to be a discussion topic not a flaming thread.  If you want to flame, please go elsewhere.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
For the record, Renoard, I don't think anybody actually mentioned Gnosticism, as in the Nag Hammadi library and its books, or gnostic religion (sometimes referred to as "gnosticism")--esoteric religious practices--or stereotypical Gnosticism, the dualistic, misinterpreted "new" Gnosticism of the 20th Century as old and lost bible books were put together.  The term "curio-gnostic" was a play on "agnostic," completely different from what is actually called g(G)nosticism.

And, besides, I don't think that Gnosticism is inherently a dead end.  A lot of people find Gnosticism and decide the teachings of those books really hold a lot of truth in their eyes or that the Nag Hammadi library is a good compliment to those books which were not destroyed by the orthodox rulers of Christianity, who took what served their purposes and destroyed or removed what didn't.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Gnosticism means knowing.  There is a section of Christianity that are Gnostics who want to know everything about the religion.

I simply want to be Gnostic.  I want to know things.  But I don't know many things so I can't be Gnostic.  Therefore I tried curio-gnostic as a term to convey that point.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。