Author Topic: Patrick Rothfuss  (Read 15828 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Rothfuss
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2010, 06:22:42 PM »
Um... Towers of Midnight might get pushed to Marchish 2011. Brandon has mentioned this a few times. He is not immune to things taking a while.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2010, 07:16:32 AM »
Um... Towers of Midnight might get pushed to Marchish 2011. Brandon has mentioned this a few times. He is not immune to things taking a while.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing those authors for not getting their books finished using the timeline I wanted, nor am I saying that everything always works out timewise for Brandon. I guess it was more of a tip of my hat to the authors that seem to be constantly working on their stuff. I have a hard enough time just getting motivated to work on my novel, let alone finish a book or two every single year.
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 02:21:31 AM »
I think I saw a guy selling pages on the corner.  But you have to stand with your back to him and pass the money in an envelope. At least that's what they tell me.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »
If I had 8,000 dollars to blow, I would totally bid on this. Pat is one brave guy. Yeah, he gives his stipulations here but there's still a lot of wiggle room there....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
wow...up to 15000 now  :o
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »
I don't know how anyone is able to get past chapter 6/7 of his In the Name of the Wood book.   The story is so dull and uninteresting and yet this is one of the most highly rated fantasy books I've ever seen.   The book must come with some sort of post hypnotic suggestion I'm missing out on on my downloaded copy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:53:51 AM by Moggle »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
I listened to the audiobook. Being a captive audience and committing to finish helps get you into it. My reaction to the beginning was similar to yours.

It's not an original story. It's a familiar story done better than it's ever been done before. Rothfuss is not much of a plotter but he is an excellent storyteller.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »
How long do I have to wait before it starts getting remotely interesting?  I'll try again but the first time was very difficult.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 02:00:26 AM »
How long do I have to wait before it starts getting remotely interesting?  I'll try again but the first time was very difficult.

I don't know, it hooked me the moment Chronicler and Kvothe met.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
I don't know when it hooked me, but I would say give it til Kvothe starts telling his story to Chronicler. He tells it in several sections, and if you're not hooked by the end of his first section (when it switches back to the present time from the past story-telling), I would be very surprised.

Also, the bid ended on 15,200. That is a lot of money to spend on one favor from a best-selling author....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
I gave it a second try and I'm glad I did.  I finished the book in 3 days.  The beginning is still extremely boring, but the rest was great.  It actually reminded me alot of Harry Potter.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
This is now my favorite book, and will be until I find a better. (umm......) I was captured from the first sentence. LOVE this book.

I started reading it to my little brother (11), despite his protests of starting a new book. 'Cause he hates it when I get him hooked on a new book while he's in the middle of one. He's now reading the book on his own. As completely absorbed as I was.

I've read it 4 times now, I think? gets better every time.

I picked up something awesome last time. Kote means disaster. Telling, no?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:10:00 PM by Valkynphyre »
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
Wise Man's Fear comes out in March 2011 right?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »
Yes, it does.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »
So as long as we're talking release dates, Peter...

In January you mentioned that Towers of Midnight might get pushed back to Marchish 2011.  That still a possibility?  I noticed that he's posted 25% through the final draft.  Where does that put the publication schedule?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.