Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*  (Read 33096 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 05:36:41 AM »
As I read your comment, I came up with an idea.

Atium, you see, has both temporal aspects and mental aspects. You can see into the future, and your brain can process the information more effectively (I would also assume that it gives you a bit more Ruin, compared with the body's natural Ruin/Preservation, just like lerasium gives you a better link to Preservation. However, unlike Preservation which gives you a clear magical effect, this Ruin-side effect may be more related to the violence one inflicts with atium, as Sazed notes in the epigraphs of MB3).

As alloyed-atium grants expanded mental and temporal aspects, and there are two clear components in atium's Allomantic effect, I think that the converse is true for lerasium. Its Allomantic power is physical and enhancement in nature, most likely.

That's really interesting, actually. Whereas normal metals have a pair in the same quadrant, like gold and electrum, atium and lerasium are on opposite halves of the metal wheel.

So, if atium grants invincibility through mental/temporal means, which in effect it does (brings a whole new meaning to god metal, yes?), lerasium may grant invincibility via physical/enhancement methods. That seems really plausible to me.

If this is true, there better be a frickin' lerasium vs. atium burning battle in a later Mistborn trilogy, or I will be extremely upset. That would be all kinds of awesome.

I would also like to agree with this notion.  This might also explain why Elend managed to recover from the fatal wound like he did.  He (very temporarily) had super-pewter, which would go a long way towards healing him, or at least stopping him from dying.
Nature hates being reified.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 05:57:23 AM »
The Lerasium-side effect of becoming a mistborn makes sense. After all, doesn't Atium make you an incredible killing machine (as Sazed mentions in one of the epitaphs).

But what this leads me to wonder is what Lerasium would do as a Spike. Since Atium does something specific in Allomancy, it stands to reason, that a Lerasium Spike would do something specific too. (Although you'd have to be pretty stupid to make a spike out of it instead of just burning it)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »
As I read your comment, I came up with an idea.

Atium, you see, has both temporal aspects and mental aspects. You can see into the future, and your brain can process the information more effectively (I would also assume that it gives you a bit more Ruin, compared with the body's natural Ruin/Preservation, just like lerasium gives you a better link to Preservation. However, unlike Preservation which gives you a clear magical effect, this Ruin-side effect may be more related to the violence one inflicts with atium, as Sazed notes in the epigraphs of MB3).

As alloyed-atium grants expanded mental and temporal aspects, and there are two clear components in atium's Allomantic effect, I think that the converse is true for lerasium. Its Allomantic power is physical and enhancement in nature, most likely.

That's really interesting, actually. Whereas normal metals have a pair in the same quadrant, like gold and electrum, atium and lerasium are on opposite halves of the metal wheel.

So, if atium grants invincibility through mental/temporal means, which in effect it does (brings a whole new meaning to god metal, yes?), lerasium may grant invincibility via physical/enhancement methods. That seems really plausible to me.

If this is true, there better be a frickin' lerasium vs. atium burning battle in a later Mistborn trilogy, or I will be extremely upset. That would be all kinds of awesome.

I would also like to agree with this notion.  This might also explain why Elend managed to recover from the fatal wound like he did.  He (very temporarily) had super-pewter, which would go a long way towards healing him, or at least stopping him from dying.

I had the same thought as well.

The Lerasium-side effect of becoming a mistborn makes sense. After all, doesn't Atium make you an incredible killing machine (as Sazed mentions in one of the epitaphs).

But what this leads me to wonder is what Lerasium would do as a Spike. Since Atium does something specific in Allomancy, it stands to reason, that a Lerasium Spike would do something specific too. (Although you'd have to be pretty stupid to make a spike out of it instead of just burning it)

Precisely right on both accounts.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 06:21:10 AM »
It's not stupid if done in the name of science and knowledge!!!! :P you can excuse anything under that phrase.... and we have!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »

Perhaps it could steal all of a person's powers, feruchemy and mistborn included? *shrug*

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 04:57:24 PM »
Perhaps [Lerasium] could steal all of a person's powers, feruchemy and mistborn included? *shrug*

No, a previous annotation already said that Atium does for all the powers.  Unless you mean Lerasium could steal more than one power at a time.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »
I just got back from his signing with Inquisitor and I asked B.S. what a lerasium spike would do. He decided to answer as vaguely as possible, it apparently makes you a mistborn with the addition of effects outside the three magic systems which he wouldn't elaborate on. As i left he told Harriet that he wanted to RAFO me but that was the first deep question about one of his books....

P.S. Inquisitor wore his TCU garb b/c of the game today and to taunt Brandon...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 12:44:15 AM »
As i left he told Harriet that he wanted to RAFO me but that was the first deep question about one of his books....

Sad! It's not like there aren't plenty of questions to be asked!

Though, granted, people are kind of obsessing over TGS right now....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 01:41:15 AM »
It must make you a Mistborn because it's giving you that same jolt of Preservation as before.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 03:04:15 AM »
it makes you more than mistborn the question is what?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 06:30:22 AM »
I thought we had reached a consensus that the Atium we see the characters use was the Electrum Alloy form?

I thought myself so clever for coming up with this theory.

At this point I am in a position where I could confirm it or deny it.

However, my position also means that I must do no such thing.

Mwa ha ha ha ha.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 08:07:58 AM »
I thought we had reached a consensus that the Atium we see the characters use was the Electrum Alloy form?

I thought myself so clever for coming up with this theory.

At this point I am in a position where I could confirm it or deny it.

However, my position also means that I must do no such thing.

Mwa ha ha ha ha.

You enjoy this way too much :P

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »
Ok, so maybe I'm over thinking this. But with the number 16 thing and the Mist Sickness, etc. etc. According to the metal chart it doesn't make sense that there would be atium Mistings as one of the 16... which one was left out?? And does that mean there were lerasium Mistings? Where were they? What would they do?

As i left he told Harriet that he wanted to RAFO me but that was the first deep question about one of his books....

Sad! It's not like there aren't plenty of questions to be asked!

Though, granted, people are kind of obsessing over TGS right now....

=( I went to the Chicago signing and I was so excited I forgot all my questions. Lol.
He even asked me when he signed my book, "Do you have any questions?"
And all I could do was smile.
Next time I'll bring a page of them so I don't forget.
(Also I was hesitant asking about any of his books because it was tecnically a TGS signing.) Oh well.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »
Ok, so maybe I'm over thinking this. But with the number 16 thing and the Mist Sickness, etc. etc. According to the metal chart it doesn't make sense that there would be atium Mistings as one of the 16... which one was left out?? And does that mean there were lerasium Mistings? Where were they? What would they do?

Preservation switched cadmium and bendalloy for atium and malatium. It was a temporary switch, and he did it to cadmium because it was the rarest of the sixteen metals on Scadrial, so it would be unlikely people would inadvertently discover it.

Now, lerasium mistings. That's a much more interesting question.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »
Now, lerasium mistings. That's a much more interesting question.

Heh, well, if you're gonna be a misting, may as well be one that will make you a "misting" for all of 10 seconds after you find out. :P

But yeah, that is an interesting idea...
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.