Author Topic: I need...  (Read 3769 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
I need...
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »
About another hour of music that I can learn and perform on Saturday. I've filled up one hour already; I'm slated to play for two.

Any genre of music, but something that can be done by one person with an acoustic guitar.

Suggestions? ; ;

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: I need...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »
depends what you like. groups like U2, Collective Soul, Incubus, STP, Eric Clapton, and even Jamiroquai have stuff that can be played acoustic and sound fabulous. Or, Flight of the Conchords if you want some silly stuff.

edit: Johnny Cash does a great cover of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:11:24 PM by Used to be an Important Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:41:49 PM »
Most filk music is one person with an acoustic guitar. Here is some. You could do The Horse-Tamer's Daughter and fill 13 minutes. (Just kidding.) Songs I would recommend from that page are Hope Eyrie, Fellowship Going South, Merlin, Ladyhawke, and Mineral Rights.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:12:10 PM »
Mostly I play/sing country, jazz and swing stuff, but I'm pretty much happy to do anything that's not metal or rap. (That'd be pretty hard to do on an acoustic, anyway.)

I don't mind silly stuff. I mean, I've already stuffed my playlist full of Jonathan Coulton music.  At least, the stuff I can get away with singing to a general audience. (No zombies, vampires, or evil overlords.)

Oooh, Eric Clapton. I wonder if I could learn his Change The World by Saturday? (Waaah! It's in Gb! Why is it in Gb?!)

Oh. Filk stuff! *checks it out too*

Thanks for the suggestions. Whee music!

Edit: I see Horse-Tamer's Daughter was played by someone on a 12-string guitar... That's what I play...

Also, after hearing the Tech Support song I'm tempted to write one of my own.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:33:16 PM by Silk »

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:34:40 PM »
You play 12-string?  That's almost a lute!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:12:11 AM »
John Allred does a lot of stuff with just an acoustic guitar. So does Matt Kearney. My sisters are obsessed with Jonathan Stark, which is just a dude singing with his guitar. Frankly he's a bit bland for my taste, but you may like him.

J Minus might have some stuff you could do, as well. See http://jminus.com and http://myspace.com/jminusband/ . Look for "Anna Rose", which is pretty much just a guitar and a piano (and is a very lovely song).
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:15:56 AM »
I like Horse-Tamer's Daughter, but it's just so long it would probably bore a lot of people.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:38:01 AM »
Yes, I play 12-string. I think the first time I played one I was about eight years old. Fell in love with the sound, and after that simply had to have one.

Oook: I'm listening to it now, and I like it, but you're probably right. Also, I see the band you took your name from, and I'll have to check them out. (It actually took me a minute to remember you saying that you'd taken your name from them at all; my initial reaction was somewhere along the lines of, "Hey, I know that guy!")

Thanks Ryos. :) Checking out!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
The acoustic version of Plastic Stars by Freezepop is an amazingly pretty song.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »
Ooh. I like the name!

Must wait until I can still headphones from my brother though. *hates not having working speakers* Sigh.

PS Clapton's Change The World is fun to play.