Author Topic: Kelsier and Ruin *Spoilers*  (Read 2731 times)

Technomancer

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • More powerful than and yet as harmless as I appear
    • View Profile
Kelsier and Ruin *Spoilers*
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »
Do you think Kelsier was spiked/infuenced by Ruin?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:14:57 PM by Technomancer »

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: Kelsier and Ruin *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:34:37 AM »
No i think he was a good man who did the best he could with what he had. i strongly doubt ruin a force of evil influenced him, though his methods where brutal he did what he could for his people.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:32 AM »
I disagree. I think that Ruin influenced Kelsier, with things like the eleventh metal. In fact I think EUOL mentions something about it.... let me see if I can find it.......
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:58:34 AM »
I don't think so, so I have to agreewith echigo. He was a good man and he did a good job with the life that he had. Remember, Ruin held control of Spook in #3 (spoiler) and Spool became a differnt person. I don't think Kelsier could maintain a happy-go-lucky attitude if an evil force was in control of him.
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:05:36 AM »
Well, it depends on what you mean by "control". Do you mean was Kelsier spiked? No. Was he influenced by Ruin  using outside sources? Maybe. Can't be proved tough.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »
In  the MB3 epigraphs, Sazed strongly suspects that Ruin created the "eleventh metal" myth in order to facilitate the Lord Ruler's fall.

You have to remember that Ruin's touch during the Lord Ruler's reign was extremely limited. A very select few could be influenced, and not extensively. Ruin could not control Inquisitors while the Lord Ruler was in power. Even Ruin's over the Lord Ruler was fairly limited--sure, Ruin made him see things he didn't want to, and almost made him go insane, but it is by no means "controlling" him.

Ruin also influenced Vin's mom to make the bronze earring into a Hemalurgical spike into Vin so Ruin could influence her later. I'd think this has more to do with Vin's mother just being naturally unbalanced (similar to Zane), and thus is more susceptible to Ruin's touch, instead of Ruin outright controlling her.

If Ruin influenced Kelsier, it would not be "controlling". At most, Ruin could just create the seeds of the legend and that's about it. I just don't think Ruin would have enough power to influence Kelsier more than that. None of Kelsier's viewpoints gave any impression of being controlled from an external source (to my knowledge). Besides, Ruin is very smart, and so he would know Kelsier well enough to know that Kelsier will have the determination to overthrow the Lord Ruler without any of his deific meddling. Ruin just needed a slight nudge to give him the tool to win.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 04:08:55 AM »
I don't think so, so I have to agreewith echigo. He was a good man and he did a good job with the life that he had. Remember, Ruin held control of Spook in #3 (spoiler) and Spool became a differnt person. I don't think Kelsier could maintain a happy-go-lucky attitude if an evil force was in control of him.

Actually, it's stated quite a few times that Kelsier completely changed after the Pits of Hathsin. I think losing Mare made Kelsier lose himself for a little while, and Ruin stepped in to influence him towards taking vengeance on the Lord Ruler, and started the legend of the Eleventh Metal.

Which is ironic, as it means that the Church of the Survivor is actually based on truth. Kelsier was a regular man, he endured trials and suffering beyond most men's capacity at the Pits of Hathsin, and then he had a spiritual experience and blessing from Ruin. The Church of the Survivor believes that Kelsier received inspiration from God to overthrow the Lord Ruler, and in a way he did.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 04:47:29 AM »
We'll RAFO in the short story that's coming out later.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 04:51:28 AM »

Ah, that's right. I forgot about that. Do you know when it's coming out, by chance? I'd assume not for good long while.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »
I believe it's supposed to come out with the RPG but I have no idea when that will be coming.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »

What are you guys talking about?
Nothing gold can stay.

Technomancer

• Level 2
  • More powerful than and yet as harmless as I appear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »
All very good points.  I think Kelsier might have had a whisper from Ruin once.  It was during the battle in the square when he saved Elend.  Kelsier hated noblemn but when it came to Elend he acted differently.  Some would say it was for Vin's sake, and that's at least partially true, I think.  However Kelsier had the thought 'She loves him' and saved Elend who Ruin then told Vin to go back to.  It's foshy.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
Remember, not everyone needs to be spiked to hear Ruin. Also people who already have a tenuous grip on sanity can hear him faintly. And while Kelsier is not quite insane, I don't think his mental state was ever the same after Mare died and he Snapped in Hathsin.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »
I think Kelsier saw things difrerently after Mare died. I still wouldn't call him insane but he didn't have the same veiwpoint. I think he finally saw what he was up against.
Nothing gold can stay.