Author Topic: Malazan Book of the Fallen  (Read 15039 times)

swaindaddy

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
Malazan Book of the Fallen
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:21:40 PM »
Wondering if I should invest in this series.

I love WoT, Night Angel Trilogy, Warded Man, Eddings, Feist, and Runelords.

My skepticism comes from the critics at amazon and the like. They all keep mentioning that the books are to scatter-brained and hard to follow.

Can anyone here compare them to WoT or other fantasy staples?

If you have read the MBotF let me know if I should.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: Malazan Book of the Fallen
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »
The tone is very different from the serie you mentioned.  "Ericksen" has said that he likes to take the classic fantasy roles and turn them on there ear.  He and his collaborator are both history types (anthropologists and archeologists) so they use a style of narrative that "tastes" more like translations of Greek and Mesopotamian god myths.  If you liked Gilgamesh you'll love The Book of the Fallen.

The early novels are far more conventional, but as the world expands there is some confusion as Ericksen chases down threads and tries to tie them together.  It's fun but he isn't shy about building a major character then hacking him or her to bits before getting to a tidy conclusion in the character's goals and life.

Think about what it would have been like if after all he'd been through Rand had stumbled, cracked his head and died of concussion on the way back from the Aiel Waste.  Anticlimactic elements like that are integral to the Malazan stories.  But they are good despite being a bit alien.  Must be a Canadian thing. ;P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:43:14 PM »
its "Erikson."  :P

To be fair, characters don't trip and crack their heads open and die. That isn't an Erikson convention at all. Mostly all of the deaths that occur are pretty dramatic (though you many not understand the meaning of the deaths for a novel or two). I also disagree with the first few books being conventional.

However, Erikson IS very history minded. He almost didn't get published because his first book makes you feel like you missed 3 books worth of material - he doesn't start at the "beginning" of the story like the stereotypical chapter 1's for Eddings, Feist, Jordan, Brooks, etc... His puts a lot of effort into races and their history, as well as kingdoms and their history...and them all being hacked to bloody bits. His endings are spectacular.

In my opinion, the reason they are good is because of strong characterization (which you don't really get till book 2), and BECAUSE it ISN'T like other fantasy staples. He is perhaps one of the most popular authors in Europe, but the US has done a terrible job of marketing him (which is why he isn't more popular here).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »
I only meant more conventional as compared to the later novels.  Not with regard to the world at large.  And yeah the actual cause of death is usually a bit more dramatic. I was taking the poet's privilege. I just meant he's not shy about offing the character you've invested in as the protagonist and taking off in a different direction entirely.

as for the spelling, I stand corrected. :)

Otherwise I think we agree.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
oh yes. book 3's ending was more gut-wrenching than the deaths in, say, a Martin novel.

I once read one person's take on the body-counts in Erikson novels - he said what makes it so good is that the death count doesnt seem over-the-top. He said, in fact, that it is a miracle that the PoV characters even survive until the end of the novel!

It's that sense of extreme danger to the characters that i LOVE.

swaindaddy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »
I was/am not really a fan of the Game of Thrones - so what impact would that have on me trying out this series - I am very interested but also very skittish.

Once I commit I will launch in full force so any input would be helpful. Thanks.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:27:48 AM »
I like them quite a bit better than martin. In fact, if I had to pick a favorite series that I've read so far, it would probably be this one. You have to be prepared to not know everything, and it helps if you go into it understanding that you'll be fairly confused for a good portion of the first book. Once you figure out what is going on however, which didn't take as long as it seemed like it would, the books take off. I had trouble getting into the first one, and the first half of the second one was slow. After that, I've just read them straight through.

Erikson is great with characters. Even when they die, it doesn't feel like a cheap plot resolution or a quick twist just to pull out emotional response from readers. Instead, it's usually satisfying, yet still sad. Based on the other books you've said you liked, I'd say try the first and second, and if you're not hooked, don't get the rest. If you don't like it by the end of the second, you probably won't like the rest, although the third is, in my opinion, the best book in the series so far. I'm kind of rambling, but basically what I'm saying is that you should try it. And if you get terribly confused, wikipedia can be your friend, although don't look too far because there are spoilers. I had to use wiki to figure out what the heck warrens were, but that was about the extent of my usage. Anyway....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
I would wait until books 9 and 10 are published before starting them up. I finished through book 8 and the lack of finality to alot of the storylines has me rather perturbed.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
well, then you dont have to wait long since book 9 comes out in the UK in July, and then book 10 next year. Not to mention you have the Esselmont novels in the Malazan series (the 3rd one coming soon) and the 3 short stories in the series done by Erikson. If you ask me, this is a great time to start the series.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 09:49:52 PM »
I guess, before saying "yes or no" we should ask how long it normally takes you to read a book? The Malazan series clocks out at 700+ pages per book (hard cover) or over 1000 softcover. If youread slowly, then I would say bookstore guy may be right. I read the whole series in about 6 weeks, so I have a long wait now. I wish I had know, i would have waited and read something else instead. Something finished lol

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:44 PM »
I started in late may and am a third of the way through bonehunters...ignoring other books i have already bought to go buy and read these... and as stingy as i am that IS SAYING SOMETHING!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shadmere

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 04:02:32 AM »
I've definitely been considering this series.  I saw it recently on a list of "Best Fantasy Series."  Heh.  Well, there's got to be some way I find new books. :p

After I finish The Baker's Boy and its two sequels, I might give it a try.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 04:16:58 AM »
I've been reading the first book for about six months now. It's fantastic, but - and I don't know about anyone else - I need to take frequent breaks while reading it. This is probably not such a good thing, as I tend to forget stuff after I go a month without reading it...

Utterly fantastic, but at the moment, a bit hard for me to read too much in one go.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 04:28:54 AM »
It's complexity can be a turn off for some, but in my opinion Memories of Ice (the third book) is one of the top 10 books in the genre hands down. I finished the series in about a month.... that being said I wasn't gainfully employed at the time and half that time was summer break.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »
A lot of people have trouble getting into the first book, but the series is definitely worth it.
If I had any clue, would I be here?