Author Topic: Reliving my childhood: The Secret of NIMH  (Read 2326 times)

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Reliving my childhood: The Secret of NIMH
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
Rewatching a movie that I used to love as a child is an odd experience. The Secret of NIMH is one of those movies that I watched many times as a little kid, then never encountered since. I didn't remember much about it before watching it again, but as I watched, a scene here and a phrase there resonated with the childhood memories buried deep in my brain.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect, watching a kid's movie as an adult, but it surprised me. Yes, its storyline is as simple as you would expect from a movie targeted at young audiences, but what it lacks in complexity it makes up for in depth. It carries an emotional weight that is far beyond most films of its ilk.

What I remembered best about the film, and what impacted me most as a child, was its atmosphere. Though I wasn't hit nearly as hard by it now as I was then, I could still appreciate it. The tone of the beautiful backgrounds is always dark, mystical, and brooding, while the characters are, for the most part, gentle and cutesy (though, thankfully, they don't act the part). The contrast between the two creates a wonderful effect.

What I did not remember at all about the film, and what surprised me the most, was the music. The score is beautifully orchestrated. Unlike so many animated kid's movies, this is not a musical, for which I am deeply grateful. However, the symphonic sounds added at least as much to the atmosphere as did the artwork.

Lastly, one of the voice actresses is named Hermione, proving that, sadly, there are parents in this world who would inflict that name on their children. The world would be a better place if it were just the heinous invention of JK Rowling's mind.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Reliving my childhood: The Secret of NIMH
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 06:19:24 PM »
I do remember that movie having a wonderful atmosphere, similar to things like Tron or Labyrinth. My dad hated it because it was so wildly different than the book, but I still think of it fondly.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:49:02 PM »
I saw it when I was too small, it terrified me.   I vaguely remember reading the book later and thinking, "this wasn't so bad, what was the matter with me?" But I only remember bits and the feeling of sadness and fear along with that movie.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »
I saw it when I was too small, it terrified me.   I vaguely remember reading the book later and thinking, "this wasn't so bad, what was the matter with me?" But I only remember bits and the feeling of sadness and fear along with that movie.

Yeah, this! I don't think it terrified me as a child (or I wouldn't have kept watching it) but I remember it being pretty intense. It has the earmarks of a children's flick, but the tone and atmosphere of a work aimed at adults. Kiddie horror maybe? Hmm...
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
I didn't care for the Secrets of Nimh near as much as the Rats of Nimh which was a much better movie but that's just me
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
I never much liked it as a child.  Not sure why.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."