Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*  (Read 32473 times)

Ari54

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
Re: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 01:56:01 AM »
Perhaps [Lerasium] could steal all of a person's powers, feruchemy and mistborn included? *shrug*

No, a previous annotation already said that Atium does for all the powers.  Unless you mean Lerasium could steal more than one power at a time.

Indeed. Atium can steal any power. I was proposing that perhaps Lerasium could steal all of the powers it was exposed to at once.

edit: Oh, and Peter: I had the same theory about Atium being an electrum alloy, but I thought that meant that Seers were actually just electrum mistings who could burn Atium because it was an alloy of electrum. I totally hope we find out more about alloys of Atium sometime, even if you can't spoil it for us. You tease. ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:01:39 AM by Ari54 »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 04:25:57 AM »
You are half right it steals all the abilities from a mistborn but it somehow does MORE....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 06:10:51 AM »
Wouldn't a spike of pure lerasium give one's body that same jolt of Preservation, therefore making you Mistborn?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 07:01:23 AM »
Well, if Hemalurgy grants power by augmenting your spiritual structure with material from other people, wouldn't a Lerasium spike be like augmenting your spirit with Preservation? It would definitely make you more attuned to Preservation that way, granting Misborn powers, but I can't imagine that having spiritual material of a God in your body would be good for you either.

I also wonder if Atium has a side-effect like Lerasium does. Perhaps a few experiments with uncharged Atium spikes in Hemalurgy?
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »
It is my understanding, that unless a spike is charged, it will have no effect (except injuring the person impaled). Assuming this is true, You would have to kill someone with a Lerasium spike, then plant it in a specific place on someone's body in order to get ANY effect out of it.

Wouldn't that be using Ruin's magic system with a fragment of Preservation's body?

I think the real question we want to be asking is what would a full Mistborn get out of burning an Atium/Lerasium Alloy?

That's what I want to know. And as previously stated, becoming an Atium misting (assuming the Atium used in the books isn't an Atium/Electrum alloy) is a side-effect, correct?
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 08:02:44 PM »
You have to know where to put the spike into the victim to get the power as well... And Chaos you do steal all of a mistborn's abilities if you have a lerasium spike but it grants other powers outside the three magic systems as well. (the powers given are not related to the Allomancy, Feruchemy, or normal Hemalurgy systems so i'm told)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
That is true, but swallowing raw metal without Allomancy is a bad idea as well. With Lerasium, we know what it does to normal people, and part of what it does in Hemalurgy, but not Feruchemists or Allomancers. With Atium, we have details about all three magic systems, but no clue what use, if any, it has for normal people.

I would hazard a guess and say it's similar to Lerasium's effect, making the user more attuned to Ruin, but what does that do, exactly? Improve Hemalurgic capabilities? Make you go insane?
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
That is true, but swallowing raw metal without Allomancy is a bad idea as well. With Lerasium, we know what it does to normal people, and part of what it does in Hemalurgy, but not Feruchemists or Allomancers. With Atium, we have details about all three magic systems, but no clue what use, if any, it has for normal people.

I would hazard a guess and say it's similar to Lerasium's effect, making the user more attuned to Ruin, but what does that do, exactly? Improve Hemalurgic capabilities? Make you go insane?

i would say it grants/improves Hemalurgic potential. As far as insanity goes, they only really went insane from the total experience (being mind controlled, the horrific tasks and abilities, etc), not from just being touched by ruin on its own, at least thats what it seems to me.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
This is very interesting.

Hence the decision that where the spike was placed in the receiver, and how it was used to kill a person, influenced how the power was shaped. Now a pewter spike could steal any of a number of powers, based on how it was used. And regular people could be used instead of Allomancers—however, when that happened, the receiver was twisted much more than if an Allomantically charged spike or a Feruchemically charged spike was used.

My rationale for this is that if the spike is pulling out the pure power of Preservation—part of the power of all creation—and twisting it, it would change the body of the recipient greatly. Twisting them through use of the twisted power.

I never really fully understood how Hemalurgy created koloss. Now I do.

Also, I totally called it that the Blessing of Stability granted emotional stability.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »
I'm glad you guys started up some new Mistborn discussions, it's been forever.  I have one comment about Lerasium; If Lerasium is concentrated Preservation, and part of what Hemalurgy does is steal a portion of Preservation from the victim, then wouldn't it be impossible to use Lerasium this way?

My theory on what a Mistborn can do with Lerasium is based on what the Well of Ascension gave.  It's logical to assume that the Well was Lerasium in liquid form, so a bead of Lerasium would enhance an allomancer in every possible way, although it would obviously burn up very, very quickly.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 09:49:35 PM »
It is possible b/c Brandon said it works... and watch we will see a lerasium spike sometime or he would have told me exactly what it would do!!!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 04:41:26 AM »
Ahhh, so you pumped the Man for information.  Nice!  Unfortunately, I think my children will have read Mistborn and the Wheel of Time before we get a definitive answer (they're 3 and 2 now, by the way)  :(
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35:18 AM »
Random outside-the-box thinking here, but if Inquisitors (who weren't originally allomancers) had children (why don't we see any female Inquisitors anyway?), would they be more likely to be allomancers?

Probably not, but it's an interesting thought. If it is true, we might see some children of Marsh (unlikely) that have powers. Who knows, maybe the mistborn from the next trilogy might be his son/daughter.

One more random thought. I say that at some point in the next trilogy, the hero will guiltily hemalurgically spike a dying man, in order to try and defeat the villain.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 12:49:03 AM »
Random outside-the-box thinking here, but if Inquisitors (who weren't originally allomancers) had children (why don't we see any female Inquisitors anyway?), would they be more likely to be allomancers?

Probably not, but it's an interesting thought. If it is true, we might see some children of Marsh (unlikely) that have powers. Who knows, maybe the mistborn from the next trilogy might be his son/daughter.

One more random thought. I say that at some point in the next trilogy, the hero will guiltily hemalurgically spike a dying man, in order to try and defeat the villain.

These are good questions.  The fact that Inquisitors actually are a different species that propogates itself by killing mistings/mistborn would seem to be a partial answer.
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:16 AM »
And they ARE allomancers just usually mistings beforehand...