Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*  (Read 33017 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
It was Leras... beyond his name and his function (create the world with Ruin's help then to preserve the world) we know nothing
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2010, 04:02:36 AM »
Hi all, I just recently finished the Mistborn trilogy and had one bit of confusion.  This seemed like the thread to put it, since Brandon Sanderson just did an annotation for the chapter that I had a question about (Chapter 55 in the third book).

Just what (or who) WAS the body that fell when the Mist Spirit/Preservation 'died'?  I don't have the first book (a friend is borrowing it) but something in the description made me think it was Kelsier's body but that raises more questions.

It wasn't Kelsier.  It was Leras.  Who or what Leras is, is currently unknown.
Nature hates being reified.

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »
 :) Is it just me or did it seem the description of Ruin was a tip of the hat to Rand ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:29:42 PM by Seaoftrouble »
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2010, 01:46:01 AM »
He definitely reminded me of Rand, but then again, I discovered Brandon's work because he's finishing WoT so I might be a little biased.

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
He definitely reminded me of Rand, but then again, I discovered Brandon's work because he's finishing WoT so I might be a little biased.
That's how I came across Brandon's books as well.I know it's not Rand but Knowing Brandon is not only a fan of the WOT but one of the authors as well my mind just could not help but go there for a moment when Ruin was described.   
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »
Because the Kandra are made from mistwraiths, the question of humanity is moot.

Is it? They were made into mistwraiths from humans, so there's some sort of implied connection there. Like Koloss, Kandra aren't entierly non-human. You could definitely argue that they're 'post-human', in the sense that they're people that have been dramatically changed into something no longer purely human. Kandra seem to almost exclusively favour human and humanoid forms, for instance. It would certainly be interesting to know just how human these two races are after the events of HoA.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »
I want to know how the progression of Mistwraith to Kandra takes place since I doubt Sazed would allow the Kandra to "procreate" in the usual manner.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2010, 11:35:32 PM »
Moving on.

MB3 Annotation 57...

Ruin's consciousness—separate from his power—isn't a particularly nice being. But you can't much blame him, as there's very little that is left of the mind that once was. The force of Ruin has pretty well molded the mind to fit with the force's intent.

This supports my hypothesis. Long ago I said that when a mind is bound to a Shard, the greater time bound to it, the more the mind is shaped by that power. Points for me.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »
Chaos, half the people on this forum believed that.....

PoBabylon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2010, 02:05:38 AM »
I almost feel bad for Ruin, after all Preservation is the one that betrayed him and wouldn't let him fulfill the deal they had made...

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »
Moving on.

MB3 Annotation 57...

Ruin's consciousness—separate from his power—isn't a particularly nice being. But you can't much blame him, as there's very little that is left of the mind that once was. The force of Ruin has pretty well molded the mind to fit with the force's intent.

This supports my hypothesis. Long ago I said that when a mind is bound to a Shard, the greater time bound to it, the more the mind is shaped by that power. Points for me.

Actually, given the circumstances, it could be argued that Ruin was only able to shape Ati to such a degree because of Leras' betrayal.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
Moving on.

MB3 Annotation 57...

Actually, given the circumstances, it could be argued that Ruin was only able to shape Ati to such a degree because of Leras' betrayal.

Well, we don't know exactly what happened.  But it seems likely that the powers were held by the humans involved long before Scandriel was even mooted.  Ruin claims to Vin that he had held it for a long, long time.

And on the subject, I really do agree that Ruin isn't evil.  Neither is Preservation.  Both are deadly if left unchecked; the Lord Ruler's empire is what happens with Preservation on top, while HoA is what happens when Ruin has his day.  Neither is ideal.  Stopping both was needed.

At some point, Leras probably realized this.  Being bound to Preservation, this was probably easier for him than it would have been for Ati.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »
I suspect that's a major reason Leras designed his plan to try to get a single person in control of both Shards at once.  Presumably, having both of them will cause their influences on Sazed's mind to cancel out, leaving the Hero with a sane non-extremist worldview to guide his use of the two powers.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:14 AM »
OK, this probably seems obvious, but I just realized the full extent of the pattern.

The book "The Final Empire"=preservation on top and then toppled=learning about Allomancy.

"The Well of Ascension"=balance between Ruin and Preservation being destroyed=we learn about Feruchemy.

"The Hero of Ages"=Ruin begins destroying the world and gets stopped by Sazed=we learn about Hemalurgy.

Of course, I really already knew this.  I hadn't realized how thoroughly Brandon had entwined these themes in the structure.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2010, 02:12:15 AM »
I almost feel bad for Ruin, after all Preservation is the one that betrayed him and wouldn't let him fulfill the deal they had made...
Well, Ruin DID say that destructive doesn't mean evil, perhaps the reverse is true.  Preserve at any cost kinda makes you think twice, doesn't it?
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?